Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Is it better to mix fighter types per carrier or instead specialize?  (Read 2402 times)

hqz

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

I have 2 carriers in my fleet at the moment (Heron and Legion). They both have one bomber squad and the rest is normal fighters. I am wondering if I should instead have one carrier specialized in bombers and the other one in support.

For example, the Heron has almost no useful weapons so I could use the OP on more expensive bombers.

I'm curious if carrier experts could share their thoughts.  :)

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Is it better to mix fighter types per carrier or instead specialize?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2022, 03:05:15 PM »

Blog post here

In theory they should teamwork to allow for higher chance of delivering bomber ordnance.

In reality tho, you can use frigates as distractions for pure bombers sending in more ordnance to simply oversaturate the AA and have better results.

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2022, 03:36:33 PM »

It depends on the bombers and it depends on the number of carriers you have.

I tend to like at least one set of either longbows or broadswords on a ship that is bombing. (Or at least did a few versions ago)

If you have two carriers then I think it’s best to specialize. This way you can tell the bomber to strike and the fighter ship to strike for different purposes each.

If you have one carrier I think it’s best to mix so you can just set them on ships.

Currently my carriers aren’t running bombers at all though (two herons, each with a warthog, a broadsword, and a claw, though the claw may go) because I don’t really need bombers due to a large amount of strike missiles on my griffon(and also because 170 speed warthogs are decent and also because the extra HE keeps Shields up)

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2022, 04:51:54 PM »

Its usually better to specialize (between the category of bombers, heavy fighter, and interceptor) and to roughly match the speed of fighters on a carrier (since they travel in formation at the speed of the slowest fighter). There are some exception though: broadswords are the biggest one in that they make good 'strike leaders' with their kinetic firepower helping to get through shields and their flares distracting PD so that the bombs/missiles/torpedoes can get through. The speed matching also is not a hard and fast rule, just something to keep in mind - pairing a warthog and a thunder would be moderately wasting the thunder, for example. Inside a given category its often best to mix types so that they can combine strengths: putting a gladius and a claw together as an interceptor pair to get both kinetic and ion for example, or broadsword + warthog, or longbow + dagger.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 04:53:25 PM by Thaago »

hqz

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2022, 06:45:17 PM »

Thanks for the info and the link to the blog post. This is very helpful.

Ok so I guess I will try 3x bombers on my Heron and then 4x broadswords on my Legion. We'll see how it goes.

Kanjejou

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2022, 08:30:26 PM »

It also depend what you want from your bombers:
-devastating strike: any torpedo bomber, always good but also the most costly to use, also inneffectiv most of the time vs frigate and destroyer they wioll just dodge the torpedo
-massiv disruption and chaos: Pyranha or Flash, with their slow and numerosu projectiles they make AI panic a lot and can be deadly to slow targets
-reliable damages: kopesh, trident or dagger, kopesh use fast rocket volley and the  two other guided torpedo so they almsot always hit the target but they dont hit that hard. very good against destroyer and cruiser, but lack number and punching power to pass throught capital PD screen and too slaow to hit frigate at all...

Salter

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2022, 09:46:02 PM »

Ive enjoyed mixing interceptor's with bomber wings. Talon Interceptors mixed with anything is always a good choice at most stages of the game except endgame, though they have a habit of getting chewed up by PD, explosives and so on. Leads to alot of dead crew (Unless you dont care about the casualties and ethics of losing all those people) but they get some pretty good options having missiles and kinetic weapons on the same ship. There are some fire support options, which is great if you need to fill in the line or support a larger ship but cant afford the DP to send frigates or destroyers.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 09:52:00 PM by Salter »