Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: .skin files and shields  (Read 825 times)

#Negi

• Ensign
    • View Profile
.skin files and shields
« on: April 29, 2022, 08:37:37 PM »

I'm testing .skin files, and I noticed I can't change the stats of wings with a skin; I make a 'high tech broadsword' skin, and in it I try to give it a shield and better flux stats, I then make a wing_data and a variant the new skin.  The game loads just fine, it shows my fighter, sprite, description, and weapons, but the shield and flux stats are unchanged.  I try to add a builtin hullmod to the skin; makeshift shield emitter, still nothing changes.  When I add the makeshift shield to the variant file rather than the skin file it works like a charm.  Is it something to do with fighters?  I've added hullmods and changed stats to skins of regular ships before.  Can anyone explain this?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 08:46:33 PM by #Negi »

IonDragonX

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: .skin files and shields
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2022, 03:00:44 PM »

I'd like to look at what you have. Can you cut/paste just the relevant lines into a spoiler section that has a code section like this:
Spoiler
Code
just paste everything here
[close]

#Negi

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2022, 08:58:34 PM »

I'd like to look at what you have.

I don't know what you're asking for, I described exactly what I did.  I added this line to a .skin file for a fighter and it didn't work, I moved that line from the .skin file to the .variant file and it did work.  What are you looking for?

"builtInMods":["frontshield"],

IonDragonX

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2022, 02:50:18 PM »

So, you are successful, correct?
Why ask why, then?

#Negi

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2022, 06:26:14 PM »

So, you are successful, correct?
Why ask why, then?
I'm asking why.  I want to understand what's going on under the hood, because on normal ships I can edit with skin files, that's the point of skin files, but for fighters there are many things that are entirely uneffected by the skin, but the skin still works in that I can change it's name, sprite, etc and make variants that refer to the skin rather than the ship.  I don't understand, and I want to understand.  Maybe I can do something interesting with it once I know what the capabilities are, who knows.