Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Is there a lore reason for no XIV Mora?  (Read 1859 times)

DirectionsToL3Please

• Commander
    • View Profile
Is there a lore reason for no XIV Mora?
« on: February 20, 2022, 04:58:50 PM »

The description makes it clear it operated at the same time as ships that do have XIV skins.  I don't think the Mora necessarily needs an XIV alternative, but it also seems an obvious omission given the ship description - so I wonder if there's a good reason that I didn't notice.

Drazan

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a lore reason for no XIV Mora?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2022, 03:54:58 AM »

I think the mora was less a militaric vessel and more a private/exploration one. I think the XIV battlegroup didnt have it as main carrier.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2022, 04:36:34 AM »

Yeah if anything there should have been a 14th Drover as those really were made to support the kind of decisive battle gunboat fleets like the 14th.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

DirectionsToL3Please

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2022, 11:08:27 AM »

I think the mora was less a militaric vessel and more a private/exploration one. I think the XIV battlegroup didnt have it as main carrier.
The lore suggests it was used heavily, though, which is the root of the question. Taken right from the in-game lore on the ship page:
Armored to withstand the fury of battle alongside the Onslaught,

That sounds like a pretty main combat vessel.

itBeABruhMoment

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2022, 11:56:30 AM »

Mora XIV production chip got scratched

Shinr

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2022, 11:04:19 AM »

My impression is that the XIV folks primarily preferred Big Guns over carriers, and ideally would've wanted another Onslaught-like ship over the Legion, but circumstances forced them to adopt the battlecarrier.

Kloranthy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2022, 11:14:15 AM »

are you sure you are not thinking of the Venture?

Drazan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2022, 04:32:52 AM »

The lore suggests it was used heavily, though, which is the root of the question. Taken right from the in-game lore on the ship page:
Armored to withstand the fury of battle alongside the Onslaught,

That sounds like a pretty main combat vessel.

Okay you are right, i got a bit mixed up, its definitely a combat vessel. But its not only the XIV battlegroup who used Onslaughts. The most probable explanatin is that the XIV didnt really liked dedicated carriers so they didn't have one.

pairedeciseaux

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2022, 01:10:53 PM »

A must-read: https://fractalsoftworks.com/2016/05/15/developing-the-mora-class-carrier/

So why are these in the field? The Domain navy decommissioned them from military service, so they were de-militarized and sold to budget-minded civilian enterprises in development on the Domain’s frontier, as having some former carriers with big handling/construction bays can be a very useful thing. Once the Collapse comes around, these former construction/mine drone handlers slash ersatz mobile drydocks are re-militarized (thus less useful out-of-combat stats than one might expect). Used perhaps more by pirates, independents, and the Luddic Church more than by the Hegemony or TriTachyon, so that the big carrier fleets of these guys can be supported by something better than Condors but not so good as the Heron or Gemini.