Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I have a friend who is confused about the story point system  (Read 913 times)

lizard

• Ensign
    • View Profile
I have a friend who is confused about the story point system
« on: February 06, 2022, 02:07:33 AM »

He had the following to say about the story point system ???

As a game of science fiction generation, even if it does not necessarily require an explanation of the realistic principles of the ship, but should ensure that the basis of a reasonable scope, and for example, story points, although I do not oppose the creation of special opportunities to give players a unique experience, but the opportunity to build without reason in my opinion as the game plot collapse, if you want to highlight the player's distinctive I suggest a special story point mode, in my opinion, the player and Thousands of AIs are generally struggling with the river of stars

At the same time, he said the new version of the ship is very unbalanced

My friend doesn't have an account, but he wants to know the answer, so I've come to post for him.
I hope you can help my friends to answer their questions :D

Nimiety

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: I have a friend who is confused about the story point system
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2022, 02:42:49 AM »

What language was that google translated from?

If your friend doesn't want to use story points on ships he can save them and spend them on colonies, officers, skills, quests, free retreats from battle etc. I personally think S-Mods on ships makes the hull restoration skill too mandatory.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2022, 03:46:04 AM »

The game is balanced around ships having story point built-in hullmods, so hard fights might get really hard for you, if you refrain from using story points entirely.

IMustRegroupMyForces

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2022, 05:18:05 AM »

Stop using google to translate Klingon into English,find google's server and apologize to it(maybe she?XD)

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2022, 06:24:43 AM »

Stop using google to translate Klingon into English,find google's server and apologize to it(maybe she?XD)

Hey. It's not necessary to give people a hard time for not knowing English. Even if you intended for your comment to be a joke, it is can be read as hostile, especially to someone posting for the first time. Please be mindful of how your tone appears to an outside observer - especially as this is only your _second_ post.

BobExplains

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2022, 10:07:43 PM »

I don't think that storypoints making ships better than their Ordinance Points total is unrealistic in any context, whether sci-fi or real life.

Lets say if you take an ordinary sized apartment or house and work out the ratio of square meters per person it might come out to a figure between 20 and 50.

Now there are plenty of stories and Youtube videos out there of clever architects and determined "tiny housers" out there who can manage to fit a very nice looking home into a very modest space by having folding and sliding components, finding ways to make a single element perform multiple tasks etc. but it takes a lot of extra effort to make that possible and it takes the occupants a bit of adaptation in their daily routine to accommodate the unusual design features.

Now how does this relate to ships? Well Ordinance Points are already an abstraction anyway, they don't represent weight or power consumption or size or anything else specific. If we are to describe them we might think of them just as a measure of how many features can be added to a hull and still be effectively maintained and operated by the crew and without interfering with other systems or equipment etc.

If that's the case, I think it stands to reason that if there is an extremely talented engineer/technologist/commander amongst the fleet then it might be possible for them to dedicate extra time in leading a project to specially modify a ship to work better than designed or include multiple major features using some sort of clever design solution and careful implementation. Think of the difference between an ordinary passenger car compared to a Formula One car. The Formula One car has a highly trained team looking after it to make sure all of the special features are working correctly and engineers etc. checking every aspect to ensure the best efficiency, air-flow etc.
The extra "Formula One" style effort to make a particular ship special is represented by the investment of a Story Point.

In some ways this is no different than spending a SP to restore an otherwise unusable ship during salvage.

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2022, 02:10:12 AM »

Because it's science "fiction" and not just science, because it's an experience and not just hard facts. Story points is the players ability to creatively solve problems and the points themselves are a limiter on how much of that they can do.

Story points are the moment in the TV show/movie where the main character gets a great idea, something games have a hard time adding and a worse time controlling. This added those moments/abilities to the player with a control system in place to limit how much of it they can get away with.

Your friend is nitpicking minor details.