Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: [0.95.1a] Interstellar Federation (refurbished)  (Read 95683 times)

Vandermeer

• Ensign
    • View Profile
[0.95.1a] Interstellar Federation (refurbished)
« on: March 21, 2022, 11:59:32 AM »

Greetings,
I have taken it onto myself to revive this great mod, which I adore very much, for the current version of the game. (and it barely took 2.5 years to get there) Some of my first Starsector experiences involved this mod all the way back to when Starsector didn't even have a galaxy map. In consequence I can't think about playing the game without it anymore, and also consider these the best sprites around both in realism and design. As I recently really wanted to try out the new version with all those interesting 4x elements, there was finally no other option than to do the work and lift it to the new standard.

Now, you might have seen some of those ship in Weftin's mod as well, but he only created his own ship fantasy using some of the open source sprites available from the original mod, so it was in no way an attempt of actual mod revival.

Anyway, I can now pronounce that the updating is complete and tested.(and wasn't at all as difficult as people made it out to be too with that supposed 0.9 hurdle...)
Since I mainly did this for personal use at first, I ended up with two versions to release:

Standard
https://www.mediafire.com/file/ad5n9wkhir7ooma/Interstellar_Federation_Refurbished.rar/file
This version is true to the original in all regards and intents. The collision meshes are all cleaned up and simplified greatly, but turret slots and ship stats are otherwise untouched. The issue with this might be that the old 0.6-0.8 balancing might not really apply exactly anymore though, so feel free to express what shortcomings you see.
All blueprints can be found in form of packages by exploration in the game, so no need for a command mod.

Unbalanced
https://www.mediafire.com/file/sdip8ydy39m4m9p/Interstellar_Federation_Refurbished_-unbalanced-.rar/file
This is the version I play on, where the Federation tech represents some lost marvels of engineering.(yes, even more lost than usual) Consequently all ships are about 20% better in all, armor, hull, flux-capacity + venting, and even ordnance. Also the fuel consumption and capacity are upgraded such that the travel range effectively doubles, because I wanted to play a distant empire far out from the core. Some minor other adjustments too, but nothing too noteworthy. These ships are very pricy as a downside.
In the ship meshes most larger classes replace all their numerous 'small ballistic' slots with 'small universal' ones, which shifts the gameplay much towards more effective PD lasers for me.
Some weapons are also somewhat more far ranging, slightly stronger, and have greater magazine capacity. I also moved the Dual Lancer Torpedo to medium from large, which can change fighting style a lot if properly utilized.
All in all, despite being "unbalanced", it is still far from the ludicrous levels of the good looking, well styled Musashi Manufactorum mod, where I needed to nerf all the weapons by up to factor 4 in damage because they broke the game so much.(..and that is their 'standard' release)

Artifact prototypes
On top of this, both versions have something extra from me sprinkled in for more adventure. Rare artifact blueprints of 4 major ship classes can be discovered, which, again, have about 20-30% higher statistics over their standard counterpart, except mostly for propulsion related things.(the "feel" should stay the same) They also have slightly changed sprites to accommodate a different outfit style:
Spoiler
[close]
They also have nicer engine lighting to accompany the feeling of advancement:

Spoiler
[close]
Notice that I named the better large carrier "Ocean class" here, which is the only name adaption I did. The first time I saw this mod and got this ship, that was the first word that jumped into my mind. The play experience with this ship was then so formative to me, that henceforth every good looking large carrier I had in any game had to be named "Ocean" in my mind.
I am generally really pleased with the naming scheme Keptin came up with. Only this last one stands out, because "Titan" is just somewhat generic, and simply not a fitting name for a ship in carrier role, as it implies visions of brutish strength rather than that of an advanced floating mobile city-fortress. (You still have the original in "Standard" though)

So these are the only real additions I made to the original mod, and I think that is ok, since no original files were harmed, and the extra can be voluntarily ignored if off taste.

The Ships
Here are all the ship sprites copied over from Keptin's original post in oversight:
Spoiler
-Capital Ships-
Titan-class Carrier, Auria-class Battleship, Antares-class Battlecruiser, Yukon-class Prototype Destroyer

-Cruisers-
Ares-class Heavy Destroyer, Ballista-class Anti-Capital Cruiser, Mercury-class Prototype Gunship, Montana-class Utility Cruiser, Helios Assault Ship

-Destroyers-
Vixen-class Missile Ship, Shogun-class Electronic Warfare Ship, Zephyr-class Strike Carrier, Defiant-class Heavy Gunship, Toa-Class Destroyer

-Frigates-
Albatross-class Attack Ship, Scythe-class Interceptor, Dakota-class Frigate, Orion-class Hypertug, Rickshaw-class Strike Frigate, Echo-class Scout Ship

-Fighters-
Hornet Fighter, Draken Interceptor, Foxbat Fighter, Tracer Heavy Bomber

-Industrial Ships-
Mazerk-class Superbarge, Tahoe-class Cargo Barge, Trexel-class Fuel Barge
[close]

The Weapons
Spoiler
Omega Device, Lancer Torpedo dual, quad, single, Piranha Anti-Fighter Missile Launcher, Riptide & Locktide MLRS, Harpy MRM Pod:

Hadron Accelerator, Nucleon Ram, Cyclotron Eviscerator

Cain, Peacemaker, Citadel PD, Mass Driver, HV50 Autogun, HV75 Autogun, HV100 Autogun, Thunderchief:

[close]
Although the 3+1 superweapons are technically still in the game, I made the drop rate of their blueprints extremely low, so they are only there formally. Mainly because they aren't really necessary as the ships are plenty powerful and struggling with ordnance anyway. You can still introduce them with command or by upping the rarity rating in weapon_data.csv .

Two bothersome issues
- While testing all ships, the only problem I faced on the ships themselves is that the teleport ability of the supercarrier didn't look as good as it used to in older versions. It kind of just plops out and into existence without much of a large flash that used to accompany the procedure before. If someone knows how to remedy this, I would incorporate it promptly.
- Secondly, -this might be because my understanding of the faction mechanic is still not complete-, but when I found my own faction and enable nothing but Interstellar Federation ship and weapon blueprints, for some reason they still don't get chosen by the AI, and I end up with just your common shabraques. Maybe someone can explain. Is this because the game doesn't actually care much for your chosen BPs (a mere "suggestion" like the Canadian constitution), or is there some sort of tinkering involved that needed to be done but I missed out on?

The Future of the Mod
I mostly made this mod for my own gameplay to be fun, and then decided to share the fruits. See it more as an "as is" release, so while I might be around a bit to address some immediate issues, I certainly wont shepherd it around for months and years to come. ..Though I might be back updating it if a Starsector urge comes for a new update, and no one has done it yet by themselves.
I can guarantee for nothing however, so everyone is free to take it and carry the torch of this great mod on. (isn't it nice that I can praise this very post so much, because I didn't make this myself? :D)

Special Thanks to Keptin, and my goddamn borderline clinical perfectionist obsession of having to have my games exactly as I want them to be, and no different! (once more, more time spent modding than playing...)

//Edit: Removed some words over Weftin's Ship pack, which took some sprite resources from the original.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2022, 07:07:39 AM by Vandermeer »

hases22

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Interstellar Federation (refurbished)
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2022, 04:08:00 PM »

wow! Never seen the original mod but im excited to try this one out!

IGdood

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2022, 10:41:24 PM »

Getting a crash when I try to start the game

136036 [Thread-3] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.RuntimeException: Ship hull variant [ifed_antares_kazi] not found!
java.lang.RuntimeException: Ship hull variant [ifed_antares_kazi] not found!
   at com.fs.starfarer.loading.B.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.loading.O0Oo$Oo.getFPCost(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.loading.O0Oo.<init>(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.loading.SpecStore.oo0000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.loading.SpecStore.public(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.loading.ResourceLoaderState.init(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.state.AppDriver.begin(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain.main(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$1.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

Vandermeer

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2022, 12:23:29 AM »

Getting a crash when I try to start the game

136036 [Thread-3] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.RuntimeException: Ship hull variant [ifed_antares_kazi] not found!
java.lang.RuntimeException: Ship hull variant [ifed_antares_kazi] not found!
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
Apologies, there was a problem where for unknown reason the second variant of the Antares class was saved with the same id as the first variant. It is corrected now, and the issue was only present in the 'Standard' version to begin with.

LinWasTaken

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2022, 08:45:29 AM »

@Vandermeer, i might be mistaken but these look identical to the ships from.
https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=22749.0

Maelstrom

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2022, 09:05:49 PM »

59151 [Thread-3] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.RuntimeException: Ship hull variant [hii_luun_Standard] not found!
java.lang.RuntimeException: Ship hull variant [hii_luun_Standard] not found!
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

looks like you missed something else :3

you left the variant call in the default_ship_roles file
« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 09:07:28 PM by Mealstrom »

Vandermeer

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2022, 12:50:09 AM »

@Vandermeer, i might be mistaken but these look identical to the ships from.
https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=22749.0
No, that is the person that used the open license to rebrand Keptin's original work. As I described at the beginning, he only ported half the ships, but no weapons, fighters, special hullsystems, sounds, nor integrate it into the 0.9 mechanics like using blueprints. All in all, Weftin's is either a failed update, or some sort of fork of the original, but I think for that definition to hold, he would have to at least added something to the mod, instead of just renaming the ships.
I don't want to say anything more bad here, so let's just leave it at "there is a proper update now". Just follow the link to the original mod, and you will see.
//Edit (11.04.22): As I know now, Weftin was not attempting to restart or fork the original mod. His interest was simply in wanting to create some ships (the stats there are actually original), but without doing spritework. Since this mod had been stranded for so long and is artistically very pleasing, I assume he saw these open-source sprites as a good futureproof pick, or maybe he was just inspired by them. I guess it makes the situation kind of awkward now of course when against expectations there is suddenly an update, and the sprites see double use now. Admins seem to agree that everything is fine with the situation though, and so do I.

59151 [Thread-3] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.RuntimeException: Ship hull variant [hii_luun_Standard] not found!
java.lang.RuntimeException: Ship hull variant [hii_luun_Standard] not found!
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

looks like you missed something else :3

you left the variant call in the default_ship_roles file
Wow, that is what I get for copying some file structure from other mods. I couldn't spot this problem myself because it refers to another mod (Hiigaran) that I use, so there was no error for me. Anyone who didn't have that mod however would have had this problem. (but nobody said anything? :()
It is fixed in the new upload now.
Let me know if there is more.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2022, 07:54:31 AM by Vandermeer »

Maelstrom

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2022, 10:59:30 AM »

yeah noticed it called for that hii_luun which is the hiigaran mod, I was REALLY confused xD

elite24

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2022, 04:38:47 AM »

Man, I remember playing these ships on the original Exerelin back in the day, and loved their design. Forgot about them, then found this post and felt a nice wave of nostalgia. Thanks for bringing them back! Can't wait to try it out.

Also, you should get this post moved from the Modding to Mods forum. Would be easier to find there where it belongs.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2022, 04:40:52 AM by elite24 »

Vandermeer

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2022, 02:13:26 AM »

Man, I remember playing these ships on the original Exerelin back in the day, and loved their design. Forgot about them, then found this post and felt a nice wave of nostalgia. Thanks for bringing them back! Can't wait to try it out.

Also, you should get this post moved from the Modding to Mods forum. Would be easier to find there where it belongs.
Glad I can reach some that also had this experience. I will try to get the movement done. I would have posted in Mods directly, but I think the forum settings prevented it or something. Also the old 0.8 update to this mod also never left the modding page.
Currently this update is listed in the index as a faction mod, which it isn't, so I have something to contact them over anyway. It was also listed as "by Vandermeer", but it is from Keptin. :(
« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 02:27:19 AM by Vandermeer »

Arthur_The_Ok

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2022, 02:11:01 PM »

Does the faction only appear on normal sector? Because I have random sector enabled and they didn't spawn

Vandermeer

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2022, 01:17:57 AM »

Does the faction only appear on normal sector? Because I have random sector enabled and they didn't spawn
It is not a faction mod. This only spawns blueprints at exploration for use in your own faction.(like the Musashi mod) In its very early days, the mod used to be a faction mod too, but since it seems more challenging to create such and I got what I wanted already, I don't know if I should re-implement it.

BHH

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2022, 05:16:57 AM »

some how most the ships only require 10 DP, and I use command to get all blueprints but still miss some ships in this mod

Vandermeer

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2022, 06:40:14 AM »

some how most the ships only require 10 DP, and I use command to get all blueprints but still miss some ships in this mod
The deployment point costs I had overtaken from the original mod, so I guess this is a balancing issue now appearing in the new 0.9 era. Back then frigates actually cost more to deploy than capitals, so you will see these costs going down to 5 even on battleships in the current state.
I agree that this needs correcting. I will cross reference this with other mods later and release a version where this cost pyramid is the right way around.

As for the blueprints, yes, I experienced this issue too and had asked in the forum, but nobody got an answer for me. Currently the only way to get the rarer designs through console is to add the item "ifed_ship_package2" manually, which will give you all the missing designs. Don't ask me why the command line mod doesn't include these blueprints, because they certainly exist.

Vandermeer

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2022, 08:44:14 AM »

Ok, I cross checked with two prominent mods the values for Supply per Deployment and Month, CR per deployment, CR regeneration per day. I adjusted them to more reflect the modern standard for their size class.
I also noticed the prices were not as high as the new version sets everything. I made the ships more expensive, but it probably isn't enough yet. Waiting for more feedback.

Update is uploaded in first post.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4