Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: badly modded help chats  (Read 1049 times)

geminitiger

• Commander
    • View Profile
badly modded help chats
« on: February 06, 2022, 01:21:53 AM »

Anyone who is playing Starsector longer than a month is probably doing so because of the work of modders, so thanks for that, but..

My mod list is sitting at about 30, so I really have no idea what mod is responsible for this but I'm a little triggered by the help chats, I'm thinking it's not just one mod responsible either because basically I'm always getting some nonsense.

"You should read ___________"
"Learn to use your fists don't trust the police to help you"
"Don't pay your phone bill"
"Sell all your blueprints to black markets (insert long *** reason here,paraphrased)"
"Google Murray Bookchin"
(I did, he's an Jewish American anarcho-communist from the last century.. yawn, don't care)

I would really like to know where these help things are located in a mod so I could strip them out, and would like to see mods like "what mod is it" identify where a help tip comes from to make the process of identification easier.

Finally I'm guessing most mods don't insert rubbish into the tool tips and I appreciate that very much, because there is actually some stuff to learn there.

Those modders who feel necessary to push your politics or agendas into games, please be kind enough to include a warning in the description of your mod.  ;)

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: badly modded help chats
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2022, 01:25:43 AM »

Tips files are located in <mod directory>\data\string directory, called "tips.json".
The second tip is wrong, anyway. You get a gun instead.

geminitiger

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2022, 01:41:33 AM »

Tips files are located in <mod directory>\data\string directory, called "tips.json".
The second tip is wrong, anyway. You get a gun instead.

Thanks.

Psycho Landlord

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2022, 08:21:44 PM »

The same mod that adds the tips also has a tip telling you how to remove modded tips

Its much funnier when people immediately shut down the game and come whine on the forums about their worldview being challenged in any way though

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2022, 06:59:19 AM »

The funniest part is that he made this post in the guilty mod's thread.

(We also have the option to reduce the frequency of individual tips now. Much better for memes.)