Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Gameplay - Asteroid Targeting  (Read 2009 times)

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
Gameplay - Asteroid Targeting
« on: July 05, 2011, 01:53:10 PM »

Asteroids can be a serious threat to the well-being of your ship. That is why I think we should have a dynamic in-game toggle key for "Asteroid Targeting" mode, on/off.

By default, this mode would be off. The current behavior of all weapon systems basically ignoring asteroids altogether would thus be preserved.

But if you toggle this mode on for the ship you're piloting, all asteroids are now treated as low-priority hostile targets. That means all point defense systems and other weapons will target asteroids (but only if there are no higher-priority hostile ships in range), and asteroids will be explicitly targetable like ships are. The readout for an asteroid should display something like "Asteroid, 575 tons" or something. The only reason for explicitly targeting asteroids like this would be to target them with missiles.

If you then toggle the mode off, and an asteroid is the current target, it will be un-targeted. Missiles that were previously launched at a targeted asteroid would not be affected, however (it isn't possible to re-direct missiles once fired).

And yes, Alex, this is really just so I can implement more SC2 ships ::) but I really think it's a legitimate feature for all of Starfarer ;D

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Gameplay - Asteroid Targeting
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 04:44:09 PM »

Heheh, all this so the Earthling Crusier can shoot down asteroids? Recharging a la the Slylandro probe would likely work as a system, anyway. Am I forgetting some other asteroid uses?

I think it'd be simplest to just make PD weapons target asteroids if there's nothing else around - it's been a low priority todo item for a while. It's not as simple as it sounds, though. Right now it would need to iterate over all the asteroids, and lots of PD weapons times lots of asteroids would not be healthy for the CPU usage. Need to hook it into the same grid that makes overall collision checking be not n^2. Which is why I haven't done it yet :)