Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Search your sector for good colony sites: Persean Commercial Realty Group  (Read 13229 times)

StudentRadio

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Hi!

I developed a web app that Starsector players can use to experiment with different colony builds and find good places to establish colonies. It lets you specify how you want to build your (size-6) colonies, then reads your save file and simulates those colonies on planets in your sector.

I tried to make the simulation as accurate as possible. It factors in accessibility, hazard rating, planetary conditions, structure configurations (improvements, AI cores, and special items), administrators, cross-faction imports, and the demand for commodities in your economy. So it can help you decide whether to colonize a nearby planet with a low hazard rating or a more distant planet with more resources or better conditions for special items, for example.

The search results are sorted by profitability, but you can also see statistics like stability, fleet size, ship quality, and ground defenses.

It'll only show fully-surveyed planets by default, but you can configure it to show spoilers as well if you want to.

Check it out!

https://gomtuu.org/starsearcher/

I've tested it with vanilla Starsector 0.95.1a-RC6 save files.

Oni

• Captain
    • View Profile

A nice idea, though 'Parsing' my Xml seems to be taking a very long time (probably due to mods, I'm still waiting actually), but it would be even nicer if you could add tabs to determine the planet type as well (ie Terran, Barren, Jungle, etc).

That way if you clicked Terran and Jungle, you'd know that the planet it was trying to apply the buildings to was of those types.

ubuntufreakdragon

• Commander
    • View Profile

It searches for the wrong things, you need a list of deposits not some combination of industries.
e.g. I want a system with these min requrements:
rare ore
ore
3 planets min
I also would like these:
violates
organics
food
cyosleeper
gate
for any non essential requirement
i give a score change
food +1000
violates +1000
organics +1000
gate +500
extra planet + 400
greater deposit +50

Also your menus are not really useable on lower screen resolutions.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2022, 02:10:46 PM by ubuntufreakdragon »

StudentRadio

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Thanks for the feedback!

'Parsing' my Xml seems to be taking a very long time (probably due to mods, I'm still waiting actually)

The parsing step usually only takes a few seconds at most, so there must have been an error parsing your save file. And yeah, that's probably because of untested mods.

I updated it to show an error message, at least. And when a parse error occurs, you can find details about the error in the help section. That way, you can send me an error report if you want to.

When I posted this in r/Starsector, some users told me it worked (at least in part) despite the mods they had installed, so it seems like not all mods will cause a fatal error. One that might is Beyond the Sector, but I haven't confirmed that.

Also your menus are not really useable on lower screen resolutions.

Fixed! The dialog boxes are now scaled down if they're too tall to fit in the window.

it would be even nicer if you could add tabs to determine the planet type as well (ie Terran, Barren, Jungle, etc)

It searches for the wrong things, you need a list of deposits not some combination of industries.

While I was working on PCRG, I convinced myself that the final stats are what really matter about a colony or set of colonies. Because PCRG runs a detailed simulation of the colonies—including the effects of resource shortages, stability penalties, in-faction demand discounts, and more—you can see how they'll end up operating and compare them on that basis. So I don't think the ability to specify that a colony must be on a Terran world or must have rare ore would improve the results. Can you give me an example of a situation where it would be beneficial?

Also, FYI: it already lets you search for a planet near a gate or cryosleeper. To search for the latter, just add a cryorevival facility to a colony. (This won't spoil undiscovered cryosleepers for you unless you choose the "Show all planets" spoiler option.)

Phyroks

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Thanks, dont feel like exploring half the sector for colony this time  ;D

Arthur_The_Ok

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

Parsing error

{"stack":"TypeError: Cannot read properties of undefined (reading 'children')\n    at https://gomtuu.org/starsearcher/starsearch.js:1574:39\n    at NodeList.forEach (<anonymous>)\n    at parse_xml (https://gomtuu.org/starsearcher/starsearch.js:1569:55)\n    at https://gomtuu.org/starsearcher/ui.js:677:17","message":"Cannot read properties of undefined (reading 'children')"}

Panteradactyl

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Would you mind if I downloaded this, poked around in the javascript, and rejiggered it to work with my mod list? To add checks for the new planet types, conditions, and industries.

nathan67003

• Commander
  • Excellent imagination, mediocre implementation.
    • View Profile

Edited: My bad, didn't look hard enough.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 09:24:58 AM by nathan67003 »
I have some ideas but can't sprite worth a damn and the ideas imply really involved stuff which I've no clue how to even tackle.

kanliot

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Search your sector for good colony sites: Persean Commercial Realty Group
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2023, 07:56:11 AM »

works fine here.  :) and I really love the idea of the whole thing.

I added 4 colonies into one system, but I wasn't expecting the 10 results to be all permutations of one system (with a buncha planets) ... Is this me, or you?   Perhaps- it was b/c I didn't add in the industries like I was serious. 

Ahh. there's also an "Acc" column.  I shoulda spotted that first.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 08:10:41 AM by kanliot »

Nick9

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2023, 11:35:01 AM »

Are you a genius of some kind?.. I won't comment anything really related, but will just say that this is epic.

redvyper

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2023, 11:25:44 AM »

I am getting "{"fileName":"https://gomtuu.org/starsearcher/starsearch.js","lineNumber":1656,"columnNumber":28,"message":"system is undefined"}"

dynafire

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Would you consider adding a feature to just provide locations of coronal hypershunt and cryosleeper?  I'd much rather go to a nice website to search for it than open the xml file..

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile

{"stack":"TypeError: Cannot read properties of undefined (reading 'x')\n    at https://gomtuu.org/starsearcher/starsearch.js:1623:55\n    at NodeList.forEach (<anonymous>)\n    at parse_xml (https://gomtuu.org/starsearcher/starsearch.js:1600:77)\n    at https://gomtuu.org/starsearcher/ui.js:677:17","message":"Cannot read properties of undefined (reading 'x')"}

Sadly I'm getting this error...
Mod list:
Spoiler
Lightshow:1.41
Autosave:1.2
Better Deserving Smods!:1.64
Blackrock Drive Yards:0.9.5b2
Combat Chatter:1.13.1
Combat Misc Utils:0.3.2
Common Radar:2.5b
Console Commands:2021.12.25
Content Unlocking Missions:1.12
Dassault-Mikoyan Engineering:1.6a
Diable Avionics:2.7.0rc3
Epta Consortium:2.0.0
Exiled Space:0.1.4
ExtraSystemReloaded-master:1.0.0
Fleet Action History:1.0.8
Flux Reticle:1.2.1
Fuel Siphoning:1.2.2
Grand.Colonies:1.0.d
Grytpype and Moriarty's Defense Authority:0.9.9d
Hex Shields:1.2.0
Hyperdrive:2.3.1
Interstellar Imperium:2.5.2
Iron Shell:1.181
LazyLib:2.7b
Legacy of Arkgneisis:v1.9.11
LunaLib:1.6.0
MagicLib:0.42.1
Neutrino Detector Mk.II:1.3.0
Nexerelin:0.10.6d
Outer Rim Alliance:0.95rc1
Overlord's Additional Console Commands:1.1
Pearson Exotronics:0.7.2
Progressive S-Mods:0.8.7
Quality Captains:1.1.1h
Quality Captains Config:1.1.0
RogueliteSector:1.4.5
Ruthless Sector:1.4.0
ScalarTech Solutions:0.8.5
Scan Those Gates:1.5.1
Seeker - Unidentified Contact:0.5.3rc1
Ship/Weapon Pack:1.13.0
Special Hullmod Upgrades:1.3
SpeedUp:0.7.2
Starfarers Workshop:1.5.1
Starship Legends:2.2.2
UAF Skills:1.1.1
Underworld:1.7.1
United Aurora Federation:0.7.3c1
Unknown Skies:0.43
Unofficial New Game Plus:2.1.0
Unofficial Rule Book:1.1.2a
VIC:1.5.8a
Vayra's Sector:3.2.1
Version Checker:2.0b
WhichMod:1.2.1
Audio Plus:1.1.3
GraphicsLib:1.6.1
[close]
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Euphytose

• Captain
    • View Profile

Thank you so much for this. I explored so many stars and didn't find one Terran world. Now I know where to find it.

Only 4 Terran worlds in my entire save file, that's crazy.

Edit: I will use this whenever I make a new save now. I know it's cheating a bit, but exploring to find THAT one world is incredibly annoying. Even if you sometimes find good things just laying around.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2023, 08:07:16 AM by Euphytose »

Allafif

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Error message for you.

{"fileName":"https://gomtuu.org/starsearcher/starsearch.js","lineNumber":1623,"columnNumber":21,"message":"body_coords[body_id] is undefined"}
Pages: [1] 2 3 4