Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Borderless Window mode?  (Read 4438 times)

LordBlade

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Borderless Window mode?
« on: April 26, 2022, 06:32:28 PM »

Would we be able to get a borderless window mode (or borderless fullscreen or whatever you call it)?
That's how I prefer to play things, as I tend to have videos playing in the background while I play and alt-tab a lot.

Drazan

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Borderless Window mode?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2022, 02:10:08 AM »

Yeah that would be so good. Dont know if its too hard to implement but if not then pls pls do it.

LordBlade

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2022, 02:48:11 AM »

Just... set the resolution to your screen size and don't play with fullscreen enabled?
Problem is when you alt-tab to check something else and come back, you're usually stuck with the taskbar at the bottom of the screen. Or you'll get jankiness with the mouse being out of window.
I mean, if they can't program it in, then just say so and that's fine. But honestly I'm shocked when a game comes out and there's no a borderless option, it's pretty basic.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2022, 03:29:49 AM »

I do not have that problem when running at my screen rez with fullscreen off. It works as borderless windowed perfectly.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2022, 07:22:26 AM »

I run mine as an undecorated window with 1680x1010, leaving exactly the 40 pixels for the taskbar. I love it. Can't do that in most games. But yeah, full res without fullscreen ticked should do the trick.

PureTilt

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2022, 08:05:26 AM »

Just... set the resolution to your screen size and don't play with fullscreen enabled?
Its just sets game to fullscreen or some weird version of it. You cant alt-tab from it in first phase of loading, it stops sound when window is not active
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 08:11:04 AM by PureTilt »

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2022, 10:26:25 AM »

Open up settings.json, set alwaysUndecoratedAtFullscreen to true if it isn't already, and uncomment the line with resolutionOverride and set your own resolution. I've got mine set to 1918x1078 (2 pixels less than my full resolution), and it works fine for all intents and purposes as borderless fullscreen.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2022, 11:32:57 AM »

Its just sets game to fullscreen or some weird version of it. You cant alt-tab from it in first phase of loading, it stops sound when window is not active

It doesn't, actually - it sets the game to run in a borderless window at your full screen resolution. The problem is that graphics drivers (or the OS, whatever) detect that this is happening and treat this as something between a proper window and proper fullscreen, but this isn't something the game can do much about - it's asking to run in a borderless window in that case.

PureTilt

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2022, 06:09:41 PM »

It doesn't, actually - it sets the game to run in a borderless window at your full screen resolution. The problem is that graphics drivers (or the OS, whatever) detect that this is happening and treat this as something between a proper window and proper fullscreen, but this isn't something the game can do much about - it's asking to run in a borderless window in that case.
but it wasn't been happening before 0.95a, i was playing at 1920x1080 game was staying in windowed and by using borderless gaming i was getting borderless window

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2022, 06:21:26 PM »

Hmm - nothing changed in that part of the code for 0.95a, though. It's possible that something changed in the driver and it's now handling it differently? I suppose if you tried the previous version of the game that would tell you for sure whether the change is in the game (possible, but I can't think offhand what that could be) or on your system.

PureTilt

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2022, 06:38:14 PM »

downloaded 0.9.1a same thing, its indeed a driver, now to find how to fix it