Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: [0.97a] Attuned Drive Field Hullmod  (Read 51970 times)

Rhalen

• Ensign
    • View Profile
[0.97a] Attuned Drive Field Hullmod
« on: February 08, 2022, 09:12:04 AM »

This simple mod adds an hull modification (Attuned Drive Field) that gives +1 Burn speed at half the cost of Augmented Drive Field.
The mod is updated for the following version of Starsector: 0.97a-RC11.

• This mod can be enabled on an existing save, but will cause a crash on the save if disabled.
  • The hullmod is available and unlocked from the start.
  • The hullmod cannot be installed together with Augmented Drive Field, and will occupy a Logistic slot on the ship it is installed on.
  • Mercenary fleets, bounty hunters, etc. have a chance to include this hullmod in their builds.

Thanks a lot for your feedback!

Install instructions:
  • Download the mod from the link above.
  • Right click -> put the main folder into Starsector "mods" folder (default path: C:\Program Files\Starsector\mods).

« Last Edit: March 06, 2024, 12:37:27 AM by Rhalen »

ranprieur

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Attuned Drive Field Hullmod [new mod]
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2022, 10:02:35 AM »

Awesome! I've been wishing for this for a long time.

I like to keep my fleet at burn level 10, which means if I want to use a ship with 9, either it slows my whole fleet down or I have to waste OP points getting it unnecessarily to 11.

Rhalen

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2022, 09:10:12 AM »

Yeah, Oxes may be an alternative but their speed buff does not get multiplied by sustained burn, giving a 9-speed fleet a maximum of 19. I don't even know if that is intended behavior ahah.

In the end I think it is worth it just for the quality of life of not needing an Ox for just one slower ship. The mod still occupies a logistic slot AND it is outrageously expensive for what it does, so it does not feel all that unbalanced.

CapitanIncognito

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2022, 04:17:33 AM »

Yeah, Oxes may be an alternative but their speed buff does not get multiplied by sustained burn, giving a 9-speed fleet a maximum of 19. I don't even know if that is intended behavior ahah.

In the end I think it is worth it just for the quality of life of not needing an Ox for just one slower ship. The mod still occupies a logistic slot AND it is outrageously expensive for what it does, so it does not feel all that unbalanced.

Why not both? I like going at burn 11 with the skill an Ox, and a min base burn level of 9.

But on that same note, how hard is it to make a mod for this game? I was thinking of making a version of the militarized subsystems upgrade that is identical, but doesn't make the ship a combat ship and can only be fitted on cargo ships/tankers/transports/etc. Given that I think it's hard to modify the skills that get nerfed when you go over 240 points of combat ships, it really hurts having that Atlas eat a chunk of them especially if it's never getting deployed in combat for any reason.

Rhalen

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2022, 09:02:56 AM »

Adding an hullmod ends up being pretty simple really, it sure helps if you dabbled with any type of programming in the past.
For what you want to do you will need to install Intellij Idea Community in order to look inside the .class files of the starfarer.api.jar archive.
This archive is located inside Starsector/starsector-core.

Inside starfarer.api.jar, search for MilitarizedSubsystems.class under com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.hullmods; this is the java file that controls the behaviour of that hullmod.

Other files that you may want to look at are uncompiled and are under Starsector\starsector-core\data\hullmods: CivGrade.java (which is for the Civilian Grade hullmod) and hull_mods.csv (which is a table that sets other campaign-level data, like the price of the hullmod, its OP cost and rarity, its description etc.)

Maybe start from there and see what you can glean from them!
Open a thread on the forum under Modding for your mod so more people can help. Have fun!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2022, 09:09:41 AM by Rhalen »

mlight9

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2022, 08:30:04 PM »

Just what i need.

Killsode

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2022, 10:22:49 PM »

i always get the tech-skill that increases burn by one, i swear i spend the majority of my story points on building in augmented drive field on cruisers and capitals XD

IceFire

• Lieutenant
  • If you find typos, keep them.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2022, 07:05:28 AM »

What do i have to do to make this hull mod discoverable. I do not want to have it imideatly. I have made a change in that on exel file in mod data but it seems that this didnt do the trick.

Zr0Potential

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2022, 05:19:37 PM »

What do i have to do to make this hull mod discoverable. I do not want to have it imideatly. I have made a change in that on exel file in mod data but it seems that this didnt do the trick.

Remove "TRUE" from unlocked

Raif Redacted

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2022, 07:07:31 PM »

This seems like a good option to have available for free (as you have it), but the only thing I would argue/suggest is the cost shouldn't be exactly half. When balancing concepts to provide something less or greater than what is already available, it's usually best practice to not just halve or double costs, but use something closer to 30% difference from lowest to highest. So if 6/12/24/48 is the 2-pt cost, the 1-pt would be balanced at 4/8/16/32. Simple enough for me to make the change after download, though, so thanks for the mod!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2022, 07:41:05 PM by Raif Redacted »

Szasz

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2023, 05:25:35 PM »

Could have a S-mod bonus. Like reduced fuel usage.

hidefreek

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2024, 02:20:53 AM »

Could have a S-mod bonus. Like reduced fuel usage.
I agree.
Currently, they can no longer stack.

Bungee_man

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.97a] Attuned Drive Field Hullmod
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2024, 02:49:31 AM »

Do other fleets use this hullmod randomly, or only when it'd increase max burn?

For example, if I've got an Onslaught, a Conquest, and a Wolf in a mercenary fleet, will it only have a chance of showing up on the Onslaught?