Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: (Request for mods) Self-Replicating Ship Faction  (Read 1810 times)

Xhaldor

• Ensign
    • View Profile
(Request for mods) Self-Replicating Ship Faction
« on: March 09, 2022, 02:17:43 PM »

I request if someone can make a mod that is like the forge mod:
----

Raw Minerals + Machinery -> Metals
Raw Rare + Machinery -> Transplutonics
Metals + Machinery -> Supplies
Transplutonics + Metals -> Machinery

Metals + Transplutonics + Supplies + Machinery ---> Ship Hulls

Requires the ship to build itself or smaller ships, to upgrade to larger hulls requires X of the same hull and resources to increase hull size like:
Frigate + Frigate + Metals + Transplutonics ---> Destroyer
ETC...

----
https://endless-sky.fandom.com/wiki/Kor_Mereti - From Endless Sky, what the ships would look like

Fighters:
Interceptor - https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/endless-sky/images/e/e9/Far_lek_14.png/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/40?cb=20200207212451
Fighter - https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/endless-sky/images/2/27/Far_osk_27.png/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/50?cb=20200207212329

Frigates:
Light - https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/endless-sky/images/b/b4/Model_8.png/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/80?cb=20200207211520
Heavy - https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/endless-sky/images/6/6a/Model_16.png/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/70?cb=20200207211403

Destroyer:
 - https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/endless-sky/images/1/18/Model_32.png/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/80?cb=20200207210930

Cruisers:
Light - https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/endless-sky/images/c/c1/Model_64.png/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/100?cb=20200207210932
Heavy - https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/endless-sky/images/e/e3/Model_128.png/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/160?cb=20200207210818

Capital:
Light - https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/endless-sky/images/9/93/Model_256.png/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/180?cb=20200207210638
Heavy - https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/endless-sky/images/3/33/Model_512.png/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/180?cb=20200207210336

Also would like to have ship factory stations, tiny, small, medium, large, huge sizes, or something like that.
Market Size = Size. Cannot go up, only upgraded.

Tiny Docking Bay - Instant build time on stable locations, asteroid rings, or planet orbiting.
-Costs 150 metals, 20 transplutonics, 10 supplies (OPTIONAL), 10 heavy machinery to build.
-Extremely small and cheap.
-Only serves as a storage and adds $10,000 to the monthly production (Blueprints, first way of making ships).
-Has no way of defending itself, no drones, no fleets, no weapons. 
--Suggested to be placed in player-controlled or safe systems as a backup as if destroyed, all items in storage WILL BE DESTROYED.
-Size: 2

->Upgrade (30 days)<-

Small Production Outpost -
-Costs 300 metals, 30 transplutonics, 30 supplies (OPTIONAL), 20 heavy machinery to upgrade.
-Small and cheap
-Adds $20,000 to the monthly production (Blueprints, first way of making ships).
-Can produce fighters and frigate fleets, but very rarely, normally stored for self-defense.
-Has a single weapon platform and hangar bay (like mid-tech), but is weaker.
--Suggested to be used to aid systems with new colonies for early defense.
-Size: 3

-->Upgrade (60 days)<--

Production Outpost -
-Costs 500 metals, 50 transplutonics, 50 supplies (OPTIONAL), 30 heavy machinery to upgrade.
-Basic outpost.
-Adds $50,000 to the monthly production (Blueprints, first way of making ships).
-Can produce up to light cruisers and small fleets, more commonly, normally stored for self-defense.
-Has two weapon platforms, and a hangar bay (like low-tech), which almost matches the strength of a battle station.
--Better for early colonies with perfect hazard rating, made to invest and get back. Quite powerful, can be used alone to conquer entire systems.
-Size: 4

--->Upgrade (90 days)<---

Factory -
-Costs 1000 metals, 100 transplutonics, 100 supplies (OPTIONAL), 50 heavy machinery to upgrade.
-Big outpost or small capital.
-Adds $100,000 to the monthly production (Blueprints, first way of making ships).
-Can produce bigger fleets with even capital ships and is known to be able to establish colonies and build stations on its own.
-Similar to the low-tech stellar fortress, first station tier to have shield, 360 degrees and very strong.
--Suggested to aid capture of systems and aid raids, alone can be quite a challenge to destroy.
Size: 5.

--->Upgrade (120 days)<---

Mega Factory -
-Costs 3000 metals, 300 transplutonics, 500 supplies (OPTIONAL), 200 heavy machinery to upgrade.
-Huge Capital
-ONLY ONE CAN BE BUILT AT A TIME!!!
-Adds $300,000 to the monthly production (Blueprints, first way of making ships).
-Can produce entire capital fleets, destroy entire fleets, producing at quite an extremely fast rate (like remnant), and is quite scary. Yet takes a lot of investment and many fleets will try and stop the building of this behemoth.
-As strong as a remnant nexus, but always has fleets orbiting it, and can produce ships in-battle.
--Game-breaking, good luck to the other factions.

How ships are made - After the resources are sent, EITHER the monthly production will be used to spawn a fleet either in the factories to follow the player and interact as if was special task group from Nexerelin, assigning and unassigning officers/cores and ships. OR Have a custom order sent within 10-20 days to give the ships to the player.

Currently no name for the faction, but should be used as a playable faction. Having every faction (pirates and Ludd will be at -60 normally), at -30 reputation, prohibiting docking.
(My first post  ;D)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 03:48:57 PM by Xhaldor »

alaricdragon

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: (Request for mods) Self-Replicating Ship Faction
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2022, 11:02:27 PM »

so if I'm reading this right, you want to build a faction mod, with an forge ability for the player that can also be used to remove and add ships (simulating merging them together to make bigger ships), with something like Terraforming and Station Construction that can be used to make markets that produce fleets?

if you want to learn how to make this mod of yours, I would advice you start with making the ships a reality. there is some good tutorials out there for adding ships to starsector, and some good one for making factions as well. then from there move on to ether your ship forge ability, or your market Docking Bay, outposts, and factory afterwards, and then maybe start on you faction features after. as they will most likely require some coding ability to make. and that can be hard to get into sometimes, but very fun once you are.

an interesting idea of a mod overall. I like the concept of the player being able to build ships with an ability. and its something that I think is possible to do in starsector modding as well.
the Docking Bay, outposts, and factory's would likely need to be mush more costly if you want them not to be crazy overpowered, as a suggestion

best of luck on your mod.

Xhaldor

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2022, 07:49:19 AM »

Yeah the problem is am on mac and for some reason all ship maker mods are unavailable to me. Then factions I am pretty sure the same, yet I think those are easier to make. I've tried using the wiki and fandom and tutorials but I cannot get a single ship right. They don't appear.

Xhaldor

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2022, 09:44:53 AM »

Nevermind, tried for two hours and everytime everything would fail or delete itself like the CSV files would never save. I give up. I am on mac and every single application for ship builder or anything basically fails.

Xhaldor

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2022, 11:11:48 AM »

Rather I look if someone can make my idea a reality, no rush, but this is what I see how it works:
-Make a line of ships that can't be brought and only made using the skills. (Yes can be sold but only at black market)
-Once that is done add hullmods that can fit depending on size: Small shipyard, medium, large, Xlarge, depending on hull size. Can build ships up to its own size and upgrade to larger ships if has enough materials and ships to fuse. They can be removed and added, but you can only fit it's corresponding size, not smaller or larger.
-Shipyard station building in either around planets or stable locations like Terraforming and Station Construction. They will be like conolonies with built in Patrol HQ's but only spawn in those ships.
-Blueprints for those patrol HQ's should only be the ships of this mod
-Increase colony size (but won't really be a colony) depending on the size of the station factory.
-Make shield bypass weapons just like the tachyon lance.
-Ships are generally weaker than human or any other counterparts, power in numbers.
-Maybe the largest ships can be also mobile shipyards allowing spawning in fleets that orbit and patrol the system and follow the fleet.

SirHartley

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2022, 01:03:11 PM »

What you are requesting here is hundreds of hours of work, by someone that can both code and sprite, which is rare in and on itself. I apologize, but it's not going to happen unless you make it yourself.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2022, 09:35:47 PM »

To be fair, I could be persuaded to work on it... but I doubt anybody with that kind of budget would be e-begging for it on an open forum.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2022, 09:38:11 PM »

dammit, double post.

bananana

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2022, 05:52:55 AM »

----

Requires the ship to build itself or smaller ships, to upgrade to larger hulls requires X of the same hull and resources to increase hull size like:
ETC...

what a coincidence
i'm already working on a faction that does all that and more
except the sunless sky enemy sprites obviously, not even similar, mainly because the aesthetics were decided on about 2 years before sunless sky was released

but the forge, ship and weapon production is partially done already
as in, techically works, but crashes the game more often than not, and done in a very barebones way without any ui hints on what is actually happening
but it will be done, someday, maybe
i'm more of a combat layer guy so the campaign wizardry is a new field of study for me, progress is slow

TLDR: it is in progress and will be done, but not exactly in the way you described, due to faction lore and engine limitations.

also, are you in any of the starsector discords? there's 4 so far(one russian though). a lot of mods in development aren't posted here on the forum while somewhat playable available in discord
« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 05:58:52 AM by passwalker »
Any and ALL sprites i ever posted on this forum are FREE to use. even if i'm using them myself. Don't ever, EVER ask for permission, or i will come to your home and EAT YOUR DOG!!!
i do NOT want to see my name appear in the credits section of any published mod and will consider it a personal insult.

Lortus

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2022, 08:16:45 AM »

I have modded on mac just fine.

for CSVs: LibreOffice
for json: visual studio code
for swp editor: download wine, download wine bottler, download swp editor, open swp editor through wine bottler. I had to redownload swp editor every time I closed it but I'm sure someone smarter and more dedicated than me could get it to download properly.
Then you can just follow the wiki or ask questions on the discord

Xhaldor

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2022, 07:18:48 PM »

----

ETC...

what a coincidence
except the sunless sky enemy sprites obviously, not even similar, mainly because the aesthetics were decided on about 2 years before sunless sky was released

as in, techically works, but crashes the game more often than not, and done in a very barebones way without any ui hints on what is actually happening
i'm more of a combat layer guy so the campaign wizardry is a new field of study for me, progress is slow

TLDR: it is in progress and will be done, but not exactly in the way you described, due to faction lore and engine limitations.

also, are you in any of the starsector discords? there's 4 so far(one russian though). a lot of mods in development aren't posted here on the forum while somewhat playable available in discord
Can't wait! Tell me once you got it, I could probably modify a version of it to fit mine and it would save me long hours of screaming. GL!

gaofusiji

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2022, 09:06:04 PM »

----

ETC...

what a coincidence

please Tell me once you got it, I could probably modify a version of it to fit mine and it would save me long hours of screaming. thanks