Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: Uniquifying the Factions, Part 1  (Read 23042 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Uniquifying the Factions, Part 1
« on: March 18, 2022, 09:32:42 AM »

Blog post here.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 09:34:51 AM by Alex »

Timid

• Admiral
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: Uniquifying the Factions, Part 1
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2022, 09:45:16 AM »

Hopefully for part 2, the League get their own cool music theme.

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2022, 09:54:00 AM »

70 base speed """""low-tech""""" capitals with a better plasma burn? 10k armor? The powercreep is real, high-tech forever worst tech.

Farya

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2022, 10:00:44 AM »

Orion drive sounds like something pathers would like to temper with. They would get their own variants of church ships, right? I could really see pathers repurpousing Orion Drive into an orbital bombardment weapon of sorts.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 01:04:03 PM by Farya »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2022, 10:01:47 AM »

What is the max crew of Invictus?  Even with a skeleton crew of 4000, this would be useful as a colony ship to transport a huge population at once.  If the difference between maximum crew and skeleton crew of Invictus is significantly more than Onslaught or Legion, then it can be even useful as a troop transport.  I already use Onslaught and Legion at times as raider ships because they can haul many marines with their excess personnel capacity.  More convenient than hauling a bunch of Starliners and Nebulas.

Retribution with its Orion Device reminds me of an egg-laying bug.

AcaMetis

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2022, 10:05:08 AM »

Not going to lie, already looking forward to the mods that are going to add pather/pirate variants of these crazy behemoths.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2022, 10:17:11 AM »

70 base speed """""low-tech""""" capitals with a better plasma burn? 10k armor? The powercreep is real, high-tech forever worst tech.

You uhh might want to actually read the blog post! Its 10k armor, but only counts as 1k for reduction purposes, so the whole lineup of effective high shot size weaponry we currently have will be able to chew through it the same way they chew through an Eagle, only taking 10x longer. 10k is a lot but without the damage reduction it doesn't make weapons obsolete, and its not so much compared to the amount of damage that a capital shield can tank. For the battlecruiser, it only has 800 armor and a 1.2 shield! Its flux stats are probably good, but this thing is looking like an extreme glass cannon for a capital. Its like a big Eradicator... that is much easier to kill!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2022, 10:24:51 AM »

Orion drive sounds like something pathers would like to temper with.

It does, doesn't it? :-X

What is the max crew of Invictus?  Even with a skeleton crew of 4000, this would be useful as a colony ship to transport a huge population at once.  If the difference between maximum crew and skeleton crew of Invictus is significantly more than Onslaught or Legion, then it can be even useful as a troop transport.  I already use Onslaught and Legion at times as raider ships because they can haul many marines with their excess personnel capacity.  More convenient than hauling a bunch of Starliners and Nebulas.

It's currently 6k, so yeah, you could totally do that.

Not going to lie, already looking forward to the mods that are going to add pather/pirate variants of these crazy behemoths.

(Depending on how a few things shake out, you might not have to.)

For the battlecruiser, it only has 800 armor and a 1.2 shield! Its flux stats are probably good, but this thing is looking like an extreme glass cannon for a capital. Its like a big Eradicator... that is much easier to kill!

It does have good flux stats! Still looking a bit at its balance, though. But the main thing to keep in mind for it is it has Distributed Fire Control - meaning, *no ITU or DTC*.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2022, 10:26:57 AM »

Alex, you were meant to bring balance to fleet compositions, not fill them with capital ships!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2022, 10:28:25 AM »

If there are as many frigates as there are capital ships, that seems pretty balanced, no?

(I know you're joking, but I'm not actually sure what you mean. Just "counts of ships of a given type, that exist", right? Not "fleet compositions"?)

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2022, 10:29:22 AM »

It's still a capital that gains +500 armor from the hullmod if you want to. And gauss cannons without ITU are longer range than 700 range large energies with capital ITU, not to mention better scaling with officer skills.

Retribution looks like it can support triple gauss with its flux stats, and SIX harpoon pods on top of that. While being faster than Odyssey.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2022, 10:35:17 AM »

(Depending on how a few things shake out, you might not have to.)
I wish for more high-tech or midline pirate ships.
If there are as many frigates as there are capital ships, that seems pretty balanced, no?

(I know you're joking, but I'm not actually sure what you mean. Just "counts of ships of a given type, that exist", right? Not "fleet compositions"?)
Adding 3 new capital ships in a single update looks a bit like giving up on preventing capital spam.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2022, 10:39:37 AM »

Maaaan I'm so happy we're getting new capitals to make everything feel cool in their own way. That said, a ship with 4 built in hullmods dayuum, you'll need 5 minutes just to understand how the ship even works. Everything that's been shown so far I'm really content with, honestly have zero criticism except pls don't have us wait too long for part 2  :'(

Can't wait to see how the other factions became more unique (I'd guess all those missiles teased before play a role hmm).
Please don't take me too seriously.

Rain

• Ensign
  • Burn bright!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2022, 10:42:23 AM »

Interesting. I'd always liked the feel of the Sector as a place where people are mostly 'stuck with what they've got', and so while I'm a fan of faction mods, the way they often come with whole fleets worth of custom ships quite swiftly makes the game feel really bloated for me; this 'compromise' of emphasizing different capitals with a pool of 'what you got' around it plus specific weapon picks seems like a neat direction. Tweaking faction files towards this standard may be more work for me to tailor the game to my liking but it's a nifty sort of standard idea to work around.

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2022, 10:42:36 AM »

Can't wait to see how the other factions became more unique (I'd guess all those missiles teased before play a role hmm).
This blog post mentions factions having exclusive access to high-powered weapons, guess League is going to be the missile spam faction. They are getting a missile capital and a midline (?) missile destroyer.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12