Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Skill system encouraging frequent respec is annoying when it is not cheap.  (Read 7404 times)

Ahueh

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Honorable mention Battle Brothers, also long and it's really easy to avoid actual danger there.

I've compared Starsector to BB before (probably because I secretly wish Starsector took some more queues from BB). But I think the fundamental "problem" with viewing it as a rogue-lite and why it's ironman is destined to be a band-aid:

1) You can't actually lose the game
2) You have safe-haven storage and untouchable income in the form of colonies
3) You can avoid unwanted battles by using SP's.
4) You can accrue infinite money and by extension almost every ship in the game while completely avoiding combat/danger

Since it's pretty obvious that Starsector is a just a sandbox with the rogue aspect slapped on the side, people feel no qualms with saying "just dev-mod in more SP's" - and they aren't strictly wrong. The "optimal" rate of SP gain is dependent on the individual player, so debating what it "should" be in a sandbox game is a dead end.

Personally I would prefer Starsector be more roguelike, but it would require massive adjustments in virtually all areas of gameplay, including SP's.

HopeFall

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

Randomly putting in my protest here. Dark Souls and Xcom are not "Iron Man" likes. I despise Iron Man, I hate the stupidity of attempting to prevent save scum. Liking a challenge is different than being "hard core", whatever the Dark Souls community might pretend at being. Challengeless games hold very little interest to me, and I think Starsector could do with MORE, not LESS challenge in it. Especially since there's mods like Command Console for those that might want to... adjust things for themselves. Singleplayer games have always been about personal balance (in the smallest example, the choice of save-scumming or not).
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]