Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Warn if some but not all your ships were selected for recovery.  (Read 535 times)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Warn if some but not all your ships were selected for recovery.
« on: January 22, 2022, 06:25:24 AM »

If I select some but not all of my ships I lost in battle to recover, it does not stop to warn and confirm before salvage.

Three ships die in one battle, two were valuable high-tech ships that are in my fleet in all times.  A third ship was an Enforcer I picked up and armed with loot from a recent battle.  I selected my two high-tech ships, but left the Enforcer to rot (because it already had d-mods).  It proceeded to salvage without warning, which was okay this time.  But I can see losing a ship if player is not careful or alert enough.

Without the prompt, it can be easy enough to miss ships, especially if some end up in difficult recovery while others do not.  I might have lost a Gryphon this way (and I cannot remember if it had s-mods on it).  After that combat, I lost about half of my fleet and recovered an enemy Paragon and all of my ships... except a Gryphon that somehow slipped through the cracks.  I do not remember if the Gryphon ended up in difficult recovery or if was one of the rare cases of not being recoverable at all (it was unofficered, but I had Hull Restoration) despite near guaranteed recovery.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 06:28:37 AM by Megas »

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
Re: Warn if some but not all your ships were selected for recovery.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2022, 08:50:15 AM »

I'm of the opinion that the "recover all" option should be replaced by "recover losses" that automatically gets your ships back. How many times do you really want to salvage all ships vs how often do your want yours back?

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2022, 11:39:46 AM »

I'm of the opinion that the "recover all" option should be replaced by "recover losses" that automatically gets your ships back. How many times do you really want to salvage all ships vs how often do your want yours back?
The only time I would think about recover all is if there are two or three ships to recover, and they are all desirable, which is rare.  If it was only one ship, I just click the ship.  Most of the time, there is a lot of junk I would just scuttle for loot.  Now maybe someone with both Field Repairs and Derelict Contingent might get off recovering everything since the vast majority of ships dropped by the enemy are loaded with d-mods, and player can get rid of them whenever he pleases.  (I would not do it because I do not want to play with clunkers.)

The time I lost the Gryphon, I wanted to recover the enemy's Paragon, and all of my casualties which was about half of my fleet.

In my last fight, I wanted to recover two out of three of my ships.  Two were permanent members I did not want to lose, but the third was an expendable unit recovered from the previous fight and died like fodder instead of my usual ships.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2022, 01:29:51 PM »

Recovering ships en masse is never an option. Even if I want to recover many enemy ships, some of them are going to be too broken down to be worth it and others might simply not be desirable anyway, since I have already ships for their role. "Recover losses" button would be way more useful, because ships you had in your fleet conveniently also happen to be ships that you want (since you wouldn't be keeping them in your fleet otherwise).
Besides that, it would be nice to have a warning, whether you enter the recovery screen or not, that there are unrecovered lost ships.

Hatter

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2022, 05:08:30 PM »

Maybe have your losses marked automatically selected for recovery instead of needing to be clicked ?