Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: SMOL: The big mod manager & utility  (Read 29218 times)

Wispborne

• Captain
  • Discord: wispborne
    • View Profile

Doesnt seem to work anymore, or is broken. Nothing happens on start of app.

Please read the Known Issues section and report back if they don't solve it.
Mod: Persean Chronicles | Mod Manager: SMOL | Tool: VRAM Estimator | Tool: Forum+Discord Mod Database | If I'm inactive for 3 months, anyone can use any of my work for anything (except selling it or its derivatives).

Wispborne

• Captain
    • View Profile

I'm pleased to say that Beta 10 is up.

- Improved tooltips
  - They now appear further from the cursor and will disappear when you touch them.
  - In short, they should no longer block your cursor.

SMOL will prompt you to update when it's launched. I'm far too lazy to update the download link (it's an annoying amount of work to package it up properly).
Mod: Persean Chronicles | Mod Manager: SMOL | Tool: VRAM Estimator | Tool: Forum+Discord Mod Database | If I'm inactive for 3 months, anyone can use any of my work for anything (except selling it or its derivatives).

Klokinator

• Ensign
    • View Profile

THANK YOU for fixing those tooltips. Wow, what a difference one little UI change can make hahaha

RVG_Seven

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Hello first time i download the mod but it doesn't work, i tried the know issues of using admin or moving the folder but it still doesn't work, i open it and i see windows console for a fraction of a second and i can't read what it's saying before it closes

Wispborne

• Captain
    • View Profile

Hello first time i download the mod but it doesn't work, i tried the know issues of using admin or moving the folder but it still doesn't work, i open it and i see windows console for a fraction of a second and i can't read what it's saying before it closes

There might be a logfile called SMOL.log that'll help.

Also
- Make sure you're on Win10 or 11
- actually that's all I can think of, will have to see if the log says something

Mr_8000

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

Is there any particular reason this utility requires w10? Seems kinda odd for a mod organizer's requirements to supersede those of the game it's modding. Especially considering that starsector can run on literal potatoes from decades prior.

Wispborne

• Captain
    • View Profile

Is there any particular reason this utility requires w10? Seems kinda odd for a mod organizer's requirements to supersede those of the game it's modding. Especially considering that starsector can run on literal potatoes from decades prior.

It's written using Kotlin Compose, which requires Win10.
https://www.jetbrains.com/lp/compose-desktop/

AtlanticAccent

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

Just to plug MOSS, which should ideally work as far back as Windows 7... at the cost of looking significantly worse than SMOL.

Love you Wisp

RVG_Seven

• Ensign
    • View Profile

There might be a logfile called SMOL.log that'll help.

Also
- Make sure you're on Win10 or 11
- actually that's all I can think of, will have to see if the log says something

Ah i'm using windows 8.1 that might be the main issue, thanks for checking still

dslinspace

• Ensign
    • View Profile

The tool looks good and its work, which is the most important right.

Here is my 2c

When downloading mods there is no downloading bar or anything that show that the mod is actually downloading.

I noticed some mods are missing the source of the file, for example: Take No Prisoners, which I manually downloading from discord before using the tool.

I couldnt download Java8 through the tool,  you need to add mirrors.

E/JreManager.downloadJre8/ Failed to download JRE 8 from https://drive.google.com/uc?id=155Lk0ml9AUGp5NwtTZGpdu7e7Ehdyeth&export=download.
io.ktor.client.features.HttpRequestTimeoutException: Request timeout has expired

MrNage

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

Couldn't start. Not even a .log file would show, had to use Prompt.

Code
Starting a Gradle Daemon, 1 incompatible Daemon could not be reused, use --status for details

FAILURE: Build failed with an exception.

* What went wrong:
Unable to start the daemon process.
This problem might be caused by incorrect configuration of the daemon.
For example, an unrecognized jvm option is used.
Please refer to the User Manual chapter on the daemon at https://docs.gradle.org/7.2/userguide/gradle_daemon.html
Process command line: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk-17.0.1\bin\java.exe -XX:MaxPermSize=350m -XX:ReservedCodeCacheSize=225m -XX:+UseCompressedOops --add-opens java.base/java.util=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens java.base/java.lang=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens java.base/java.lang.invoke=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens java.base/java.util=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens java.prefs/java.util.prefs=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens java.prefs/java.util.prefs=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens java.base/java.nio.charset=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens java.base/java.net=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens java.base/java.util.concurrent.atomic=ALL-UNNAMED -Xms2560m -Xmx4096m -Dfile.encoding=windows-1252 -Duser.country=US -Duser.language=en -Duser.variant -cp C:\Users\ekaj1\.gradle\wrapper\dists\gradle-7.2-bin\2dnblmf4td7x66yl1d74lt32g\gradle-7.2\lib\gradle-launcher-7.2.jar org.gradle.launcher.daemon.bootstrap.GradleDaemon 7.2
Please read the following process output to find out more:
-----------------------
Unrecognized VM option 'MaxPermSize=350m'
Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine.
Error: A fatal exception has occurred. Program will exit.

AtlanticAccent

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

Couldn't start. Not even a .log file would show, had to use Prompt.

Code
Starting a Gradle Daemon, 1 incompatible Daemon could not be reused, use --status for details

FAILURE: Build failed with an exception.

* What went wrong:
Unable to start the daemon process.
This problem might be caused by incorrect configuration of the daemon.
For example, an unrecognized jvm option is used.
Please refer to the User Manual chapter on the daemon at https://docs.gradle.org/7.2/userguide/gradle_daemon.html
Process command line: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk-17.0.1\bin\java.exe -XX:MaxPermSize=350m -XX:ReservedCodeCacheSize=225m -XX:+UseCompressedOops --add-opens java.base/java.util=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens java.base/java.lang=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens java.base/java.lang.invoke=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens java.base/java.util=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens java.prefs/java.util.prefs=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens java.prefs/java.util.prefs=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens java.base/java.nio.charset=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens java.base/java.net=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens java.base/java.util.concurrent.atomic=ALL-UNNAMED -Xms2560m -Xmx4096m -Dfile.encoding=windows-1252 -Duser.country=US -Duser.language=en -Duser.variant -cp C:\Users\ekaj1\.gradle\wrapper\dists\gradle-7.2-bin\2dnblmf4td7x66yl1d74lt32g\gradle-7.2\lib\gradle-launcher-7.2.jar org.gradle.launcher.daemon.bootstrap.GradleDaemon 7.2
Please read the following process output to find out more:
-----------------------
Unrecognized VM option 'MaxPermSize=350m'
Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine.
Error: A fatal exception has occurred. Program will exit.

That kind of looks like you've downloaded the source code and are trying to compile the project. You want to download the pre-built binaries from the Releases section on GitHub

ryujinblade

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Hey Wisp! hey the downloader said it had an update, and when i went to install the newer version of smol via the updater, it just says fails to update in the console, not sure if im doing something wrong, i run it as admin and normal launch and still same issue. love your Mod Oraganizer! cant live without it!

Wispborne

• Captain
    • View Profile

Hey Wisp! hey the downloader said it had an update, and when i went to install the newer version of smol via the updater, it just says fails to update in the console, not sure if im doing something wrong, i run it as admin and normal launch and still same issue. love your Mod Oraganizer! cant live without it!

Sorry, just saw this. There seems to be some updater issue, although I can't tell if it's affecting everybody or is just kind of random.

Before I launch into a self-gratifying rant about how Java's lack of good self-update solutions is my least favorite part of this project and a major reason why I haven't been working on it much, lemme talk through the workaround.

When SMOL downloads an update, it creates a file called update-smol.zip in the SMOL folder.
Open that zip up and there'll be a folder called files, then a bunch of folders based on where you put SMOL.

Click through to the end of those folders until you find SMOL.exe and a few other files.
Now, just move/extract those into your SMOL folder and overwrite anything that was already there (make sure to close SMOL first or it won't let you).

That's it, it should be updated now.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile

Reeee the mod profile system is annoying me (for my use case of quickly running someone else's save)

- The profile system can't find mods that are of a different version from the one used at the start of the save
- It refuses to enable the said mods it can't find when I try to enable the profile
- There's no option to export an enabled_mods.json file so I can override its refusal to enable these mods
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5