Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: SMOL: The big mod manager & utility  (Read 29134 times)

Wispborne

• Captain
  • Discord: wispborne
    • View Profile

> The profile system can't find mods that are of a different version from the one used at the start of the save

Unfortunately, as I recall, that's all the game keeps in the save file. descriptor.json is never updated with new mod versions after you start your save.

> It refuses to enable the said mods it can't find when I try to enable the profile

You mean you want it to enable a newer version of the missing mod version if possible?

> There's no option to export an enabled_mods.json file so I can override its refusal to enable these mods

Shouldn't need to be if the program works correctly.
Mod: Persean Chronicles | Mod Manager: SMOL | Tool: VRAM Estimator | Tool: Forum+Discord Mod Database | If I'm inactive for 3 months, anyone can use any of my work for anything (except selling it or its derivatives).

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile

Ah I see.

Yeah, attempting to enable a newer version of the mod sounds like all that's needed (enabling any that don't exist period will probably result in weird behavior for SMOL, and do nothing once the game actually launches).

IGdood

• Commander
    • View Profile

SMOl isn't able to calculate VRAM for me, though I am using 200+ mods so I'm not sure if that's the reason why

TungstenLION

• Ensign
    • View Profile

oh god... finally...

aerosolninja

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Thanks so much for this!  With the UI change I can't seem to figure out how to change the mod browser sortings?  Such as sorting by last update?

tantananan

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Just got back to SS and this made it much less painful to organize mods. Thanks so much! cheers!

bing_crosby

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: SMOL: The big mod manager & utility
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2023, 12:44:33 PM »

Also wanted to add in my thanks and appreciation for making this mod manager, it's making my yearly return to Starsector much easier than in the past. I love coming back to the forum and seeing all these great names from the community still around and contributing so much here <3

Six__Nix

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2023, 10:41:28 AM »

Thank You SOOOOOOO much for this!! 

I especially LOVE the profile manager.  Being able to load different saves without having to check which mods it used and configure it manually is an incredibly AWESOME feature!!

It also really helps that it puts the saves for that profile at the top when loading.

Literally minutes before I found the feature in your app I was wishing for it.  Then bam, there it was!!

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2023, 11:06:54 AM by Six__Nix »

Wispborne

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2023, 03:11:21 PM »

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! Knowing that SMOL is helping is the reason I keep coming back to work on it :)

Slightly relatedly, I have pretty much stopped doing versioned updates with changelogs.
So, rather than a new post with "Beta 15" and the list of changes and a download link, I'm simply making updates when I feel like it and not posting the changes or new number or adding a download link.

The best way to see a changelog is by looking here, although it contains things that may not be released yet: https://github.com/wispborne/SMOL/commits/dev.
And here are the updates I've released, although my notes for what's in those updates are patchy: https://github.com/wispborne/SMOL_Dist/commits/unstable.

The way to get the most updated version is simply to download the version on the main page, and it'll prompt you to update when you launch it.

All in all, this reduces the amount of time I spend doing boring clerical work (something which I continue to do for MagicLib and Persean Chronicles, because it's much more important for mods).
Mod: Persean Chronicles | Mod Manager: SMOL | Tool: VRAM Estimator | Tool: Forum+Discord Mod Database | If I'm inactive for 3 months, anyone can use any of my work for anything (except selling it or its derivatives).

Wispborne

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2023, 11:16:39 AM »

This was actually added last month, but new feature!

Tip Deleter (and browser)

See which mod a tip came from, then remove it permanently!

Once you delete a tip through SMOL, it will delete it from any future versions of that mod (as long as you run SMOL after adding that update, of course).

There's currently no "stop deleting tip", so you'll have to go into `SMOL-data/SMOL_AppConfig.json` and remove it by hand. Sorry, I might add a way to do that via UI at some point.

Find it in the new Toolbox icon at the top!

Dezgard

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2023, 01:47:59 AM »

java.nio.file.AccessDeniedException:

Keep getting this trying to update.

run as admin normal and via admin cmd and also tried powershell from location aswell not sure how to get passed it?

Fixed it, removed the read only in all the file properties not sure why the whole folder was set to that hehe.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2023, 03:39:03 AM by Dezgard »

bigblock

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2023, 05:00:05 PM »

10/10 post, same problem, same fix. Thanks!

java.nio.file.AccessDeniedException:

Keep getting this trying to update.

run as admin normal and via admin cmd and also tried powershell from location aswell not sure how to get passed it?

Fixed it, removed the read only in all the file properties not sure why the whole folder was set to that hehe.

Wispborne

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2023, 10:37:51 AM »

Thank you thank you to Dezgard and bigblock for finding and confirming a fix for the updating!

Using that, I've implemented a fix in SMOL for self-update and it's available on the Test channel (Settings -> Channels -> Test, then Check For Update).

There are still a couple of work-in-progress features that I'm not ready to release yet that are in that Test channel, so I'm not going to push this to the regular Unstable branch yet (pro-tip, if you simply leave things in alpha forever, you can get away with anything. credit to Chris Roberts.). If you do switch to the Test channel, I highly recommend leaving the following two features disabled for now.

---

WIP Features

- Mod auto-backup. Toggle on/off. Whenever you install a new mod (or you can do it manually), SMOL will make a compressed copy of it in a folder you specify, giving you a backup folder with every mod/version you've ever used.

- Single-version mode. Toggle on/off. Deletes old versions of mods when you install a new version.

You can see how these two features will synergize :) If you want to keep your mod folder clean but like to keep backups just in case, enable both. Or, if storage space is limited, just turn on single-version mode.

Wispborne

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2023, 11:15:43 AM »

Beta 16

Updates on launch. Follow prompts.

- **Fixed self-updater**, hopefully.
- Revamped **toolbar **and displayed current profile under Profiles.
- **VRAM** estimation now **reads your GraphicsLib** settings, if any. Previously assumed you had maxed GraphicsLib settings, even if it wasn't enabled.
- Fixed a mod getting **copied to its own mod folder** when you tried to install the same version again and canceled the confirmation dialog.
- Fixed possible crash when hoving over mod profiles.
- Fixed possible crash if a tip.json had a null tips array.
- Added setting to choose your SMOL **renderer**.
- Maybe added a **deadlock**. Not sure. Might've fixed it. Let me know if it softlocks.
- Many various little text improvements, e.g. making the "not yet scanned" text more obvious but subtle.

Note: The WIP features mentioned previously are not in here yet (they are but disabled in the config). I wanted to get the self-update fix out, along with the other more minor things, and the WIP stuff needs more work. I am focused on other projects currently (NaNoWriMo, MagicLib) and will circle back to SMOL after getting through those.

Psaldorn

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2023, 03:40:03 PM »

Hey, sorry I've just started using SMOL and after I install mods and enable them and click Launch it seems to disable a bunch of them - am I being dumb?  :-\

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5