Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: how do you keep your forums up?  (Read 787 times)

LinWasTaken

• Commander
    • View Profile
how do you keep your forums up?
« on: April 26, 2022, 01:43:52 AM »

I'm currently lazing around at work, looking through the forums (as i usually do) and i just noticed that there is no add blocker jet there are no adds.
then i remembered that most of, if not all forum websites don't have adds.
how do they stay afloat?
PS : i have no idea how websites even work. (I just know it costs money)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: how do you keep your forums up?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2022, 09:20:13 AM »

(I just know it costs money)

Indeed! Some portion of the money from game sales goes towards that. I think you'll notice that most websites where you can buy something don't have ads - they're making money from selling the thing. Websites that do have ads generally aren't selling you something, but are instead building an audience for their articles or some such, and trying to make their money from ads.

UngaBunga

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: how do you keep your forums up?
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2022, 07:26:58 AM »

I'm currently lazing around at work, looking through the forums (as i usually do) and i just noticed that there is no add blocker jet there are no adds.
then i remembered that most of, if not all forum websites don't have adds.
how do they stay afloat?
PS : i have no idea how websites even work. (I just know it costs money)
Forums are very cheap to run and don't usually use much data. Back in the day, people would pop small ones on 2 dollar a month shared hosting and they'd usually be fine for their lifetime.

Forums usually have a culture of 'hotlinking' images and videos instead of directly posting them, which means you don't even need that much storage, either.