Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Buff makeshift shield generator (by a lot)  (Read 1048 times)

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Buff makeshift shield generator (by a lot)
« on: March 18, 2022, 12:02:47 AM »

Seriously, if a ship had frontal 90 degree shields with 1.2 efficiency, I would shield shunt it. Yet the hullmod expects me to pay premium OP amount and sacrifice 20% (!!!) speed for the privilege.

If we are to be honest, it's basically a D-mod for enemy fleets that use it.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 03:39:56 AM by Amoebka »

LinWasTaken

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Buff makeshift shield generator (by a lot)
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2022, 03:47:18 AM »

Id say ether lower the op cost or make the efficiency better. the 90degrees and -20%speed are understandable. because the ship wasn't designed to have shields.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2022, 08:31:59 AM »

Also agreed - a shield like that would be okay on something with good flux stats, but the sorts of ships that don't have shields are also exactly the sorts of ships that don't have good flux stats. Makeshift shield generator makes the ships using it easier to kill - and would do so even without the speed debuff.

That said, I'd suggest something a little bit different as a fix than changing the shield efficiency or removing the speed debuff: Make the lore on the mod note that it requires replacing / updating the ship's entire flux network, and have the hullmod grant a flat bonus to flux capacity and dissipation (based on hull size).
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2022, 09:29:49 AM »

The 1.2 efficiency kills it on the ships that would use it.  I tried it on Hound and Cerberus, but they overload too quickly, making the hullmod a liability.  Then again, they are combat freighter hybrids like a Mule.

I would like to see what a real combat ship with Makeshift Shields would be like.  Maybe let Vanguard replace its Damper Field with Makeshift Shield Generator if player did not get the skills to go all-out on armor.

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2022, 09:37:59 AM »

That said, I'd suggest something a little bit different as a fix than changing the shield efficiency or removing the speed debuff: Make the lore on the mod note that it requires replacing / updating the ship's entire flux network, and have the hullmod grant a flat bonus to flux capacity and dissipation (based on hull size).
It would basically achieve the same thing as improving efficiency, but also boost offensive potential. A player could install the makeshift generator for the flux, never raise the shield, and use the acquired dissipation/capacity to fire more guns. This doesn't fit thematically.

Personally I would prefer to at least see the speed debuff gone and the OP cost reduced. The efficiency can be improved with HS or field modulation.

Nao

• Ensign
  • (A!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2022, 09:41:03 AM »

One possible lore friendly buff could be to halve the OP cost of installing further shield modifications, and/or maybe increase their effectiveness.
After all it's already a hack job in the hangar... any mods should be much easier to throw in. Like installing water cooling on a bench PC :)

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2022, 11:22:19 AM »

It would basically achieve the same thing as improving efficiency, but also boost offensive potential. A player could install the makeshift generator for the flux, never raise the shield, and use the acquired dissipation/capacity to fire more guns. This doesn't fit thematically.
A player could, yes, but that would require the player to be manually flying such a ship. Which is... well. It's a choice, I guess? Not a good choice, but... yeah.

(As for theme, I don't see a problem with it. Installing a shield generator requires tuning up the ship's flux grid, and that has some knock-on benefits? Well, yes, that is how that works.)
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2022, 02:10:46 AM »

After all it's already a hack job in the hangar...

So... Maybe this shield generator isn't really hooked into the flux grid properly anyway.
It works fine in the hangar, but when stressed it can't really cope well at all and shuts down violently.

Game effect:
Ships with a makeshift shield cannot be overloaded by shield flux. When the flux hits maximum, the shield will instead 'fail' and take some amount of time to reset before it can be raised again. (Marked by a countdown in the status area.)
This 'failure' causes EMP arcing based on the maximum flux level of the ship that may temporariliy disable weapons or engines. Larger ships will be more affected than smaller ones.
Adding capacitors to a ship will give it more shield 'HP', but potentially see it suffer more consequences in battle.

HullMods and skills that boost repairs and EMP hardening can mitigate this.