Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Planet Search Overhaul (07/13/24)

Author Topic: Nvidia Dynamic Super Resolution issue  (Read 522 times)

dostillevi

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Nvidia Dynamic Super Resolution issue
« on: April 27, 2022, 04:14:03 PM »

Nvidia has a feature called Dynamic Super Resolution that allows rendering at higher-than-native resolutions which are then downscaled by the driver to native resolution. Starsector seems like a good candidate for this, since it already has good UI scaling and isn't already overly graphics-intensive. While the game boots just fine into a higher than native resolution, unfortunately, I ran into an issue with window switching.

if I switch focus to another window and then return to the game, the borderless game window occupies a corner of my screen but behaves as if it was full screen (can't move the mouse out of the defined area unless I alt-tab). The window also only shows a portion of the game that would appear in that corner. I can't take a screenshot of this situation, since trying to take a screenshot causes the game to lose focus since it's not truly in full screen at the time, but rather some janky borderless window state.

Anyway, I can try to take a picture with my phone if there's any interest in making Dynamic Super Resolution work with the game.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Nvidia Dynamic Super Resolution issue
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2022, 04:15:40 PM »

Hmm - can you try running the game with "fullscreen" checked in the launcher? That should get around any borderless window issues since the game will not be running in one.

dostillevi

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2022, 04:43:26 PM »

Full screen is the only option that works with Dynamic Super Resolution. It only shifts into the borderless state after switching windows.

The events happen something like this:

1. I select a higher resolution from the launcher. My native resolution is 2560x1440, but I select the highest option available. Fullscreen is checked.
2. When the game launches and goes full screen, my desktop resizes to the selected resolution and the game runs as expected, taking up the full screen.
3. If I switch focus to another window, the desktop resolution returns to 2560x1440, since the higher resolution is only applied to Starsector when it's full screen.
4. When I return to starsector, my desktop returns to the higher resolution, and the game is displayed in a (guessing) 2560x1440 window in the upper left. The game is still at the higher resolution, but I see the bottom left of the game screen within that 2560x1440 window. I see my desktop elsewhere on the monitor. My mouse is constrained within the game window while it's in focus.

Screenshots/photos here: https://imgur.com/a/JrciGn0

dostillevi

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2022, 04:46:08 PM »

Incidentally, I just tried running at a lower than native resolution and had a similar issue with the game not being centered correctly after switching focus. It only seems to work correctly if the selected game resolution is also my monitor's native resolution.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2022, 05:03:27 PM »

One thing to try might be to right-click on the game, go to Properties -> Compatibility -> Change High DPI settings and then mess with the options there - that might help.

(I don't think this is something I can do much about on my end; it seems like either the OS or the driver doing something weird.)