Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 22

Author Topic: [0.97a] Carter's Freetraders - V 2.1 - 04/04/24  (Read 182683 times)

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.96a] Carter's Freetraders - V 1.6.1 - 05/28/23 Just a Quick Hotfix
« Reply #195 on: May 28, 2023, 09:13:49 AM »

v1.61 released today, just a quick hotfix - Save Compatible with v 1.6

-Adjusted the sprites for the Wrecker base and recoil to differentiate them from the HVD
   -Fixed an error with the Wrecker not producing any sound

Ty Inhilicon for pointing out that the Wrecker barrel was very similar to the Hypervelocity Driver and that the sound it used stopped working post .96a.

Inhilicon

• Lieutenant
  • I like when the ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 28, 2023, 10:09:02 AM »

No worries. There are, uhm, quite a few weapons that are very similar-looking to existing stuff... for example, the Howitzer is just a Hellbore mirrored at the middle with slightly different colours.

I'm not saying they -have- to be changed, it's just an observation I made. I've tried making weapons myself and it's really hard. I'm bad at spriting. So I don't blame you. Like before, I hope you don't take offense. The ships are cool, at least.

I attached an image of the first weapon I ever made, and it looks really bad. Just to show you what I mean, haha. Spriting is hard...

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 28, 2023, 12:04:22 PM »

No worries. There are, uhm, quite a few weapons that are very similar-looking to existing stuff... for example, the Howitzer is just a Hellbore mirrored at the middle with slightly different colours.

I'm not saying they -have- to be changed, it's just an observation I made. I've tried making weapons myself and it's really hard. I'm bad at spriting. So I don't blame you. Like before, I hope you don't take offense. The ships are cool, at least.

I attached an image of the first weapon I ever made, and it looks really bad. Just to show you what I mean, haha. Spriting is hard...

Oh it is OK, I am an admitted kitbasher. Most of the mod assets are taking existing vanilla or free to use sprites and fitting pieces in a different way. It was the sound issue that concerned me and once I figured it out I figured I would bundle in a Wrecker re-sprite as a thank you for letting me know.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 02, 2023, 05:19:33 AM »

Just a quick FYI - Solar Mechanis messaged me that he installed the new 1.6.1 update and no longer receives a crash. Figured I would post that here for players that use Linux and may have had a similar issue with version 1.6.

Indie Winter

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 09, 2023, 01:22:16 AM »

are the bonuses granted by Combat Engineers ship exclusive or do they count for the whole fleet? the wording on the actual mod is unclear except for the last part about ship recovery.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 09, 2023, 04:18:30 AM »

are the bonuses granted by Combat Engineers ship exclusive or do they count for the whole fleet? the wording on the actual mod is unclear except for the last part about ship recovery.
Good morning that is a good question, and a perspective I did not consider. I looked over the description I gave them and I see your point, it only states that "the ships they are assigned to are almost always recoverable after the battle". All the CE skills are ship exclusive, it would be a bit OP to have it fleet wide. I'll change that to be more clear in the next update, thank you for pointing that out.

I am currently working on a TTSC update but I do have plans to make a couple CFT made pirate ships that has been requested by a couple people so I'll bundle that re-write in with that when I am done.

Indie Winter

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 09, 2023, 11:30:52 PM »

oh great! I didn't mean to sound ungrateful with that post, I guess I should have properly introduced myself first off. I realize it wouldn't make sense for CE to have a fleet-wide bonus, especially with the Hull Restoration skill being right there. Thank you!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 11:35:06 PM by Indie Winter »

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 10, 2023, 02:06:36 AM »

oh great! I didn't mean to sound ungrateful with that post, I guess I should have properly introduced myself first off. I realize it wouldn't make sense for CE to have a fleet-wide bonus, especially with the Hull Restoration skill being right there. Thank you!
In no way did I get that vibe, I apologize if I came off that I had. It was a valid question and I truly appreciate getting other people's views and comments. I do my best but I am just a guy that likes the game enough to learn the basics of Java so any and all help is appreciated.

5ColouredWalker

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 10, 2023, 02:58:33 AM »

Hi, coming back after some time away. This plus the one in the hull mods might have me sounding a little negative but I love your work.

Three big things balance wise.

The Danube
The Danube is effectively a Salvage Vessel and 2 Shepards bolted into one ship. This would cost 48K if the ships were actually all bought. The Danube costs 16K.
This is egregious. Additionally it has 80 OP.... It doesn't need this. With this, I can use it as a dedicated logistics ship and a dedicated logistics ship. That's silly.
For armament it has 4 Synergy Pods. It has 2 Mining Drone bays as dedicated PD (Barring Hull Mods), so it doesn't need PD, and can dedicate all slots to weapons, with good Flux stats and 20 Vent spots to work with... If armed with PD or Missiles, it doesn't need these, giving it effectively 20 free Build Points. If you decide to go energy weapons, then you're only spending 60ish OP on combat stuff (Full Vents/Caps, 4 Tac Lasers or Pulse Lasers), leaving you with tons of mod points.
And it's 2 non-Mining Drone Fighters are going to be addressed in their own section, but mean it rolls over most early game enemies.

If I were to change it, I would give it Survey Gear (To match the Shepard comparison), and drop 20 points of DP. If people want it logistics, it's still combat capable, but it means you can't give it a super combat load. If you don't want it combat capable, that gives it plenty of space for  combat defences and logistics mods. If you want to dedicate it for combat, well it shouldn't be a combat ship with tons of mods, you have other combat salvagers for that. Oh, and it should cost 35K minimum.

That said it's a bit odd it has Synergy slots. The missile mining weapons are in Junk Yard Dogs, and being Synergy it can't pack mining lasers. Hybrid would make more sense, even if the idea of packing it with Drill SRMS, Asteroid busters, and a bunch of missile ammo boosters is hilarious. [As an aside, I've realised that while I like certain things from JYD, I mainly use them for weapons. Which commission bonus is better is debatable, but the Intelligent ships do make for good surveyors.]

I'm sorry, I can tell this one comes across a bit ranty. I'm not going to edit it though because I feel a bit ranty about it. The ship is ridiculous. The other two are much nicer, I promise.
[close]

Electromagnetic Railguns
This gun falls afoul of the super long range problem. It has 1100K range and has great anti-shield stats. A small one is 4 points, deals 120 dps, is rapid firing, and has 1100 range.
Compared to this, why would I ever use a Railgun? Hell, it out-performs a Hypervelocity driver in the small slot.
Sure it's trash against armor, and the EMP while there doesn't seem to do anything, but it strips shields easily due to the range advantage, and once armor is past things pop due to being frag. And woe betide any missiles that cross it's path.

The lore also doesn't make sense. It's a electromagnetic autogun for destroying asteroids... Why does that result in better combat stats than a Hypervolocity driver? And why would it come as a (almost) fully-auto weapon like a chaingun?
[close]

Tender Mining Drone
Single fairly tough drones with decent range... With 3 high explosive blasters? These things are effectively unlimited ammo light bombers, happily wrecking the day of fighters, frigates and destroyers while being tough and not using up crew, coming on both the Bawley and the Danube making them super easy to mass, making Pirates, Ludites and Derelicts a non issue.

These things are far too powerful. Part of it is their position in the early game and how cheap the Danube is, so they don't have super long staying power and nerfing the Danube will nerf them as a side effect. But I'd probably drop them to 2 Blasters, or 1 and possibly make them 2 fighters that are less tough. (Maybe not half, but they are decently tough.)
[close]

I'm going to do a restart trying to avoid getting drunk on mass Danubes so I use the others more often, and force myself to stay away from the Electromagnetic Railguns. I will say I have been loving everything else though.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 10, 2023, 04:58:10 AM »

Hi, coming back after some time away. This plus the one in the hull mods might have me sounding a little negative but I love your work.
Ah hello again and welcome back to the game. I hope you are enjoying the .96a changes, I know I sure am. I do not take your feedback as negative, I appreciate you taking the time to post such detailed analysis because it helps me gain perspective.
Three big things balance wise.

The Danube
The Danube is effectively a Salvage Vessel and 2 Shepards bolted into one ship. This would cost 48K if the ships were actually all bought. The Danube costs 16K.
This is egregious. Additionally it has 80 OP.... It doesn't need this. With this, I can use it as a dedicated logistics ship and a dedicated logistics ship. That's silly.
For armament it has 4 Synergy Pods. It has 2 Mining Drone bays as dedicated PD (Barring Hull Mods), so it doesn't need PD, and can dedicate all slots to weapons, with good Flux stats and 20 Vent spots to work with... If armed with PD or Missiles, it doesn't need these, giving it effectively 20 free Build Points. If you decide to go energy weapons, then you're only spending 60ish OP on combat stuff (Full Vents/Caps, 4 Tac Lasers or Pulse Lasers), leaving you with tons of mod points.
And it's 2 non-Mining Drone Fighters are going to be addressed in their own section, but mean it rolls over most early game enemies.

If I were to change it, I would give it Survey Gear (To match the Shepard comparison), and drop 20 points of DP. If people want it logistics, it's still combat capable, but it means you can't give it a super combat load. If you don't want it combat capable, that gives it plenty of space for  combat defences and logistics mods. If you want to dedicate it for combat, well it shouldn't be a combat ship with tons of mods, you have other combat salvagers for that. Oh, and it should cost 35K minimum.

That said it's a bit odd it has Synergy slots. The missile mining weapons are in Junk Yard Dogs, and being Synergy it can't pack mining lasers. Hybrid would make more sense, even if the idea of packing it with Drill SRMS, Asteroid busters, and a bunch of missile ammo boosters is hilarious. [As an aside, I've realised that while I like certain things from JYD, I mainly use them for weapons. Which commission bonus is better is debatable, but the Intelligent ships do make for good surveyors.]

I'm sorry, I can tell this one comes across a bit ranty. I'm not going to edit it though because I feel a bit ranty about it. The ship is ridiculous. The other two are much nicer, I promise.
[close]
I went synergy on CFT because it is not a mining focused faction though it does have some mining ships. All good points and I like your suggestions for the Danube, I'll take them into account for the next update.
Electromagnetic Railguns
This gun falls afoul of the super long range problem. It has 1100K range and has great anti-shield stats. A small one is 4 points, deals 120 dps, is rapid firing, and has 1100 range.
Compared to this, why would I ever use a Railgun? Hell, it out-performs a Hypervelocity driver in the small slot.
Sure it's trash against armor, and the EMP while there doesn't seem to do anything, but it strips shields easily due to the range advantage, and once armor is past things pop due to being frag. And woe betide any missiles that cross it's path.

The lore also doesn't make sense. It's a electromagnetic autogun for destroying asteroids... Why does that result in better combat stats than a Hypervolocity driver? And why would it come as a (almost) fully-auto weapon like a chaingun?
[close]
Um because I like it? :) I like the Thumper but I wanted a line of them and they had to be a bit different than the vanilla frag weapons. The EMP is more a flavor effect as I called it electromagnetic but it does add a little bit to it. I'll have to compare it to the HVD and get back to you since I never considered it an analog to a kinetic weapon like that since it does 25% damage vs shields.
Tender Mining Drone
Single fairly tough drones with decent range... With 3 high explosive blasters? These things are effectively unlimited ammo light bombers, happily wrecking the day of fighters, frigates and destroyers while being tough and not using up crew, coming on both the Bawley and the Danube making them super easy to mass, making Pirates, Ludites and Derelicts a non issue.

These things are far too powerful. Part of it is their position in the early game and how cheap the Danube is, so they don't have super long staying power and nerfing the Danube will nerf them as a side effect. But I'd probably drop them to 2 Blasters, or 1 and possibly make them 2 fighters that are less tough. (Maybe not half, but they are decently tough.)
[close]
The Tender is a recent addition to the mod and has not gone through a balance pass like the other fighters. I'll give it a once over with your notes in mind for the next update.
I'm going to do a restart trying to avoid getting drunk on mass Danubes so I use the others more often, and force myself to stay away from the Electromagnetic Railguns. I will say I have been loving everything else though.
Self control is key :)

Once I am done with TTSC, CFT is next on my to-do list but I am sorry to say there is no ETA on that. I'm swamped IRL atm and my releases have been delayed more than usual. Just know that I appreciate all the notes and will use them as a guide when I do get to it.

5ColouredWalker

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 10, 2023, 05:08:34 AM »

No rush at all. IRL comes first and you are doing this for free after all. To pick out a segment though.

I'll have to compare it to the HVD and get back to you since I never considered it an analog to a kinetic weapon like that since it does 25% damage vs shields.

As a kinetic weaponnits not super efficient, but comparing with a light autocanon ship in combat makes it obvious.

200 reliable shield damage for 80 flux is tons more efficient than 120 for 120. But at almost double range you can start poking much sooner and have more ships firing without getting in eachothers way.

If you can work around the efficiency it's amazing. If not it's still OK as unlike say a Tac Beam, it deals hard flux.

In fact, a Tac Beam is probably a better comparison. It's longer range and trades armor damage for hard flux.

Edit:
Further notes here to stop spam:

Danube Price: When I was doing maths I was doing napkin, not looking at other ship prices. Better price range is in the 50K with other destroyers.

Scow: Apparently an AI change makes ships less likely to use missiles in general, so no blame on you, but this makes the Scow feel less powerful in combat. Possible worth changing it to a Synergy and Hybrid port to still force diversity without forcing missiles? Also still interesting as it's a frigate with mediums while most Carter's have undersized guns, makes for an ok support frigate. (Jackdaw is the combat, which is still tough.) (Extra Edit: I'm reliably loosing scows as combat exports in easy combat situations. I think it's the lack of missile use, but I could be wrong.)

Cutty: Boy is it surprisingly tough. However it has all forward facing guns (bar PD which it's possibly overloaded with), so Auxilary thrusters is a must. My currently load out has been Light Mortars in the nose guns (More likely to hit the same point, so high ex should be in the middle) with Dart guns in the sides (Shields are larger than ships, and where they get hit matters less). The Kinetic/High Ex swap is something that should extend to the base load out.
For the turret weapons I have 2 LR PD Lasers and a Vulcan. PD Prep makes the PD lasers suppressors and PD. Vulcan could probably be changed to something else though to give it more firepower, which I might try. The 3 rear PD should probably be turned into 2 angled pd instead of 2 side and 1 rear.

Barque: Early impression is this should be the nippy flanker compared to the cuttry, but guns are still forward facing and turning too slow, and the destroyer speed bracket kinder hurts, so still needs Aux Thrusters and speed boosters but has less points to play with. The Missiles slot desperately needs to be made a medium (Or medium other slot) to give it some sort of punch. As is I use kinetic forwards and the physical PD's are anti-armor pd so it has enough damage plus a missile punch for when shields are down. so that the guns can then kill whatever it's fighting... Not reliable though cause it's a single small missile slot.
^Edit: Practiced impressions proved my thoughts true. It's surprisingly fast and nippy, though the forward shield kinda works against it when needing to flee. But it's weapon load out is too weak to secure anything. A medium mount in place of the missile of any variety would fix this, as the centre could be used for anti-armor duties. Or you could get two anti armor smalls plus a medium shield, but why?
^Extra Edit: Swapping the rear kinetic slots for explosive weapons and skipping on missiles seems to make the ship work better as is. Would probably work better with the PD mod so they sometimes target missiles, but it works out ok.

Brigantine: I find it incredibly odd that the combat freighter in destroyer class packs three mediums but only one of the three combat destroyers does. This isn't a knock at the brigantine, but just the best place I can put my 'that's odd' statement.

Shallop: Seems just fast enough, but it's odd that you've introduced high-ex energy weapons, but it's not part of their default load out.

Naruebet: Should probably loose 10 BP. As is it can carry a heavy bomber and a fighter screen and a bunch of mods, and PD, pluss a support missile. Drop the missile and it could do some mods super fighters and a screen while having decent PD.

Barkentine: All it's weapon points are PD equivilent loosing the missile of the Narubet for +1 gun.  It's a ok sidegrade, but it feels exactly that, a sidegrade the the Narubet.

Knarr: The Cruiser grade logistics/utility ship has Civilian Hull but the the Bawley Logistics frigate? Also it's got built in mining weapons and boosted sensors but no Surveying Gear? Weapon Layoutt is also super odd and in combat. So far I've just been throwing PD on it and using it as a line holder/heavy EX damage dealer as a finsiher.

Foudre: While a nice aggressive carrier, it's BP is just a tad too low. A full fighter complement of ok fighters is likely to run 40/100 points, 70 once you through on capacitators, leaving bugger all so you better just be getting PD/Mods and not want to vent much... Which doesn't make sense.
Edit: Got a closer look with it and a Chester drone carrier. Also wrote out a bit about stats.
Honestly the Chester maybe should lose some points and Fougre gain some. But looking at the Heron as a 'Vanilla balance point' I think the Naruebet needs a nerf, loosing 20+ points and maybe a bay Doing this would give the Barkentine and Foudre purpose (Bringing a better loadout than the Naruebet).

I do need to do more fleet battles though.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2023, 09:31:07 PM by 5ColouredWalker »

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 10, 2023, 11:05:33 AM »

No rush at all. IRL comes first and you are doing this for free after all. To pick out a segment though.

I'll have to compare it to the HVD and get back to you since I never considered it an analog to a kinetic weapon like that since it does 25% damage vs shields.

As a kinetic weaponnits not super efficient, but comparing with a light autocanon ship in combat makes it obvious.

200 reliable shield damage for 80 flux is tons more efficient than 120 for 120. But at almost double range you can start poking much sooner and have more ships firing without getting in eachothers way.

If you can work around the efficiency it's amazing. If not it's still OK as unlike say a Tac Beam, it deals hard flux.

In fact, a Tac Beam is probably a better comparison. It's longer range and trades armor damage for hard flux.
Sorry for the delay in responding I was doing yard work -  fun fun good times. I will take that into consideration as well. I should be able to wrap up TTSC next week and start on CFT after so keep any observations coming and I'll consider them in the update. Thanks again for the follow up!

jamitron

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 12, 2023, 11:46:40 AM »

Is the source code for this mod in a public repository somewhere? I found a couple of typos and would love to contribute a fix back.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 12, 2023, 12:13:24 PM »

Is the source code for this mod in a public repository somewhere? I found a couple of typos and would love to contribute a fix back.
Hello there, thank you for letting me know and offering to fix them. I would be happy to perform a spell/grammar check if you would inform me of where the errors you noticed are. I am almost done an update for TTSC and will be working on CFT after so I could have any corrections included with that update.

However if you would like to dig into it yourself, I do not compress any of my mods into JAR files so people can look them over and maybe learn from them. You can open any java file with a simple editor like notepad++ if you do not have a java complier. Also most of the text are in csv files which can also be opened with notepad++ or any program that can read comma-separated value files like excel.

jamitron

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 12, 2023, 12:39:53 PM »

Happy to point them out in the forums if you'd prefer that. I was just wondering if the code was on GitHub, GitLab, BitBucket etc, where I could contribute a change directly to save a step!

The typos I found were all in the `data/strings/description.csv` file. Replace `it's` (contraction for "it is") with `its`.

Thanks for making the mod, really enjoying it!

Hello there, thank you for letting me know and offering to fix them. I would be happy to perform a spell/grammar check if you would inform me of where the errors you noticed are. I am almost done an update for TTSC and will be working on CFT after so I could have any corrections included with that update.

However if you would like to dig into it yourself, I do not compress any of my mods into JAR files so people can look them over and maybe learn from them. You can open any java file with a simple editor like notepad++ if you do not have a java complier. Also most of the text are in csv files which can also be opened with notepad++ or any program that can read comma-separated value files like excel.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 22