Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Clusters of derelicts  (Read 853 times)

Ehlloes

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Clusters of derelicts
« on: March 12, 2022, 02:02:16 AM »

Often times when finding a number of derelict ships spread out in a cluster, say, around an inactive gate, you need to interact with every single ship individually in order to salvage (or recover) them all. Besides the usual salvaged resources like supplies, the game offers rarer additional incentives to interact with every piece of debris that you find - occasional dumps of high value resources like heavy armaments or harvested kidneys, new exploration intel for locations of interest, high level officers etc.
However the process of interacting with 5-10 kites or drams in a row becomes pretty annoying pretty fast - click ship, click explore, click recover or not, click salvage, click take all, click ok. Hotkeys help speed up the process, but not by as much as you'd expect, since half the options have different keys so you can't just spam 1 to quickly move through all the menus. As a result, more often than not, I find myself just skipping these clouds of derelicts, since the typical result of 10-20 supplies and some metal just isn't tempting enough to go through all the options to clean up that area of space. Of course I'm then left with a thought nagging me, whether one of the only 4 level 7 officers in the sector was sitting in one of those shrikes in that debris field that I had just ignored.
I understand this comes across as nitpicky, but after a while this whole process just feels needlessly tedious and annoying, and you feel punished for not going through it, due to the potential high-value drops that can be found. This small issue sticks out like a sore thumb for me personally. I don't know if this has been discussed already, but my suggestion is to allow the player to immediately interact with all derelicts in a small area around him, and roll all of them into the same menu for salvaging or recovery without having the player literally be on top of every single one. Perhaps this could be integrated into the salvage skill, which would allow the player to interact with derelicts from a short distance away.

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Clusters of derelicts
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2022, 02:35:45 AM »

While interacting with all derelict in a radius would be a welcome feature, extremely high-value loot being found in random wrecks is an issue in itself. I feel compelled to check every single object because there can be Paragon blueprints or level 7 cryosleepers in them, and it's very tiring.

High-level unique loot should be restricted somehow. Maybe only cruiser/capital wrecks can have level 7s, random blueprints from safes are limited to low-value common ones, etc.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2022, 01:27:29 AM »

It would be more convenient to be able to scoop up multiple wrecks simultaneously.
And there is a precedent in that the salvaging process has already been streamlined somewhat.

There is one issue though.
What if there's a specific wreck that you don't want to either salvage or recover, but want to revist later?
For instance a ship that's too large for you to realistically be able to support or even move right now.

You'd need the general salvage options to be changed from binary to tri-state.
Or...
You'd need to change the salvage options from recover/scrap to recover/leave, and force the player to go into the fleet manager and scrap unwanted ships individually. (bleh, don't think this is too great.)
Or...
Give the player a list of eligible ships to interact with and have a set of 3 check boxes / radio buttons for each to allow for selection. (messy.)

But, you could at least re-use the post battle recovery screen as the UI so you wouldn't have to make something from scratch, and as a side bonus all ship recoveries then go through the same looking interface.
And the tri-state could be re-purposed from the pursuit deployment (frigates use this), so that shouldn't be a huge issue.

How would this new 'area salvage' handle interaction events though?

BobExplains

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2022, 11:26:21 PM »

I actually like the current system, also, I suggest not to go through them too quickly, because some of the derelicts actually have S-mods!

Ordinarily I wouldn't consider recovering some ships but if they have good S-mods they are a bit more valuable and it's a nice surprise, so now I try to slow down slightly to check them more carefully.

I agree with Ehlloes that often there are cases where I don't want to recover a ship right away or scrap it. Also there are the mechanics for missions involving ships too, so many reasons why the system works the way it does currently. Usually if you turn off sustained burn your fleet becomes very manoeuvrable and can move smoothly from ship-to-ship.