Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Wobbling Player AI  (Read 1746 times)

Supraluminal

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Wobbling Player AI
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2022, 09:11:49 PM »

I've seen the wobbling with Dominators, though in my case it's the opposite shield situation: It wobbles under heavy fire with regular shields once it's fluxed out and has to take armor/hull hits. If I add Shield Shunt it will tank the incoming fire, remain steady, and fire back properly. Same basic loadout in both cases, with the main difference being hullmods.

Sometime I'll have to try removing some rear-facing weapons, although it has a full complement (big guns and PD) in the front and only PD in the sides/rear. Maybe it's trying to bring more PD to bear - it does have small mounts on the sides with a traverse that stops facing exactly parallel to the ship's facing, so wobbling a bit would give it the angle to hit missiles coming in from the front. Or, maybe AI indecisiveness about weapons and attempts to hide damaged hull can both cause this behavior.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2022, 11:31:46 PM »

I discovered a pretty game breaking bug with Shieldless Frigates running SO wherein they will not get close enough to targets to kill them.

When you kill a ship you need to be outside it's death explosion. For short-ranged frigate vs some capitals this may require very specific maneuvers:

Fire guns while already one escape trajectory from enemy, so that you are only at safe distance by the time shots hit, not when they were fired. And this must be done at specific angle relative to enemy - for example, front or rear of Conquest, never it's sides (because death explosion is circle, while Conquest's hull is not and front/rear stick out the most).

AI is only aware of problem of death explosions, not the above solution, so it simply doesn't fire.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2022, 11:33:17 PM by TaLaR »

Supraluminal

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2022, 07:07:05 AM »

I don't really care for the death explosions anyway, myself. I'd just as soon see them removed. The occasional fun chain reaction or whatever you get out of them doesn't feel worth the annoyances they cause. They also feel goofy to me from a realism/immersion perspective, but that's a matter of personal preference.

Gergin

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2022, 07:12:06 AM »

I discovered a pretty game breaking bug with Shieldless Frigates running SO wherein they will not get close enough to targets to kill them.

When you kill a ship you need to be outside it's death explosion. For short-ranged frigate vs some capitals this may require very specific maneuvers:

Fire guns while already one escape trajectory from enemy, so that you are only at safe distance by the time shots hit, not when they were fired. And this must be done at specific angle relative to enemy - for example, front or rear of Conquest, never it's sides (because death explosion is circle, while Conquest's hull is not and front/rear stick out the most).

AI is only aware of problem of death explosions, not the above solution, so it simply doesn't fire.
Understandable but the problem manifests regardless of the size of your target.  Your ships will disengage from frigates at low health too.  Alex already put some fixes in for this particular problem so I'd be curious to see if it addresses the behavior for the Onslaught as well.  Have to wait for the next release and test it.

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2022, 02:59:09 PM »

I think my issue is specific to Hellbore cannons and perhaps other weapons.

But I can say I've seen the issues with shieldless ships acting strange, specifically the Cerberus.
Pages: 1 [2]