Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My new shield shunt monitor build breaks the game  (Read 4000 times)

Morpheus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
My new shield shunt monitor build breaks the game
« on: May 03, 2022, 03:31:08 PM »

So I started thinking, what if I subverted all expectations?  Because I think I read a quote somewhere about Sun Zoo, who wrote the art of the deal. "Be what your enemy could never be."  So I designed this ship that I'm very proud of.  Check it out.

https://imgur.com/a/moJOfp4

As you can see, the armor rating is through the roof, it's got burst damage, it's got dps, it's got anti strikecraft weaponry.  I could put 40 of these things on the battlefield and roll across 3 radiant ordo fleets like so many flower petals in the wind.

over 350 armor, shirking damage.  I know that monitors were designed to be shield tanks, but hold on.  That's why they'll never see these little armored bunnies coming.  I've tacked on an integrated targeting unit to leverage the flak cannons for long distance enemies and when they get maxed out on flux from the 100% accurate fire and uninterruptible turret fire, that's when I 1 shot them with the torpedoes.   I know what you're thinking, if they EMP the flak cannons, what do you do then?  That's why I installed the automated repair unit to make sure that monstrous firepower is back online in seconds.  Nothing is stopping this little train from getting to the station. 

I would avoid telling your friends about this because it's only a matter of time before the dev finds out about it, but for now, feel free to use it.  Have fun in the sector!
It's all or nothing, there is no in between.

Rojnaz

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: My new shield shunt monitor build breaks the game
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2022, 03:51:48 PM »

Sire that's a weird Vanguard you got there!

Flying Birdy

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2022, 04:44:19 PM »

That just looks like an expensive crew suicide vehicle to me.

Kos135

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2022, 08:08:12 PM »

The Monitor's built-in hullmod, Flux Shunt, allows it to vent hard flux at 50% the usual rate while its shields are up. It also has a shield flux/damage ratio of 0.8. This is a ship that specializes in shield tanking.

If you want an armor-tanked frigate then go for a Vanguard. It has Damper Field for a ship system, which reduces all incoming damage by 67% for frigates at the cost of shutting down weapons while it's active. Vanguard has 3000 hull/600 armor VS the Monitor's 1500 hull/175 armor. In addition to that it's significantly faster, 135 top speed VS the Monitor's 90 top speed, and the Vanguard also has Burn Drive (yes it has two ship systems). 60 ordnance points VS 30 ordnance points. Much more firepower. And since it comes without a shield you don't have to spend any OP for Shield Shunt.
You cannot trick an honest man, only a villain will fall for it.

Daynen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2022, 09:48:38 AM »

As a man who enjoys subverting expectations and turning ships to uses no one else is crazy enough to pull off, I gotta say I'm not impressed with this one.  The monitor is an ABSURD shield tank, not just because of flux shunt but because it's also a frigate with good speed and handling.  Some ships can be subverted into unusual roles--I'm an atlas mk II fan myself--but the monitor is tailor made for shield tanking specifically and nothing else.  The reason monitors are so hard to kill is because a shield remains at full power when hit whereas armor is constantly losing damage reduction with every point lost.

If it's what you've currently got to work with and it's working for you than nobody can stop you; I just don't see myself doing this.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2022, 08:26:32 PM »

Has a blob of these things actually beaten three-Radiant ordos or is the whole post just an elaborate troll?

Vanshilar

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2022, 09:13:03 PM »

Has a blob of these things actually beaten three-Radiant ordos or is the whole post just an elaborate troll?

I did try out a full fleet of Monitors using Support Doctrine vs Ordos before. In fact that was the first fleet I tried when trying to figure out how to make Support Doctrine work. Pretty much unkillable, but took too long to kill stuff. Eventually I switched over to a fleet of Brawler (LP) instead, which kills stuff much faster.

By the way, the "cloneship" command from https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=23024.0 was invaluable in testing out a bunch of different fleet setups, since you only have to make the ship once and then can make as many copies as you'd like. (The mod also does stuff like lets you find all gates in your game, etc.)

Sharp

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2022, 09:59:27 AM »

It's "elaborate" troll. Using fleet of monitors without shields obviously isn't going to work, especially when just armed with flak cannons and reapers.

wraithstalke

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2022, 10:03:24 PM »

I kinda feel like the expanded cargo holds might have been a hint there.

Null Ganymede

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2022, 03:32:43 AM »

I think I read a quote somewhere about Sun Zoo, who wrote the art of the deal. "Be what your enemy could never be."
Sir you are a poet. I await your entries to the next AI Tournament!

Doctorhealsgood

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2022, 07:10:19 AM »

What
Quote from: Doctorhealsgood
Sometimes i feel like my brain has been hit by salamanders not gonna lie.