Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Warp/hyperspace bouys  (Read 4919 times)

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Warp/hyperspace bouys
« on: February 27, 2012, 02:41:11 PM »

I had a thought which I think would add a bit of strategic depth to the game: warp/hyperspace buoys (or superluminal beacons, or whatever you would like to call them)

They are like other combat objectives in that they can be captured and grant a few command points. In addition, they allow any reinforcements to be deployed directly to them instead of to the bottom edge of the map. Perhaps it would require significantly more reinforcement points to call ships directly to the beacon to counteract the advantage they give.

This would add strategic depth to holding back reserves and could set up multiple ambush possibilities - maybe you use one as a forward operating base to get capital ships quickly into position to strike. Maybe you know the AI is using one so you position strike craft ready to flank.

Also perhaps a campaign mission where that is the only way the AI deploys reinforcements and it is the players job to take it; "Assault on Hyperion Beacon" has a nice ring ;)

ClosetGoth

• Commander
  • Permanently TTRPG-brained
    • View Profile
Re: Warp/hyperspace bouys
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 05:50:37 PM »

Big Post Warning – Skip this post at own risk, but know that I have put a lot of effort into it!

Alright Thaago, I think I can offer the support, explanation, and background this idea needs to at least get noticed by the devs (if not seriously considered). Without further ado, let me tell you what I came up with for the Warp Buoys.

First Thoughts
I somewhat like the idea of "Warp Point" buoys, but I don't know if it would be too unbalanced, and become the center of every battle involving one. But, I have some ideas to avert this, as well as how this could be part of the lore.

Gameplay and Balance
Instead of being a full deploy point, what if they only allowed you to deploy up to 15 fleet points worth of ships. It could be kind of overpowered if you could deploy a pair of fighter wings, nab the point, and use your remaining fleet points to drop capital ships and cruisers onto the center of the field. But, to not limit the player too much, each point adds 15 points to the "warp point" pool, which is the total that can be spent over all "Warp Buoys".

Example: If you captured two points, you now have up to 30 fleet points of ships you can deploy, which can be spent at either point. You could, for example, deploy a Hound (3 points) and a Condor (9 points) at one buoy, and an Odyssey (18 points) at the other point.

Technical Feasibility
The in-game reasoning for the limit is simple: The warp network can only handle so many ships in the timeframe of one battle. Adding a second nearby warp point to the network allows it to share the energy load (or whatever awesome physics shenanigans Alex thinks up) on the first warp point.

Lore
First, I must note: The usage for these buoys was originally for long-distance teleportation of ships, not local teleportation. More on that later.

It is not at all far-fetched to think they would not be designed to allow hundreds of ships through. Warping ships would require a significant energy collection setup, and would most likely be owned by private companies offering fast transport to groups that need a VIP or important cargo delivered somewhere safely, no questions asked (and for whom money would not be an object). Having two buoys allows for one to stay in operation all the time, even if the other is under maintenance. This would make the company known for being reliable, increasing business and making it even more profitable.

We would most likely see a higher concentration of warp buoys near stars, where solar collection would be most efficient, allowing for cheaper construction. Also, we would see some near independent orbital stations, for people needing a fast escape from the local interstellar police. Buoys far from stars were more expensive for all parties, as either large solar rigs had to be constructed, or they had to be supplied with high amounts of fuel.

Now, this whole system worked fine, until war collapsed control of the warp network. Now disconnected, warp points function the same as before, but rely on the short range of individual ships' computers for teleportation. Built to last, and function autonomously, the buoys have slowly drifted out of their orbits, landing them all across star systems. Some have been cannibalized, for their solar rigs or their quality parts, or even converted to bases of operation. A common use is for mining crews to build onto the buoy, and use it to warp back entire mining teams at once. With this capability, the main fleet can be on the move constantly, never having to wait by sites to provide protection to the mining drones.

While independent groups may have a use for the buoys is they can fund the conversion of the buoys, larger parties like the hegemony have surprisingly little use for them. Massive factory systems were required to produce the gargantuan Warp Buoys, so the limited production lines available to even the largest factions are better suited to pumping out crucial ships. Rebuilding the extensive network of warp buoys is simply not an option. As well, their efficient and unique construction reduces the number of salvageable parts that can find uses elsewhere. Even if one were to be left intact, it is very fuel-burning to drag such a behemoth around. Simply put, their demand is at an all-time low. ;)

Since demand is so low, more than the occasional buoy can be found floating through space, relatively ignored by most factions. They are still of strategic value in a large battle, as their control would allow commanders to move powerful ships into the heart of the battle, leaving the enemy commander struggling to race his slow cruisers into a fight that is suddenly going against him.

Were a faction to have prior control of such a buoy, it would be of limited use in a battle, as the buoy would first have to me moved into the heart of the fight under constant fire. But, were an engagement to occur near a buoy, risk-taking commanders could position the battle so that control of the buoy would yield a great advantage, if they were able to link to it first...
Starfaring since the very beginning of 2012

ClosetGoth

• Commander
  • Permanently TTRPG-brained
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 04:37:08 PM »

Bump because I put enough work into this post that I want somebody to dang read it!
Starfaring since the very beginning of 2012

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 05:28:09 PM »

Bump because I put enough work into this post that I want somebody to dang read it!
If I knew how, I would.  There are some epic storyline tellers here, and you know who you are.
Anyway, I agree.  The occasional, note that, OCCASIONAL warp buoy would be a fantastic idea, made for extra-large fleet engagements (maybe the "Defense Fleet" sizes? xD).  It would provide a huge strategic bonus for the team which holds it.  This game has really got to go into multiplayer for the commanders to really know what value they hold, since I'd be particularly hard for the AI to recognize what points to take first, in my opinion.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Degraine

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 05:30:31 PM »

I like the idea, Thaago. It would certainly help with the problem mentioned elsewhere of getting capital ships into combat in a timely manner late in the game. Catattack is right about some kind of limitation being needed but as the combat stands right now, this concept would contribute a lot.

Zapier

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 06:31:12 PM »

In regards to the OP, it would have to be some sort of a hyperdrive buoy or something, for that is the system that is used to traverse around the sector.

There was a topic started awhile back that answered some Lore questions, but once .5a came out, it got pushed way far back. Here it is... http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=437.msg3826#msg3826

And... here's a snippet.

• How do ships travel around the sector? Is there some kind of hyperdrive or is it all done at sub-light speeds and using cryogenics?

Hyperdrive - ships enter an alternate dimension. Though there's still a bit of internal debate about the specifics :)

• Is communication between planets instantaneaous? Or rather radio-wave speed?

Somewhere in-between - there are comm relays, and news can take days/weeks to get around.

• Have there been attempts to seek out other sectors? Is that even high on the agenda of Starfarer's factions?

Unknown. Any such attempt *would* have to use cryogenics (in hyperspace) and would be extremely dangerous.

• How big is the sector? Are there hundred of worlds? Or is more like dozens?

About 6 months to a year to traverse using hyperdrive. Aiming for ~1k star systems, but that could change appreciably in either direction.

• How many of those worlds are 'major worlds'?

We're calling them "core worlds", and there are ~20. There's no colonization going on anymore - that's beyond human capability now. So any core world that's lost - whether due to the collapse of authority, war, or large-scale industrial sabotage - is a permanent blow against human civilization in the Sector.

So, Catattack, your post was well thought out and I'm sure many can appreciate it but given there are some established lore already I'd say it's doubtful anything like that will be implemented... at least, in the way you've described it around some lore.