Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: New vanilla DREADNOUGHT  (Read 10401 times)

Doctorhealsgood

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: New vanilla DREADNOUGHT
« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2022, 12:41:45 AM »

Actually, I don't know why it doesn't just come with 2 hangars, like yeah you have the option of NOT taking converted hangar but would you really? You spend a mere 20 OP and get 2 fighter bays without the downsides of a normal converted hangar. If your build isn't of taking advantage of that then you messed up. Might as well just give us the 2 hangars and take 20 OP off the ship, then it would only need 3 built-in hullmods instead of 4.
If you take a closer look at the ship, you'll see that almost everything on it has a higher than average value. Like you said, a Converted Hangar will add a lot to this ship for an average cost, and so will armour and hull boosting hullmods. And add every single large ballistic being cheaper by 10 OP you can see how the ship is built around that tight OP budget. I sincerely doubt you'll be able to comfortably mount 2 Xyphos wing unless you really give up something else.
Isn't armor boosting usually flat values? Wouldn't that make those mods less valuable because of ablative armor?
Quote from: Doctorhealsgood
Sometimes i feel like my brain has been hit by salamanders not gonna lie.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 23, 2022, 12:45:19 AM »

Only Heavy Armour gives you a flat bonus I think. Armored weapon mounts gives a percentage, and so do Reinforced Bulkheads, Insulated Engine Assembly and Blast Doors (even though I never use the last two). Shield Shunt also fits in that group but since the ship doesn't have shields to begin with, it can't be installed.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2022, 08:27:11 AM »

Only Heavy Armour gives you a flat bonus I think.
We have hullmods that can give either flat or percentage to other stats.  For example, Expanded Cargo Holds give +30% capacity if it is greater than the flat value.  It normally gives +30 to frigates, but Wayfarer gets +45 because 30% of 150.

Hopefully, Heavy Armor will be updated to flat or percentage, whichever is greater, to accommodate Invictus.  Current Heavy Armor would be no good for something with 10K armor.

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2022, 09:49:06 AM »

Hopefully, Heavy Armor will be updated to flat or percentage, whichever is greater, to accommodate Invictus.  Current Heavy Armor would be no good for something with 10K armor.
Hopefully, it won't be updated to accommodate Invictus, so we get one less nobrainer hullmod and have to actually think about loadout design for once.

BigBrainEnergy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2022, 09:59:08 AM »

Yeah I'm fine with Invictus not using heavy armour, it's already a no-brainer on virtually every other low-tech ship.
TL;DR deez nuts

Doctorhealsgood

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2022, 11:26:48 AM »

Only Heavy Armour gives you a flat bonus I think. Armored weapon mounts gives a percentage, and so do Reinforced Bulkheads, Insulated Engine Assembly and Blast Doors (even though I never use the last two). Shield Shunt also fits in that group but since the ship doesn't have shields to begin with, it can't be installed.
Personally if it weren't for the fact that i like to put solar shielding on everything so i can surf storms i would use it to be sneakier. It REALLY makes a difference when you want to be subtle. That aside it makes me happy the invictus benefits well from armored weapon mounts just because with distributed fire control the turrets are probably going to be nigh-indestructible and the mental picture of the invictus firing non-stop without rest while being subject to a barrage of attacks is something i enjoy.
Quote from: Doctorhealsgood
Sometimes i feel like my brain has been hit by salamanders not gonna lie.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]