Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: [0.96a] Foxy's Quality of Life - Cosmetic Tweaks - 192.168.0.5  (Read 43306 times)

Foxy

• Commander
  • About me: I make simple mods ^__^
    • View Profile

Intro: I have made this mod initially for personal use, but the more I edited the files the more I realize I can share this beauty (cosmetic mod) with you guys. So here we go again!

Download Me
Addons
(just drop them on top of the main mod)

Custom Cursors

What does this do?
Spoiler
Well, I am glad you asked. First of all it adds new music, sound effects and graphic illustrations that refine the look and feel of the game. Not to say that the original material is not good, but as it stands right now it's pretty much in broad strokes. I handpicked the things that are adequate for my tastes, and so I have dug the ends of the Internet in search of epic material to enhance the Quality of Life (hehe).

The music and sounds effects have the purpose to give more personality to the various in-game vanilla factions. The Persean League got a color revamp because that yellow was driving me crazy and I was always mixing it with Hegemony. The fog (in the tactical battle screen) has suffered a color change as well since everything was way too blue everywhere, and now everything is easier to follow on the map. Some small adjustments to the zoom camera have been implemented so you can zoom in and see those beautiful ship pixels. I'm too tired to remember the rest, just play and have fun <3

I have added all the credits (in the game files - all creative commons licensed) to all of the materials that I have used, and I highly encourage you guys to browse those links and support those creators, otherwise super hot looking angels from Hell, wielding ancient flaming axes, will descend and challenge you to a boss fight!

Also, in the Quality Of Life\data\config\ in settings.json and sounds.json there are a few extra things (game mechanics and 2 additional music tracks) you can toggle on. I have set those off by default to prevent any other mod incompatibility, and as for the 2 mentioned tracks.. well those are just awesome but they don't really fit in with the game style, but do check them out of you are curious. Do all the changes to your heart's desire, as this is an "all you can edit" buffet, plus I left plenty of descriptions in these files for an easy guide-through! If you have any question, then feel free to desperately scream in the comment section and I will make sure to find you!

As a last mention, I did not replace everything as I wanted to work around some of the core elements of the game to make it feel more natural, hence why I left some of the original illustrations and main campaign tracks in place. This is not meant to be a total conversion, but as my insanity settles in better, I shall try to bring better updates in the future where I see fit.

Known Issues: The sound effect for leveling up also applies to your officers (when you level them up). I did not find a way to separate those 2 in the game files, but let's be real, you will always recruit better officers with max level rather than bothering yourself to upgrade some scurvy rookies!
[close]

Here is a shy preview:

BEFORE YOU CLICK: This video is meant to showcase the music, camera zoom, tactical battle mode - fog color, Persan League faction color, and various GUI Illustrations that have been added to the MOD, the flags are from my other mod ( Super Cool Factions) and the ships and stations are from 2 other mods that I could not remove because they would crash my save:

Tahlan Shipworks by Nia Tahl

Terraforming and Station Construction by boggled

Cool mods, check them out!!!

https://vimeo.com/711761277

Updates:
Spoiler
Update 1: I added faction bar illustrations for each individual faction now! As always, I have attached the credits to the authors in the mod files!

Update 2: Added the Player Faction to the Intel interface in Faction Relationships! Also, added custom mouse cursors addon for download.

Update 3: Included a toggle setting (in the settings.json) to stop the White Eye Melting Flashes when a big ship dies.

Update 4: Small change to the Distress signal sound FX and added the "baseNumOfficers" in the settings file.
[close]

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 14, 2023, 10:25:41 AM by Foxy »

Foxy

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Foxy's Quality of Life - Cosmetic Tweaks
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2022, 01:26:11 AM »

Just some in-house maintenance..
« Last Edit: May 08, 2022, 03:57:20 AM by Foxy »

Big Bee

• Commander
  • bugs are cool
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Quality of Life
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2022, 02:58:22 AM »

It sounds nice, but if it is just a music/graphics mod then naming it 'Quality of Life' might be confusing as it isn't really a QoL mod like QoL Pack.
People might come to check this mod out looking for completely different content than it provides, and people looking for graphics/music changes might not see it because of it.

Foxy

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2022, 03:34:05 AM »

It sounds nice, but if it is just a music/graphics mod then naming it 'Quality of Life' might be confusing as it isn't really a QoL mod like QoL Pack.
People might come to check this mod out looking for completely different content than it provides, and people looking for graphics/music changes might not see it because of it.
Oh snap, didn't even realize there was already a mod with this similar name. Hmmm.. I shall add some more detail in the title such as: Foxy's Quality of Life - Cosmetic Tweaks to clear the confusion :)

Ok, I updated my link and name to avoid the conundrum. Thank you for the nice feedback, you are super awesome and I hope you like the small additions this mod brings! I think the initial version you downloaded did not have the last few settings that should have been turned off by default, so try to re-download if those are missing or active there.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2022, 03:53:33 AM by Foxy »

Oni

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2022, 12:09:27 PM »

Hmm... might need more screenshots, maybe some music samples too?

Foxy

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2022, 01:55:51 PM »

I'm not a very technical fox, so I'm not sure how to do that! :( Sorry.

Foxy

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2022, 02:15:04 PM »

Well, this is the best I can do to get a screenshot:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Foxy

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2022, 02:15:37 PM »

Well, this is the best I can do to get a screenshot:
I am not sure how to add the music here!

Foxy

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2022, 01:34:37 PM »

This is the worst screen capture of my life, the screen text is from the site, can't do anything about that :(

The audio sux, so I kind of gave up half way through the recording!

https://embed.api.video/vod/vi1ycgiTWoo0mFLgvume3bZt

Well, never mind, seems the link does not work anymore. Might try to do a new recording later on when I get a chance!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 08:36:34 AM by Foxy »

Mikomikomiko

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Kitbash album. Not a modder, just a bote maker :P
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2022, 07:34:33 PM »

Nice job :). Some of these look familiar, never made the connection they'd fit in with the game ambiance

Foxy

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2022, 10:18:46 PM »

Nice job :) . Some of these look familiar, never made the connection they'd fit in with the game ambiance
Woow, those are some really dope ships! <3 Love them!

Foxy

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2022, 11:06:43 AM »

Let's Hope this video works

BEFORE YOU CLICK: This video is meant to showcase the music, camera zoom, tactical battle mode - fog color, Persan League faction color, and various GUI Illustrations that have been added to the MOD, the flags are from my other mod ( Super Cool Factions) and the ships and stations are from 2 other mods that I could not remove because they would crash my save:

Tahlan Shipworks by Nia Tahl

Terraforming and Station Construction by boggled

Cool mods, check them out!!!

https://vimeo.com/711761277
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 11:17:57 AM by Foxy »

Foxy

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2022, 09:07:30 PM »

I made a small update with the bar illustrations for each individual faction. Cheers!

Oni

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2022, 06:30:31 PM »

Well, the video certainly gives a better example of what's in the mod so I'll give it a try, can it be added mid-game?

Also, could probably do with a version number in the title, it'd make it easier to track if we've got the most recent version.

Foxy

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2022, 09:25:00 PM »

Yeah, it should work mid game, even with if you enable those game mechanics value in the config file. Sure, I can add a version number :)
Cheers for the feedback!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6