Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Which game is suitable for vacation?  (Read 1475 times)

DavidMiranda

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Which game is suitable for vacation?
« on: April 26, 2022, 08:49:52 AM »

Lately I've been enjoying playing games, I like to play games to relieve stress after stressful working hours. I'm looking for a new game to play during my 1 week break because I just finished a project. Do you know any interesting games? please share it with me!! Thank you very much !!

Network Pesci

• Commander
  • Hopefully, amusing you.
    • View Profile
Re: Which game is suitable for vacation?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2022, 08:53:09 AM »

I'll bite, I got nothin better to do right now.

There's this one video game StarSector, used to be called StarFarer, I don't know if you've heard of it.  In my lifetime I've probably got more hours in StarSector than any other video game.  It's really excellent if you're into that kind of thing and you can run it on a fairly light system, any cheap laptop made in the past five years can play it.  You should check it out.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2022, 02:55:43 PM »

What is up with these bots creeping into this forum?

That said, I've recently picked up Terraria with the Calamity mod and I gotta say it has totally revitalized the game for me. I had over 500 hours in vanilla Terraria but hadn't played it in years. Now with the Calamity mod I've got near 80 hours in 2 weeks.

LinWasTaken

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2022, 12:21:48 PM »

OK! I'm a bit late to the party.
*cracks fingers*
TL;DR:

Turn based strategy games:
Divinity original sin 2, Civ V.

Real time strategy games:
Stellaris, Red alert 3.

First person shooters:
Doom 2016, Gunfire reborn, fallout new Vegas.

Rogue like/lite:
The binding of isaac repentance, Risk of rain 2.

Point and click games.
Deponia series.

souls like:
Dark souls 1, Salt and sanctuary.

card games:
Yu-gi-oh (duel nexus with friends).

platforming games:
Super Mario maker.

NOT TL;DR
Divinity original sin 2 : it is a game i highly recommend you play with a friend as it has local and online co-op. it is a story rich RPG where you could play as a total of 4 players but i found the most fun playing as 2 "lonewolf" players as it brings a bigger challange. you get to chose what elements of magic your character is able of using apon every level up. max level is 20 but you will most likely finish the game at lvl 19 as you need to do alot of side quests as well as a littl bit of "murder hobo" gameplay to reach level 20. the only gripe i have about the game is the stat bloat from levels. you are going to be outnumbered 9 times out of 10 and the enemies being 1 level higher then your characters is going to make the fight challenging, if they are 2 or more levels higher then you , then the fight will be from very difficult to impossible.

Civ V: a strategy game with many win conditions. Be it conquest, science, religion, etc. you chose what type of victory you are planing on achieving then i highly recommend googling a civilization that would be proficient at achieving it. the rest i would recommend learning by playing the game.

Stellaris: RTS version of Civ V... i would recommend playing CIV V before Stellaris because Stellaris is far more fast pace. its got a pritty mean learning curve but its well worth the trouble. you create your own species of alien and control the stars. watching a short tutorial video is recommended.

Red alert 3: a classic RTS with great music, gameplay, and ok balancing. if you dont feel like playing the game at least listen to the games sound track.

Doom 2016: if you want to "relieve stress after stressful working hours" then DOOM is definitely the game for you. its a game where you keep moving and shooting. the moment you stop moving, you die.

Gunfire reborn: a game that is a combination of an FPS and a rogue lite you slowly get better at the game with experience as well as unlocking new passive buffs for your characters.

fallout new Vegas: a game where you traverse the Mojave finding mysterious things all over whiles getting stronger as you level and find better equipment for your specialization. highly recommended.

The binding of isaac repentance: repentance is the newest and best DLC the game has gotten by FAR. but the game by default is good too. you start off with one or two items (based on the character you chose) and as you progress you will find random items strengthening you in different way. some just increase stats others change the way you attack. different areas have different item pools. if you defeat the floor and its boss without taking any red heart damage. then you have a very high chance of a devil deal door to spawn in witch you can trade some of your max hp for powerful demonic items. if you choose to not go into the devil room and are able to clear another floor and its boss without taking red heart damage then you will have a very high chance of getting an angel room in witch you will get one powerful holy item for free. i leave the rest for your experimentation.

Risk of rain 2: very similar to binding of isaac, but its 3D.

Deponia series: i don't want to spoil anything so ill just say it is the best set of point and click games i have ever played.

Dark souls 1: in my opinion it is the best souls game (game where you drop your collected souls apon death but you can pick them up on your next respawn) out there, having the best map design as well as making armor actually matter in the game. one of the more challenging games on the list.

Salt and sanctuary: a 2D version of dark souls with by FAR the BEST local co-op mode i have ever seen a game have. its also challenging but playing it with a friend via couch coop or (online) local coop via Parsec(a program that lets you play local coop games online).

Yu-gi-oh (duel nexus with friends): specifically on a website called dueling nexus. because most websites/games you have to buy packs with micro-transactions (IRL $ for some PNGs)
while on dueling nexus everyone has all the cards unlocked so building a deck is up to your imagination rather then how much money you spent.

Super Mario maker: a Mario game where other people make the maps, at this point there are more maps then you will be able to play in your lifetime. some of them are FAR more difficult then others.

luplay

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2022, 11:31:02 PM »

League of Legend ?!

LinWasTaken

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2022, 01:50:08 AM »

League of Legend ?!
NO! no no no no no no NO!
i played that game since season 1 to season 11 and the community as well as the game balance just keeps getting worse and worse so i dropped the game and i have never been happier. don't touch that game it will *** you up. make you into a cynical bastard.
for the love of whatever god you believe in don't play league of legends.
anyone who suggests you pick up league of legends is an addict who wants to have more people to play that game with.

Thucklechunks_Mcgee

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2022, 06:27:12 AM »

I find "Outer Wilds" to be a pretty relaxing and enjoyable game.

Ramiel

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2022, 06:43:57 AM »

You can try "Sunless skies"? It's both stressful and relaxing at times....honestly...it very much depends on what game genre you want? I've been playing Elden Ring and having a blast, but what's good for me won't be for someone else....can you give an example of games you enjoyed and we can recommend similar one's?

FallenAngel

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2022, 05:52:16 AM »

If you are looking for relaxing experience then look no further than Stardew Valley. If you are looking for relaxing but adventurous experience then Terraria is your go-to game. If you are looking for, well, experience then how about Factorio? Or any Civilization games are great. Maybe you could elaborate a bit more on what you like?

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2022, 07:27:04 AM »

I find "Outer Wilds" to be a pretty relaxing and enjoyable game.

Yup, loved Outer Wilds.
I would similarly recommend The Witness.

Salter

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2022, 08:06:51 AM »

Imagine playing Vidya Game on vacation like a shmuck.

That said I did bring a switch and play original FF7 in my downtime, flights and the like usually.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2022, 03:55:00 PM »

Crusader Kings 2.
You'll start playing on the flight there, and will still be playing on the flight back. Your holiday destination will be a mere distraction!
Then, after playing for several thousand more hours at home you'll boast to your friends that you've mastered the game. (but you'll be lying)

Life absorbing.

CK3 is nice too... but it's yet to receive the decade of DLC to really flesh it out

Salter

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2022, 06:35:09 PM »

If you can afford that fancy steam switch look-alike and the hundreds in DLC anyways. I heard its a pretty potent device tbh.