Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Autofire and AI  (Read 1112 times)

Hal900x

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Autofire and AI
« on: February 28, 2022, 10:19:59 PM »

Can I get an explanation of AI/Officers using autofiring turrets vs manual and how the AI uses it? For example, with my Scarab I have 4 IR Pulse Lasers and an Ion Cannon. When I fly it, I find setting two IR's to autofire and the rest linked manually works well for me. But for my officer, what's easier for the AI to use without burning too much flux?

Falcon_BR

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Autofire and AI
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2022, 06:29:34 AM »

I am playing this game since "hey hey people" reviewed it, on day one, and this was also confusing to me.
Just registered on this official forum and I am reading the pinned topics, one is just about that.
In short, Ai doesn't care it the weapon is in autoshot or not, if you switch controls to na AI controlled ship, all weapons with autofire will be turned off, just the PD ones will be on autofire.
The ai will shot all groups, even at the same time, if he has enough free flux for that. But the AI will NOT alpha strike!
After reading the pinned threat, now I know that the AI will not fire a group with it costs more them 50% of the available flux pool, so, placing all antimatter blaster on a single group and linked fire, will not work, because there is not enough flux for them to fire it.
So, for AI SHIPS, if one group uses more them 30% of the total flux pool, like a Radiant with 5 tachyon lances (something I did), it is better to split up in 2 or 3 groups those tachyon lances, so it shots alternating.

Hal900x

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2022, 11:23:00 AM »

I am playing this game since "hey hey people" reviewed it, on day one, and this was also confusing to me.
Just registered on this official forum and I am reading the pinned topics, one is just about that.
In short, Ai doesn't care it the weapon is in autoshot or not, if you switch controls to na AI controlled ship, all weapons with autofire will be turned off, just the PD ones will be on autofire.
The ai will shot all groups, even at the same time, if he has enough free flux for that. But the AI will NOT alpha strike!
After reading the pinned threat, now I know that the AI will not fire a group with it costs more them 50% of the available flux pool, so, placing all antimatter blaster on a single group and linked fire, will not work, because there is not enough flux for them to fire it.
So, for AI SHIPS, if one group uses more them 30% of the total flux pool, like a Radiant with 5 tachyon lances (something I did), it is better to split up in 2 or 3 groups those tachyon lances, so it shots alternating.

I really hate when I fail to read pins/search forums. And then a new player makes it abundantly clear lol. Thanks fellow newbie. I'm not entirely sure what "alpha strike" refers to, but I know I'm not going to start a new post to ask :D

Exasperation

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2022, 11:34:45 AM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rush_(video_games)#Alpha_Strike
In this context, it refers to firing all of your weapons at once to attempt to overwhelm the target's defenses.