Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: No autosave? Seriously?  (Read 6707 times)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
Re: No autosave? Seriously?
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2022, 09:22:29 AM »

(Yeah - if it wasn't for the time it takes to save, I wouldn't mind adding the feature. But cutting the time down by the amount required is extremely non-trivial.)

(An occasional "time since last saved" message would be trivial and help a lot, though...)
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2022, 09:38:35 AM »

(An occasional "time since last saved" message would be trivial and help a lot, though...)

(I was going to say that that's a bit of an immersion-breaker so I wouldn't want to have that, but that's exactly the sort of thing it's easy to make an option for, hmm.)

NikoTheGuyDude

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2022, 12:35:58 PM »

(I was going to say that that's a bit of an immersion-breaker so I wouldn't want to have that, but that's exactly the sort of thing it's easy to make an option for, hmm.)

A lot of things are conceptually immersion breakers but really aren't.

Ex. The FPS counter, the XP gained message, story point gaining, etc. I play with the autosave mod, which adds a notification, and it doesn't really do much in that aspect.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2022, 12:38:41 PM »

A lot of things are conceptually immersion breakers but really aren't.

It's very much a subjective thing! I mean, trivial counter-point: it's an immersion-breaker for me :D

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2022, 01:35:57 PM »

Saving is just TT downloading a copy of your data across the internet, like any true intrusive corporation.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Superasil

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2024, 02:05:50 PM »

Necro'ing this thread because honestly, I can't believe that a game in the Year of Our Lord 2024 still does not have an Autosave feature. Honestly, it's just straight up crazy to me. Yeah sure, there's a mod out there for it (which is not updated to the latest version to the game) but that should not be necessary.

I genuinely cannot think of another game event remotely similar to this game that does not have an Autosave feature. It's frankly just kind of embarrassing.

No, it doesn't have to be forced, it can easily be a toggle. No, it's not immersion breaking, that's dumb. It's a base feature that should 1000% be given priority in development time over.... pretty much everything.

Killer of Fate

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2024, 02:28:34 PM »

Starsector is a retro game designed for bab computers. This is why planet's textures are so low resolution, this is why fighters aren't ridiculous in amounts, this is why fights are locked to 300 DP.

I believe when Fractal designed this game, they wanted to make something people in unfortunately less developed regions of this planet to enjoy without having to worry too much about their already decayed equipment experiencing major failures. The crashing of the game is minimal, and across my long playing, I have never had a crash until I started modding the game. And even then, the game would usually not explode unless I did something really stupid.

I would like to express gratitude for the fact that this game was designed with batman computers in mind, as I myself, had a very batman computer for most part of my life, including the one in which I was playing a lot of Starsector.

I believe the non-inclusion of the auto-save feature is simply meant to make loading screens as well as other transitionary states less convoluted. Old video games didn't have autosaves anyway, tbh.

Deus Ex, Fallout 1 and 2, Starcraft 1. I agree that this may be inconvenient, and I feel really bad for your loss. I can especially understand considering travelling and fighting in this game takes ridiculously long amounts of time. Causing most players to mod super fast *** ships, combat acceleration and mod campaign speed.

If I can recommend you to do something to counter-act this issue without affecting the original game's gameplay too much.
Please find these settings...
Spoiler
   "minTravelSpeed",
   "speedPerBurnLevel"
[close]
and change their values to [linked image].

This will significantly shorten the amount of time spent on travelling around the galaxy. But may break the balance of expeditions, etc. But, whatever... These aspects needed to be broken anyway. At least in my limited perception.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2024, 02:32:12 PM by Killer of Fate »

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2024, 05:07:15 PM »

Please respect the rules on necroing old posts. If you feel something is still an issue, make a new post about it.

The forum rules can be found here: https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=2668.0

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]