Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Transformer hulls  (Read 2739 times)

frag971

• Commander
    • View Profile
Transformer hulls
« on: April 28, 2012, 12:05:21 PM »

Call it what you like, but basicly it would be hulls that look sleek but when it's ready to fire missiles a hatch opens up and an array of missiles comes out. Or the guns are docked inside the ship itself so they don't take damage. Or hulls that have two modes of operation - one for speed with shields disabled and weapons docked inside and another that enables shields and deploys weapons but less speed.

Perhaps just go powerrangers on it and have ships that can dock into eachother for a bigger ship, such as two frigates forming a cruiser?

I know this isn't gonna be done any time soon but hey, one of those "wouldn't it be cool?" ideas. :)
Let's say I'm captaining the ISS Slightly Lopsided Isosceles Triangle here.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
Re: Transformer hulls
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 01:37:06 PM »

Yes. This +2 ;)

armoredcookie

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 01:57:06 PM »

Yeah I'd like to be able to sacrifice some firepower to get into the heat of the battle a lot faster :)

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 05:33:52 PM »

Perhaps just go powerrangers on it and have ships that can dock into eachother for a bigger ship, such as two frigates forming a cruiser?
That would be hilarious to see, but I don't think I would want that for the game.

However a new kind of hard point that can open and close is a cool idea.
Could be done on automatic, it opens when you want to fire it giving you a little longer upfront load time on weapon use, some weapons already work that way anyway, and when its done it closes again.

It doesn't have to affect speed in anyway though, we already get a no-flux boost to speed.

Only question is, is it actually useful in battle? Mostly I would guess not, but it might be for missile systems on ships like the onslaught who need to slug it out, keeps those weapons safe until it's time to use them. So maybe?

Deathven

• Commander
  • "Contigo ergo sum" - Descartes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 04:06:24 PM »

Interesting idea. I agree with Vandala on most of his points.  By the way, I literally laughed when I saw the power rangers comment.  :D

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 09:27:26 PM »

The thing is that we already have things like hard-points being more resistant to damage, modifications like auto-repair and armored weapon turrets.

Plus I don't know how armor is involved in this but I bet having lots of it helps as well.

So I don't know if this would really add all that much to the game.

WKOB

• Admiral
  • Odobenidine Benefactor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 11:56:04 PM »

Rule of Cool. I support this.

It doesn't have to be very advanced.

hydremajor

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 12:41:29 AM »

....Why not bring up broadside ships turning into "frontside" ships ?

evil713

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 05:16:41 AM »

this topic has come up before, the majority of the issue revolved around 2 topics. 1: there is no hull animation right now/ drawing two hulls for one ship. 2:actually aggreeing on the science of how transformation of a hull causes it to be stronger, faster, or have more firepower.