Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Buff Shield Shunt  (Read 554 times)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Buff Shield Shunt
« on: April 29, 2022, 07:45:04 AM »

+15% armor alone is not enough unless player totally min-maxes armor in both hullmods (Heavy Armor and others) and skills (Impact Mitigation and Polarized Armor) and gets EMP resistance elsewhere (Resistant Flux Conduits and Polarized Armor).

Maybe give some of the bonuses of Rugged Construction, like a chance to avoid d-mods.  Also, maybe more EMP resistance... and/or more hull.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Buff Shield Shunt
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2022, 08:12:22 AM »

I agree that EMP resistance was better because it's a hard stat to come by and it's actually not problematic to have, either, even if we're pushing towards 100% EMP resistance.
Armor buff can be problematic on ships like Onslaught, which is likely why it was nerfed.

I prefer the old version and would prefer it just be switched back.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2022, 10:07:52 AM »

I think Shield Shunt needs the armor buff too, but +15% and nothing else is not enough.

With Onslaught and few other ships, I need to every other armor buff (especially Polarized Armor) to make Shield Shunt worth it.

EMP resistance would be nice that it might make Polarized Armor not must-have.  But even with that, if I will likely lose the ship anyway, then something to mitigate death would be nice.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2022, 02:44:43 PM »

Survivability for my heavy armor shieldless ships hinges on being able to use PD and flaks more than having extra thicc armor. If you're facing a HIL then you're in the wrong place, anyhow.

But yes, in a maxed build with skill EMP resist and the hullmod you may be better off trying to maintain high flux and having Shield Shunt give an armor bonus. For general utility, less so.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2022, 04:03:14 PM »

Survivability for my heavy armor shieldless ships hinges on being able to use PD and flaks more than having extra thicc armor. If you're facing a HIL then you're in the wrong place, anyhow.

But yes, in a maxed build with skill EMP resist and the hullmod you may be better off trying to maintain high flux and having Shield Shunt give an armor bonus. For general utility, less so.
Yes, PD is good too, and ships that can use it should get it.  HIL is a weakness, and not much can be done about that other than kill the beamer immediately.  HIL is not too common; I tend to see those in Indie deserter bounties.

The problem with high flux is the AI enters that infamous cowardly loop running away for too long to reach a safe place to vent (then die when they fail because the enemy kept up) because it is too busy cowering away from the enemy.

I am not trying to use Shield Shunt on the flagship.  This is for AI ships, especially those that like to cower anytime they get high flux fast.

After playing around with more shieldless ships (with Shield Shunt) in a fight, I noticed the following:
* Polarized Armor is a must.  It helps them stay alive longer.
* Ships will die.  Hull Restoration is a must to prevent most d-mods if I want to keep the fleet pristine.