Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: [0.97a] Substance.Abuse 1.1.b - Consumable Alcohol  (Read 118362 times)

SirHartley

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
[0.97a] Substance.Abuse 1.1.b - Consumable Alcohol
« on: April 04, 2022, 09:01:33 AM »

Save Compatible

Pairs well with Industrial.Evolution

Short Summary
DRINK! DRINK! DRINK!
Drink responsibly. Liver failure is no joke.

Long Summary
This mod adds 10 drinkable alcoholic beverages to the game. Each has their own effect when consumed - but beware the withdrawal!

All vanilla Factions get their own, unique alcohol with full economy integration including price fluctuation and shortages. Buy cheap, get high!
A new industry - the Brewery - is included - but it can only make alcohol with a recipe, which the other factions are unlikely to part with willingly.

To install the mod, simply download the .zip file from the link above, unzip it in your Starsector mods directory, and enable it in the launcher.

This can be added to ongoing games and it will break saves if removed.

There are currently no known compatibility issues with other mods.

Additional Information:
FAQ

Is this a shitpost?
The topic might seem that way, but no, it is not. It fits seamlessly into vanilla and is implemented to my usual, very high standards. I do hope you'll have as much fun using the mod as I had making it!

How do I use this?
You buy alcohol from market. You go to your inventory. You click alcohol to drink it. It's quite simple, really.

How does this work?
When activated, the alcohol in your inventory gets consumed over time - the amount per day depends on your skeleton crew level and your current effect percentage. The effect (and the consumption!) increase each day until it is 100%. While active, it applies a hullmod to all your ships, which "does stuff" depending on the effect strength percentage.

What effect does the alcohol have?
This is different for each alcohol. They can increase your speed, decrease the OP cost of weapons, improve shields, fighters, missiles...

Is the effect worth it?
Yes. It might actually be on the slightly OP side, to be honest, but the cost of opportunity allows for that.

How long until I have 100% effect?
Depends on the alcohol. The item tooltip will tell you how fast the alcohol reaches maximum effect strength, but be aware - a faster buildup also quickly causes a higher consumption. Average time to 100% ranges from 3 to 9 months.

How much do I need, approximately?
Around 200 units of alcohol per 1000 crew per month. Might be less, might be more - depends on the alcohol and effect strength.

How does the effect (and consumption) scale?
addiction = alcoholSpecificFactor * sqrt{(BaseAddictionPerDay * daysAddicted)/2}. This is a root function, Google it to see how it looks. Alcohol factor ranges from 1.2 to 1.8.

What happens when I run out?
You go into withdrawal. You will experience negative effects which also scale with your effect% - if you had 100% effect, you now have 100% withdrawal. The effect decays at the same speed that it built up.

How do I make Withdrawal go away faster?
Drink hangover cure. I take zero responsibility for the health of your internal organs.

How do I make the Brewery produce something?
You'll have to take a recipe from another facton. Find a planet with a brewery and raid it. It's like how you have to beat old ladies on the street to get their cookie recipes - they never seem to part with them willingly.

Can I drink all alcohols at the same time?
Didn't your Mom teach you that mixing too much alcohol is bad?

How can you be so incredibly based?
I was born this way.

Can you give me tips on beard care?
Use beard oil and wash your beard every day or it'll get gross. Have it trimmed professionally once, then cut along the lines for upkeep.

Will that fix my ugly face?
Nope. But alcohol might!
[close]
Effects
[close]
Change Log
1.1.b
  • Adjusted - Compatibility patch

1.1.a
  • Adjusted - Compatibility patch

• Added - Phaged Darjeeling - incredibly balanced psychoactive tea for shields and phase
  • Added - Tea Brewery on Ailmar or whatever the name is
  • Adjusted - Factions can now have multiple alcohols and you can assign vanilla alcohol to modded factions
  • Fixed - Rare bug that could result in player losing all skills in return for a free brewery and fullerene spool
  • Fixed - 4 new crashes related to adding a new alcohol, fixed at least 3 of them

1.0.j
  • Added - Setting to disable auto-OP adjustments for Abysnth withdrawal
  • Adjusted - Drunk Fleet intel should now be marked important by default
  • Fixed - File paths for Linux (Case Sensitivity was a Mistake)
  • Fixed - Crash on new game when playing with improperly made modded systems (Missing the Population industry...)

1.0.i
  • Adjusted - Hangover Cure demand now only applies to player colonies if there is an active brewery
  • Adjusted - No longer re-sorts your inventory (Alcohol will still change position, sorry!)
  • Fixed - Prom. Gift Tooltip maneuverability mult now shows correct value
  • Fixed - Crash with OP stripper (thanks Wisp!)

1.0.h
  • Added - Version Checker support
  • Added - Variable to set dynamic supply and demand (Mod integration)
  • Adjusted - Blackout now retains your cargo if you only have one ship
  • Adjusted - Blackout now stops all alcohol consumption to avoid instantly falling unconscious again
  • Adjusted - Lost fleet now discoverable at greater distance
  • Adjusted - Recipes no longer show lore text in selection menu
  • Fixed - Blackout now properly gives you 3 months worth of supplies instead of filling up your cargo
  • Fixed - Ludds Tears officer XP gain no longer levels up officers without being able to choose abilities

1.0.g
  • Added - more actually helpful tips
  • Added - some settings
  • Adjusted - reduced alcohol consumption per month by 25%
  • Adjusted - Blackout popup window explanation should now be clearer
  • Adjusted - "Drunk Fleet" intel entry should now be easier to find
  • Fixed - Prometheus gift withdrawal no longer makes you unable to move
  • Fixed - Absynth withdrawal effects now properly apply
  • Fixed - crash when playing nex random mode
  • Fixed - the minumum consumption is now 1 unit/day. this means that crews < 300 will drink more than needed

1.0.e
  • Added - Recipe Books (can merge recipes, install in a brewery to make all stored recipes at once)
  • Adjusted - All alcohol now takes half the cargo space (2 alcohol per 1 space!)
  • Adjusted - Player colonies now import alcohol types produced by an in-faction brewery
  • Fixed - Alcohol hullmods now apply to modules
  • Fixed - Alcohol demands now properly unapply from population and infrastructure
  • Fixed - Endless loop when blacking out (now actually works)

1.0.d
  • General
  • Added - Initial Release
[close]
Want to add custom booze to your mod?
You need, at the minimum, a custom modplugin for this to work. If you do not have that, please read up on how to install an IDE and set up your mod - there's plenty of guides about!
As for Substance.Abuse integration, here is a full template with instructions on how to add your own alcohol to your faction: download
[close]
Attribution / Acknowledgement
Anton Juntunen     Paid commission - Icon for the Brewery. Check out his stuff (and contact) here: https://www.artstation.com/antonjuntunen
David Baumgart     Item Sprites - Bought and modified, https://assetstore.unity.com/publishers/13841
SilverLight     Feedback and beta testing.
Avanitia     Contributed some tips, text and beta testing.
[close]

Ask before using my code. Do not reuse or modify my images.

I very much appreciate feedback or suggestions, for both current and future content.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2024, 03:26:27 PM by SirHartley »

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile

This is appalling, you should be ashamed of yourself, and I'm going to install this immediately and enjoy the hell out of it.

Daynen

• Captain
    • View Profile

LOLWTF.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile

Huh, well its not april 1st so... huh. Nice icons!

Helldiver

• Captain
  • space fruit
    • View Profile

Pirate playthroughs will never be the same
Afflictor bean plushie that glows purple when you squeeze it
30$

Jakro

• Ensign
    • View Profile

You truly are incredibly based

Algoul

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

This one of most disgusting for any high moral player and offensive for any true gym maniac mod!!!  I install it immediately bcs

Fifteen men on the dead man's chest—
...Yo-ho-ho, and a bottle of rum!
Drink and the devil had done for the rest—
...Yo-ho-ho, and a bottle of rum!

and other reasons beyond sane reasons including mass crew alcoholism and offending size of lucre by bootlegging

Bulletkin

• Ensign
  • Now it's into the void, now me girls and me boys~
    • View Profile

A true masterpiece.
(your local Secrets of the Frontier fanboy)

...From Mother's hands, we go. We'll be sailing to the sun 'till the voyage is done, then we'll be sleeping in the cold below~

SirHartley

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

Huh, well its not april 1st so... huh. Nice icons!
It was supposed to release on April 1st but I didn't get it done in time. Sad day :|

You truly are incredibly based
ikr

Superharem

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Another must-have for me it seems.

SirHartley

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

Save Compatible

Pairs well with Industrial.Evolution

Fixed an endless loop - and added recipe books! Also, alcohol now weighs 50% less, so you can carry around more of it with the same capacity.
Should lighten the load a bit, you could say.

Change Log
1.0.e
  • Added - Recipe Books (can merge recipes, install in a brewery to make all stored recipes at once)
  • Adjusted - All alcohol now takes half the cargo space (2 alcohol per 1 space!)
  • Adjusted - Player colonies now import alcohol types produced by an in-faction brewery
  • Fixed - Alcohol hullmods now apply to modules
  • Fixed - Alcohol demands now properly unapply from population and infrastructure
  • Fixed - Endless loop when blacking out (now actually works)
[close]

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

"Absynth" is so, so good. I'm going to be kicking myself forever for not coming up with that one.

Edit: And it's a delight seeing my icons recontextualized like this :D

SirHartley

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

Feel free to steal it, I'd be honored :P

I had a lot of fun coming up with names, but the other ones are not quite as good as that one - though calling distilled fuel in a rusty can "Prometheus Gift" is also kinda funny imo.

Very thankful that you made so many icons in the first place - it's a real blessing for anyone looking to create additional items for this game.

ParaNautic

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Did you get the idea from galaxy on fire 2? each race there has its own drink :] A food component to this would be sweet
« Last Edit: April 06, 2022, 12:03:10 PM by ParaNautic »

SirHartley

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

Did you get the idea from galaxy on fire 2? each race there has its own drink :] A food component to this would be sweet
I got the idea from an errant discussion on ageing alcohol commodities to trade on discord - I have never played galaxy on fire.
The main issue with adding any more stuff to this mod is that I have no idea what the effect would be! I usually don't touch combat modding, and already had a hard time coming up with the effects that are currently in.

However, this mod offers a framework.
Adding a new alcohol is literally one line of code and a Hullmod Effect.
In theory, I could make recreational drugs (or any other vanilla commodity) a usable item with 5 minutes of work, but I wouldn't know what effect to give them :P

So, anyone is free to make drinks, or food consumables for their own creations! This mod makes that really, really easy.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7