Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Weapon question  (Read 2910 times)

Cvan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Weapon question
« on: July 05, 2011, 04:56:20 PM »

I guess some of you have watched Star Trek and those who did had a chance to see federation ships firing their phasors which are quite similar to beams used in Starfarer. I would like to recreate those phasors by using previously mentioned beams, however is there posibility to make beam fire in intervals. Let me explain: lets say I fire beam for 1 second and then it goes off and have to wait approx 2-3 seconds before I can fire it again.

Here is some progress. Thanks again to Trylobot for great tutorial. These bounds are not that nasty, just time consuming.

PS: I would also like to know how to change beam color. I found something related to colors however I didn't manage to geat nice orange color. :\

PSS: Probably you ask yourself where is that beam coming from? Well I have not idea! Just like in the Star Trek series, phasors came out from the ships from random places...
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 05:01:17 PM by Philosopher »
“In order to exist just once in the world, it is necessary never again to exist.”

“Man is the only creature that refuses to be what he is.”

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
Re: Weapon question
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 05:14:58 PM »

Just like in the Star Trek series, phasors came out from the ships from random places...

If you're wanting to reproduce that effect, might I suggest defining multiple weapon hardpoints? You could, for example, define 5 hardpoints at random locations around the ship all with identical facing angles and weapon arcs, and hook all of them up to an "Alternating" weapon group in the variant data. That way, when they fire it really would look like Star Trek  8)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 05:20:05 PM »

Added that type of weapon a few days ago, so it'll be in the next version :) Calling those "burst" lasers.

For beam color:
Code
"fringeColor":[155,0,0,255], # outer edges of the beam, this is where it gets most of its color
"coreColor":[255,255,255,255], # brighter core, usually white or close to it
"glowColor":[255,100,100,255], # color of the glow on the actual weapon. Usually somewhere between the other two

Looking forward to seeing how this shapes up!

P.S.:

Code
"style": "HIGH_TECH",
To get blue shields, if you want those. Purely cosmetic difference.

Cvan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 05:26:20 PM »

Thanks guys, this is really helpful.  ;D
“In order to exist just once in the world, it is necessary never again to exist.”

“Man is the only creature that refuses to be what he is.”