Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Perhaps sensor strength should also determine how long we KEEP info on things?  (Read 774 times)

LordBlade

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Was just thinking that it's kind of silly how the second a fleet we've been right up to and identified moves just a bit away from us, it's suddenly an "unidentified signature". I mean, we know exactly what it is, we just saw it.
I think it would make sense that the more sensor strength we have, the longer we keep things we've seen identified. That would go for fleets, derelicts, stations, debris, etc...
I mean, in space future, you'd figure the computers would be good enough to keep a flag on everything we've seen. Even if it shows up as something like "Last Scanned" (so a fleet we've seen that moves out of range stays showing how we last saw it, with the "Last Scanned" tag). When we get closer again, we could see any updates (like if the fleet composition changed).

Just seems to silly to have the memory of a goldfish with these things.

JasonArgo

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Sounds good

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Yes, for the stronger option. Going from identify range to unidentified range should not make UI forget what the fleet was. Only going completely out of sensor range should reset identification.

LordBlade

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Yes, for the stronger option. Going from identify range to unidentified range should not make UI forget what the fleet was. Only going completely out of sensor range should reset identification.
And even then, for things like debris fields and stations, it doesn't make sense for them to just go poof. We've seen them. They should stay marked forever, until we get within range again and they're no longer there (or have changed).
So if you see a debris field, it should stay showing on your map even if you leave the system, because last you knew, there was a debris field there. It would make sense that if the field was estimated to dissipate in X amount of time, then after X it wouldn't show anymore. But for the most part, once something's tagged, it should just stay tagged.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Yes, for static objects it makes sense to keep identification forever/ for expected lifetime.

LinWasTaken

• Commander
    • View Profile

I wholeheartedly agree, i cannot count the times that i had any large unidentified signatures right next to each other when i just moved away to restock on supplies when protecting my colonies and when i return half of them are scrap piles blocking small groups of enemy fleets.

Darloth

• Admiral
    • View Profile

I also expected it to work like this, and was disappointed when it didn't.