Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27

Author Topic: Uniquifying the Factions, Part 2  (Read 38368 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Uniquifying the Factions, Part 2
« on: April 30, 2022, 10:11:58 AM »

Blog post here.

memeextremist

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Uniquifying the Factions, Part 2
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2022, 10:30:58 AM »

YEAH BOYEEE!! Excited to see the new release!

tomatopaste

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2022, 10:33:40 AM »

Energy Bolt Coherer -> Energy Bolt Collimator?

tomatopaste

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2022, 10:34:00 AM »

sick blog post btw

SirHartley

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2022, 10:42:12 AM »

You could have named that weapon anything, legit -anything-, and you went with G I G A C A N N O N.

This is why I stick around.
Yall are the best.
<3

Timid

• Admiral
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2022, 10:42:39 AM »

Alongside that change, the ship’s main battery is changed to the “synergy” slot type, meaning it can mount energy or ballistic weapons.
Hybrid renamed to Synergy confirmed?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2022, 10:44:18 AM »

Energy Bolt Coherer -> Energy Bolt Collimator?

Hmm - I think while "collimator" is probably a more correct word, we're basically in made-up techno-word territory and "coherer" is perhaps more immediately understandable. Learned a new word today, though, thank you!

sick blog post btw

:D

You could have named that weapon anything, legit -anything-, and you went with G I G A C A N N O N.

This is why I stick around.
Yall are the best.
<3

Hahah! I'm ... glad that this name is appreciated. <3

Alongside that change, the ship’s main battery is changed to the “synergy” slot type, meaning it can mount energy or ballistic weapons.
Hybrid renamed to Synergy confirmed?

Ooops! Thank you, fixed that up.

Ruddygreat

• Admiral
  • Seals :^)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2022, 10:45:30 AM »

T H E G I G A C A N N O N

amazing, 11/10, no notes

though as an actual comment - this stuff all looks amazing, esp. the new LG skins!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2022, 10:49:06 AM »

though as an actual comment - this stuff all looks amazing, esp. the new LG skins!

Thank you! I really love what David did with those, too.

Mordodrukow

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2022, 10:49:52 AM »

Already can see Pegasus being big pain in the ass regardless of whether it is on your side or on the enemy's  :D
Spoiler
[close]

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2022, 10:50:25 AM »

Exciting stuff, thanks for sharing. Is the Nova sporting a new color scheme for the Remnants (blue instead of teal) or is it just the effect of the Comsec filter?

michail

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2022, 10:54:20 AM »

I wonder how DEM will affect shieldless ships. High-power beams is one of their major weaknesses, after all.

AppleMarineXX

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2022, 10:55:20 AM »

Oho, that looks fun, as for my thoughts:

Pegasus: Despite 2 of the Large missiles facing backwards, I still feel like a 4 Hurricane loadout would be a bit imbalanced. I look forward to trying it out regardless!

DEM Missiles: Has there been any considerations on how the Beam missiles interact with unshielded ships like Hounds and the Vanguard? Before, they could kinda deal with missiles with their PD and flares, but if a single Sunder with a HIL can demolish a fleet of Hounds, just imagine how a few ships with DEM's would do, especially with their beyond-PD range and accuracy.

Sindrian Stuff: I get the lore reason behind it, but I kind of don't like the Lions Guard ships being worse than the generic counterparts. The XIV ships are mostly better across the board given their hullmod and improved flux stats, making them a nice treat to pick up.

The LG ships on the other hand, are stuck with a permanent D-mod and worse OP in exchange for the relatively useless Solar Shielding - I feel like there would be little reason for the player to go out of their way to grab a LG Eagle. Perhaps I'm too spoiled by the LG ships in mods, that usually are a step above the basic versions.

Ludd Stuff: I first bought this game after watching Sseth's video, and always thought the pathers would be ramming me with exceptionally explosive tanker ships like the space jihadis that they were. The wonderful Luddic Enchancement mod has this, but I wondered if there would ever be official integration of the Kamikaze Tanker ships.

Wonderful work as always, I eagerly await the next update!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2022, 11:16:35 AM by AppleMarineXX »

Simulated Knave

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2022, 10:58:26 AM »

OK...

There's one thing I do not understand. Why is Sindria using midline ships at all? Their fleet is a rogue Hegemony battlegroup. Surely they should be using Hegemony ships?  Or a mix of Hegemony and stuff they've bought from...whoever would be willing to sell to them.  Are they the Hegemony's testbed fleet that tried using midline ships for some reason? 

Also, while the Lion of Sindria might be a dictator, and surely wouldn't be perfect, he is an intelligent admiral with significant actual combat experience.  They gave him a battlegroup.  The idea that he's a completely negative influence on the fleet is a little odd. He might skew them weirdly, but he shouldn't make them flat-out ineffective and useless (especially since Sindria's not big enough to keep existing if their fleet is useless and their Lion is incompetent and dragging them down).  Plus I concur with AppleMarineXX that it doesn't exactly make it fun to get a LG ship. 

Also also, IMO Sindria's way more interesting if it's a dictatorship with flaws but is actually an improvement over what was there before.  That's far more interesting than the Lion of Sindria just being a bog-standard dictator who thinks he's a genius but isn't.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2022, 11:05:16 AM »

The kinetic blaster seems really interesting and possibly game changing for high tech (maybe aurora will be good now :o).

Ir auto lance seems interesting as well, I'm curious if it will completely take over the niche of low flux cost support in the medium energy slot from the graviton beam.

I'm curious if the beam missiles can fire over allies or not. That would really change their effectiveness IMO.

I'm also really glad to hear squall is getting adjusted. Squall spam was already an issue if you stacked enough ships like apogee in a fleet.

I'll second the opinion that making lions guard ships kinda just downgrades from normal ships feels really bad. At least the executor gets some different mounts that could make it interesting, but if the other LG ships are just normal ships with a d-mod, that's really disappointing IMO.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27