Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Show/hide extended target info  (Read 1037 times)

Morbo513

• Captain
    • View Profile
Show/hide extended target info
« on: April 05, 2022, 04:47:37 AM »

The information presented about a targeted ship can be a bit much - taking a lot of screen-space, obscuring and distracting from other elements of the battle. Much of it's superfluous.

The suggestion:
When targeting a ship, the bare minimum info is displayed; Hull, Flux, CR and the armour readout - and an officer icon, if applicable.
Pressing a button (toggle or hold) - or a toggle in game options - shows the extended target info.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 06, 2022, 04:55:00 AM by Morbo513 »

Ruddygreat

• Admiral
  • Seals :^)
    • View Profile
Re: Simplified target info
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2022, 05:45:42 AM »

what extraneous information is even shown?

As you pointed out, hull / flux / armour are critical, I'd also argue that speed & range are essential because they can make it clearer if pursuing a frigate or w/e it worth your time.
That leaves what - officer skills? they're also incredibly useful bits of information that can let you figure out which ships you should try to kill first (or which bricks of armour will be seemingly invincible, etc)

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2022, 05:59:06 AM »

The targeted ship's weapon display could be compacted somewhat, e.g. I don't need a breakdown by weapon group.

Morbo513

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2022, 06:10:53 AM »

Added a screenshot for illustration purposes
what extraneous information is even shown?

Honestly, everything that isn't shown when mousing over a non-target ship, it's all easy enough to intuit. And for when that information is relevant and needed, you'd still be able to access it. It'd just be hidden (by default) until the player wants to see it. This could be a toggle in options, in addition to a hotkey.

alysaaril

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2022, 09:22:23 AM »

I don't like how the numeric values blend right into the units of measurement, makes it harder to read.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2022, 09:38:21 AM »

I don't like how the numeric values blend right into the units of measurement, makes it harder to read.

I agree, it would be nice if there was a space there.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2022, 09:56:01 AM »

(Hmm, did that.)

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2022, 12:41:32 PM »

Thinking more about it, I think the weapon groups could go away entirely. I can see the weapons visually on the ship and that also tells me their positions. If there are weapons I don't know what their names are, I can try to F1 the ship in the orders screen to get an idea.

I find speed/range/CR/fighter status to be important fairly often, so I wouldn't want those to go away.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2022, 06:23:10 PM »

For speed I'd really like visualisation of speed vectors for both piloted ship and target. I even did a small mod to do exactly this at some point and found vectors very useful.

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2022, 07:22:25 PM »

I love the weapon list because it means I don't have to pause and zoom in for every ship. I wish missile weapons would get greyed out when out of ammo, so I don't have to zoom in and check the graphic either.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2022, 12:38:46 AM »

Thinking more about it, I think the weapon groups could go away entirely.
Same. I don't think I've ever cared about the list because I can tell what weapons are being shot at me since I can see thier shots.

Morbo513

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2022, 01:06:25 AM »

So I'm being clear, the suggestion is for weapon, target, name etc. information to be hidden - not removed - with a button-press, toggle and/or option to show it all again.

Drazan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2022, 01:15:47 AM »

Im glad that weapons are showing, yeah it would be better if theywre not grouped by weapon groups just types, and we also dont need to see that if they are linked or autofiring, that would save a lot of space.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Show/hide extended target info
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2022, 08:23:53 AM »

I think weapon info could be only displayed in the tactical map, or perhaps only displayed when combat is paused. That information is pretty useless in real-time but I think it's still something you want to be able to see in-combat in some way, and zooming in to look at weapon sprites is both annoying and impractical IMO.