Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Planet Search Overhaul (07/13/24)

Author Topic: Officer portraits and the matching bithday problem  (Read 725 times)

Dash_Riprock

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Officer portraits and the matching bithday problem
« on: January 31, 2022, 05:24:17 PM »

Hi, super minor complaint here but also hopefully very easy to fix.

So a fun unintuitive probability fact is that if you have 25 people in a room, there is a >50% chance that at least two of them have the same birthday.

In Starsector, even though there are 100 portraits, by the time you have 10 officers, there is a 37% chance that two of them are clones. With 15 officers (not uncommon late game with mercs), there is a 67% chance of at least one pair of clones, and a 26% chance of more than one pair of clones.

It's a stupid thing, but a bit immersion breaking. It would be cool if potential hires were always chosen to not be duplicates.

Haresus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Officer portraits and the matching bithday problem
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2022, 06:48:28 PM »

Yes please. Duplicate portraits makes it harder to identify my officers and to care about them, which is a real shame.

If for whatever reason forbidding duplicates isn't viable or wanted, then a "customise officers" option to change the portrait and name of our officers would be great.

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2022, 12:12:36 AM »

That's just real life. The same rules of probability also apply to genetic expression. You *will* have (visually) identical twins out there.

Euqocelbbog

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2022, 07:53:22 AM »

I think it'd be a good change. As is if I find an officer with an identical portrait to one I've already got I won't even consider them. One game I even had two of the rare super officers that were identical which was really annoying.

Great Wound

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2022, 08:19:25 AM »

Annoying yes, but I've always hand waved it that a large amount of the sectors population are clones grown in tubes. It's one of the reasons harvested organs are so proliferate.

float

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2022, 09:39:18 AM »

The game already does this (or at least, is trying to). The way it works is: when an officer is to be generated, its portrait is generated randomly from a list of portraits. This list initially includes all portraits, but the player portrait and the portraits of all officers already in your fleet are removed from this list before selection. If the pruned list is empty (you somehow have officers with every portrait), then the picker falls back to choosing randomly from the initial list with all portraits.