Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Make proximity charge launcher more common  (Read 1321 times)

Ruddygreat

• Admiral
  • Seals :^)
    • View Profile
Make proximity charge launcher more common
« on: March 21, 2022, 03:34:48 PM »

This is a simple suggestion, it's basically just the title - in my recent playthroughs I've found them to be comedically rare, it's really a shame because they're otherwise good weapons.

basically the only time I got a reliable supply was buying them from a modded market that's meant to sell rare stuff, otherwise I don't think I saw a single one in either of my vanilla .95.1 runs.

yeahbutbttv

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Make proximity charge launcher more common
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2022, 04:48:53 AM »

you can always get the blueprint through raids or exploration, just like those rare ships that you never ever get to see in markets literally ever like the odyssey. i don't know how powerful they are because i don't ever use them but i can tell you that i definitely see some when visiting markets, so they are definitely out there, you must just be getting unlucky when it comes to weapons in markets which happens to us all.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2022, 05:06:08 AM »

Proximity charges are similar to Annihilators but stronger, has less range, and easier to hit targets with.  It is also a PD weapon and will shoot at incoming missiles.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2022, 12:55:16 AM »

This sounds like the RNG just being itself tbh.
Every game seems to pick on certain items to 'weight' and others to be stingy with.
In my current game Prox. Launchers may as well not exist. I had to use contacts to get any at all. But in my previous, I had enough to put them on several ships and still have leftovers just from bounty salvage.

The exact same thing happens with colony items.
Some games you'll see a huge pile of <x>, but others you'll struggle to see even a single <x>.

It is also a PD weapon
Which is code for "make something right next to you very unhappy".

Prox. Launchers are (imo) one of the best 'assualt' weapons in the game. Find a ship that can mount multiple forward facing launchers, and just fly towards something (the closer the better) holding down mouse1 while cackling like a witch as <thing> dissolves in a cloud of obnoxiously purple mist.
They used to be bad. Really bad.
But they own now thier prox. radius was fixed.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2022, 06:26:31 AM »

It is also a PD weapon
Which is code for "make something right next to you very unhappy".
What it really means is it wastes precious ammo at incoming missiles you generally do not care about (because they will hit your shield, or you otherwise made them a non-threat).

Although I just noticed proximity charges do not get the bonus 200 range from elite Point Defense, but they still shoot at incoming missiles.

In my current game Prox. Launchers may as well not exist. I had to use contacts to get any at all.
I got the blueprint from raids.  It takes a while to get every blueprint, but I get all of them eventually.  In my current game, I had to get all blueprints that can be raided for to force historian to offer the Legion XIV, and flashy guy to offer the Revenant.

Launchers are (imo) one of the best 'assualt' weapons in the game. Find a ship that can mount multiple forward facing launchers, and just fly towards something (the closer the better) holding down mouse1 while cackling like a witch as <thing> dissolves in a cloud of obnoxiously purple mist.
They used to be bad. Really bad.
But they own now thier prox. radius was fixed.
Proximity charges are powerful, but their biggest weakness is lack of range.  Only 1000 and not boosted by ITU.  What is more is ECCM halves their range further, so no mixing missiles that need ECCM to work and proximity charges.  The ships I would like to use proximity charges on (Dominator and Onslaught) tend to have long range weapons and short range missiles are not good when I need a finisher with range.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2022, 09:51:27 AM »

Wait proximity launchers are good now?

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2022, 09:57:51 AM »

No. They are good on flagships because of insane potential DPS, but the AI is very incompetent at using them.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2022, 10:19:23 AM »

Wait proximity launchers are good now?
They are much better than before 0.95.1a, but their lack of range really hurts, and ECCM is a nerf on them (range gets chopped further by about half).  They are more effective than Annihilators if the ship gets within the weapon range.  It is best to think of proximity charges as variant Annihilators.

The main reason to use Annihilators over Proximity Charge Launcher now is the former has 1500 range.  If proximity charges had at least as much range, I would use them instead of Annihilators.