Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Sindrian Diktat Changes  (Read 8239 times)

Üstad

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Sindrian Diktat Changes
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2022, 01:34:21 PM »

It's not a democracy thing. There's no democratic militaries. It's definitely a shame that the rare pretty midline ships are straight downgrades unless you're fighting nothing but remnants in coronas.

It'd be cool if the Lion was a Napoleon or Alexander the Great character but the Diktat's been holed up in one system since its formation. One of the pirate Warlords is a better fit for that role. Maybe he can be a John Boyd type: brilliant and revolutionary in his niche, big ego and fanatical adherents, not as much of a generalist as they think they are.
If you read my rest of the post I made suggestion to implement the lore with more interest way, erratic ship systems can easily give them a unique identity, fits the Alex's insisted lore and more interesting gameplay options  :)

My man explained himself why are the other skins interesting but somehow got to the wrong conclusion. Also the pirate Wolf costs 4 DP instead of 5 DP... If you don't like snarky posts then please look up the information you're arguing on a forum.

And the final thing that keeps getting brought up is an amusing argument that "not ever ship needs to be used by the player". I simply ask why, what do you get from having obviously bad/trap choices in a game? Let's say you have a whole class of weapons in an RPG that suck and you're only challenging yourself by using them. Why spent development time and effort, making something that will only get used once until the player realizes that "well this is trash" and then never look at it again. If the answer is "worldbuilding" or "for the lulz" I give up on this discussion.
Completely agree with this.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2022, 11:10:39 AM by Üstad »

Drazan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2022, 03:24:15 PM »

The blog post also makes it sound like the elite weapons are for LG patrols only - but more likely it's using the existing game system of commissioned reputation gating access to elite equipment on the Military market.

Sign commission, run a few missions, get a few contacts and bam - you're the Lion's Guard now! Time to load up on cheap fuel and go hunt Remnant fleets with your flashy purple assault ships that do heavy kinetic damage from energy mounts.

In the blogpost and in the discussion thread Alex have confirmed that they can only be obtained by killing their executors

dostillevi

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2022, 08:08:27 PM »

If you read my rest of the post I made suggestion to implement the lore with more interest way

Been thinking about this.  If the Lion's Guard is meant to represent the fist of the dictator, I'd bet that makes non-LG officers a bit nervous. They might behave a bit differently in the presence of officers commanding LG ships, trying to guess how to please the officer, or at least avoid their gaze. They might even behave randomly 1 or 2 levels more cautiously or more aggressively than normal, at random, when LG ships with officers are present in the fleet.

Antelope Syrup

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2022, 07:40:34 AM »

If you read my rest of the post I made suggestion to implement the lore with more interest way

Been thinking about this.  If the Lion's Guard is meant to represent the fist of the dictator, I'd bet that makes non-LG officers a bit nervous. They might behave a bit differently in the presence of officers commanding LG ships, trying to guess how to please the officer, or at least avoid their gaze. They might even behave randomly 1 or 2 levels more cautiously or more aggressively than normal, at random, when LG ships with officers are present in the fleet.

That's definitely a stretch. The change wouldn't be that noticeable to the player, because the LG becomes both more aggressive and cautious at the same time, the average stays the same. To begin with, this thread was originally about the developer making gamepley changes based on lore justifications.
:)

SirFuzzWuzz

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2022, 08:06:41 AM »

I get the 'dictator bad at ship design' schtik and I think having it represented in hullmods is a good impementation, dictator says more armor -> more armor but with some negatives as well, it shouldn't be all negative, Andrada is supposed to be a competent commander so he should know what is good for a ship to have even if its impementation causes more problems than benefits.
The main issue I have is that the 'elite of the elite' lions guard are the only ones with the special hullmod and they're not any better than their default counter part. Just the fact that they have more resourses behind them should result in some better performance, I don't buy that mr dictator micromanaged every last detail making any extra resources in their construction mute.
Tbh I'd like to see a 'sindrian overhaul' given to all ships in sindria, representing imposed changes by andrada giving some bonus and negatives and for the lions guard to have a "lions guard" built-in hullmod with better stats due to more resources and/or the more skilled crew in addition to the 'sindrian overhaul' and more energy mounts than practical since andrada really wants to play high tech.

Antelope Syrup

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2022, 08:42:33 AM »

The reason why only the Lion's gaurd have the hullmod is because they are given the most of the Supreme executors "attention". They do have the most resources of the sindiran fleet, as shown by the fact they have zero D mods other than spec. modifications. Again, this is still a bad way to demonstrate Andrada's overreach in the military. As many others have suggested the LG ships should have alternate mounts or systems to diversify gameplay instead of creating a group of basically useless ships.
:)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]