Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: [0.97a] Better Variants 1.4.0  (Read 77508 times)

itBeABruhMoment

• Commander
    • View Profile
[0.97a] Better Variants 1.4.0
« on: March 08, 2022, 09:47:12 PM »

Better Variants v1.4.0

git repo
download

requires variants lib 0.5.2 (download)
update to 0.5.2 immediately 0.5.0 and 0.5.1 are known to cause crashes

Game screen shots
Spoiler

[close]

Features
Better variants aims to make combat more challenging by adjusting the composition of AI fleets. Features include:
-    New and reworked ship variants in fleets
-    Officers of ships in fleets have skills and personalities relevant to the ship being piloted
-    Autofit being disabled for all fleets
-    Special, randomly occurring, themed fleets with unique compositions
-    Adjustable settings found in data/variants_lib of the mod folder
-    Version checking

Mod Compatibility
The features from this mod will not be run on fleets from non-vanilla factions, which (hopefully) ensures a decent amount of mod compatibility. There aren't really any mod compatibility features beyond this. I have not tested this mod extensively with others. Safe to add but not remove.

Change Log
Spoiler
- Updated to Starsector version 0.97
- Updated fleets and variants
- Fixed fleets not generating with correct officer skills
- Removed Magic Lib dependency

- updated and added content for 0.96
- temporarily removed exotic bounty missions

- compatibility with v0.2.0 of variants lib

- fixed exotic bounty event crashing the game

- split off a large portion of code to a separate lib
- now required variants lib
- new fleet variants
- fixed smods not applying on ai fleets
- adjusted spawning weights to make safety overrides ships less common
- settings are now in data/variants_lib of the mod's folder

-  fixed reputation gain for completing bounty

-  fixed crash related to bar event
-  adjusted bounty behaviour and rewards

-  Fixed exotic bounty bar event spawning on modded faction markets and causing crashes. If you still see this bar event on a save that has previously been running on version 1.0.0 of this mod, don't view it and wait
   for it to despawn.

-   added bar event "Talk to the officer offering exotic bounties" that gives bounties with fleet variants from this mod
-   now requires MagicLib

-   fixed modded ship spawning breaking
-   tweaked variants

-   settings json in data/bettervariants of mod folder
-   types variants unique to task forces and nexerlin revenge fleets
-   new fleet types and variants
-   version checking
[close]
« Last Edit: February 26, 2024, 07:57:34 AM by itBeABruhMoment »

pearagon

• Ensign
  • im into resting
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Better Variants 0.1.0
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2022, 12:45:13 PM »

I have yet to try this, it will have to wait for my next run or a 1.0 release, but I support this idea! I recall there being an attempt at something similar, but its long outdated, and this plans to me much more feature-complete. I'll be watching for any updates, godspeed

Nameless

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Better Variants 0.1.0
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2022, 09:34:23 PM »

This mod brings back the feeling that I miss when the fleets composition in 0.9.1 that had like, for example, 3 onslaughts 3 legions few dominators and such. And in 0.9.5 every fleets feels feeble.

itBeABruhMoment

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Better Variants 0.2.0
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2022, 05:50:34 PM »

I updated the mod, changes in change log

pearagon

• Ensign
  • im into resting
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Better Variants 0.2.0
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2022, 01:41:22 AM »

I updated the mod, changes in change log

When trying this out on a new save, all modded factions have no ships in their open/military/special markets. After removing this mod the markets had their normal stock again. I saw a few others having similar issues. I no longer have the logfile, but if you are unable to reproduce anything let me know and I'll try again.

itBeABruhMoment

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Better Variants 0.2.1
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2022, 10:07:55 AM »

Fixed the bug, download the new version

Offensive_Name

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2022, 05:39:55 PM »

I can't tell if it is this mod or second wave, or a combo of the two, but everyone and their mom now uses overdriven ships like crazy.

itBeABruhMoment

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Better Variants 1.0.0
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2022, 09:03:51 AM »

Presenting v1.0.0, with the "Talk to the officer offering exotic bounties" bar event, which gives bounties with fleet variants from this mod. This mod now required MagicLib. The large features I wanted to complete for this mod are done at this point, any future updates will likely be in the form of new fleet variants or updates to later versions of Star Sector.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2022, 03:32:18 PM »

Always looking for more mission content, I'll defiantly give it a go. Variety is the spice of life after all!

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2022, 06:45:54 AM »

Well I gave it a go this morning and took an exotic mission and received a crash to desktop:
Spoiler
933780 [Thread-3] DEBUG better_variants.bar_events.BetterVariantsBountyEvent  - traitor
933794 [Thread-3] DEBUG better_variants.scripts.fleetedit.FleetCompEditing  - editing pirate Deserters
933794 [Thread-3] DEBUG better_variants.scripts.fleetedit.FleetCompEditing  - CFT not registered
933794 [Thread-3] DEBUG better_variants.scripts.fleetedit.FleetCompEditing  - fleet not edited
933986 [Thread-3] INFO  sound.public  - Cleaning up music with id [miscallenous_corvus_campaign_music.ogg]
933986 [Thread-3] INFO  sound.public  - Cleaning up music with id [campaign_music_part_2_v28.ogg]
934002 [Thread-7] INFO  sound.public  - Cleaning up music with id [faction_pirate_market_03_friendly_var01.ogg]
934074 [Thread-9] INFO  sound.public  - Creating streaming player for music with id [faction_pirate_market_03_friendly_var01.ogg]
934075 [Thread-9] INFO  sound.OooO  - Playing music with id [faction_pirate_market_03_friendly_var01.ogg]
934312 [Thread-3] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.RuntimeException: Slot id [WS0005] not found on hull [BSC_Fennec(P)]
java.lang.RuntimeException: Slot id [WS0005] not found on hull [BSC_Fennec(P)]
[close]

I realize you state that you only use vanilla ships and BSC is a prefix for BigBeans mod. I looked through their code and saw no bar events or bounties so even though it is a Big Beans ship I think perhaps your code is pulling from it. I believe it may be because BigBeans is a ship compilation and not a faction mod and all their ships are added to vanilla faction "known ships".

I'll loop in BigBeans as well since it may be an issue on their end. Either way, keep up the good work!

itBeABruhMoment

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2022, 08:45:06 AM »

Well I gave it a go this morning and took an exotic mission and received a crash to desktop:
Spoiler
933780 [Thread-3] DEBUG better_variants.bar_events.BetterVariantsBountyEvent  - traitor
933794 [Thread-3] DEBUG better_variants.scripts.fleetedit.FleetCompEditing  - editing pirate Deserters
933794 [Thread-3] DEBUG better_variants.scripts.fleetedit.FleetCompEditing  - CFT not registered
933794 [Thread-3] DEBUG better_variants.scripts.fleetedit.FleetCompEditing  - fleet not edited
933986 [Thread-3] INFO  sound.public  - Cleaning up music with id [miscallenous_corvus_campaign_music.ogg]
933986 [Thread-3] INFO  sound.public  - Cleaning up music with id [campaign_music_part_2_v28.ogg]
934002 [Thread-7] INFO  sound.public  - Cleaning up music with id [faction_pirate_market_03_friendly_var01.ogg]
934074 [Thread-9] INFO  sound.public  - Creating streaming player for music with id [faction_pirate_market_03_friendly_var01.ogg]
934075 [Thread-9] INFO  sound.OooO  - Playing music with id [faction_pirate_market_03_friendly_var01.ogg]
934312 [Thread-3] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.RuntimeException: Slot id [WS0005] not found on hull [BSC_Fennec(P)]
java.lang.RuntimeException: Slot id [WS0005] not found on hull [BSC_Fennec(P)]
[close]

I realize you state that you only use vanilla ships and BSC is a prefix for BigBeans mod. I looked through their code and saw no bar events or bounties so even though it is a Big Beans ship I think perhaps your code is pulling from it. I believe it may be because BigBeans is a ship compilation and not a faction mod and all their ships are added to vanilla faction "known ships".

I'll loop in BigBeans as well since it may be an issue on their end. Either way, keep up the good work!

Forgot to do something that prevents the event from being given by modded factions. I did a fix, download the new version. If you still see the event on a modded faction market don't view it and wait for it to despawn.

itBeABruhMoment

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Better Variants 1.0.2
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2022, 12:09:28 PM »

A new version of this mod is available. See the change log for details

RedBaronFlyer

• Ensign
  • XIV Battlegroup Fanboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2022, 11:12:01 PM »

I can't tell if it is this mod or second wave, or a combo of the two, but everyone and their mom now uses overdriven ships like crazy.

Yeah, this is what I noticed as well, and it's ultimately what made me stop using the mod. It's honestly pretty annoying. At first, I thought that it was just pirates and pathers using it, but even the main factions like the Hegemony, Tri-tachyon, and the League's fleets will be 60%+ overdriven ships. It is just annoying as hell to fight because they just kite and kite and kite and kite the entire battle, which is the most annoying part of any battle. Despite the speed bonus SO provides, it actually makes battles take even longer because any ship in danger has more than enough speed to backup and passive vent, which just leads to both sides doing this over and over again until a few critical kills (usually capitals) leads to the losing side just kiting away. This often means that battles rarely actually decisive and instead lead to you having to chase down a fleet multiple times unless you're autoresolving. I figure that it's not much better if you are using mostly high-tech because most low-tech SO builds can outrun non-so high-tech stuff as well.

Other than that, I really enjoy the mod. I kind of wish there was an option to limit SO to appearing exclusively on pirate or pather stuff since that feels more appropriate for them exclusively.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2022, 11:23:31 PM by RedBaronFlyer »

Kaitol

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Better Variants 1.0.3
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2022, 10:55:51 AM »

I wouldn't necessarily get rid of it entirely on other factions, since an occasional SO ship could be an interesting wrench in a fight, perhaps just limit it to reckless commanders or aggressive ones flying low-tech ships...

itBeABruhMoment

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Better Variants 1.1.0
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2022, 07:00:54 PM »

v1.1.0 is out. A large portion of the mods code is now split off into a separate mod I'm calling VariantsLib. A writeup on that coming soonish. This version also contains a content update, see the change log for a full list. This version is not compatible with the last, start a new save if updating.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4