Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Multiplayer when?  (Read 9180 times)

BlueTricity

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Multiplayer when?
« on: January 22, 2022, 02:18:43 AM »

Can some talented modders get together already and make multiplayer. It would be so so much fun if we could play multiplayer in Starsector.

Just recently another single-player game I have been playing called Dyson Sphere Program got a mod for it done by some crazy talented modder(s) that added multiplayer which is pretty cool, was hoping something like that could happen for Starsector since we already have such a focus on mods. To anyone who might say that it might be technically impossible, I don't believe that as it was considered technically impossible for DSP to ever get multiplayer yet it did.

canned Tomatoes

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Multiplayer when?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2022, 02:32:53 AM »

BlueTricity

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2022, 03:38:25 AM »

Five years ago.
https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=11598.0

That's co-op, the multiplayer I mean is where people are actually using separate fleets as separate players.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2022, 04:13:04 AM »

This again. The engine fundamentally doesn't supports multiplayer on a technical level. Additionally the gameplay doesn't either (separate combat/campaign layers, altered time flow, open to exploits like jumping fleets that are getting mauled by AI fleets, etc). Multi-player would have to be a different game with a different engine for it to be possible.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2022, 12:52:27 PM »

If you’re willing and able to pay for the time and labor, I’m sure you could find someone who’d enjoy that doomed undertaking. But it’s unlikely anybody wants to rewrite half the game just for fun.

Multiplayer is something that needs to be planned from the start of a project; it’s not a simple add-on - and anybody capable of doing this would be better served by making their own separate game and charging money for it, not rewriting someone else’s game from the ground up for free.

BlueTricity

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2022, 01:46:32 PM »

If you’re willing and able to pay for the time and labor, I’m sure you could find someone who’d enjoy that doomed undertaking. But it’s unlikely anybody wants to rewrite half the game just for fun.

Multiplayer is something that needs to be planned from the start of a project; it’s not a simple add-on - and anybody capable of doing this would be better served by making their own separate game and charging money for it, not rewriting someone else’s game from the ground up for free.

This again. The engine fundamentally doesn't supports multiplayer on a technical level. Additionally the gameplay doesn't either (separate combat/campaign layers, altered time flow, open to exploits like jumping fleets that are getting mauled by AI fleets, etc). Multi-player would have to be a different game with a different engine for it to be possible.

To anyone who might say that it might be technically impossible, I don't believe that as it was considered technically impossible for DSP to ever get multiplayer yet it did.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2022, 02:45:06 PM »

DSP is made in Unity, a game engine that very much supports multiplayer.

I've been modding this game for 7 years now, I believe it can't be done with the custom engine this game uses for very simple reasons (like non deterministic randomization, or aforementioned multiple gameplay layers and altered time flow mechanics). But hey, what do I know... However people smarter than me said so, and Alex himself said so too.

The closest to multiplayer you'll ever get is the coop mod, where under the hood you have a second player sharing your keyboard that can use shortcuts to order the AI of a second a ship to "turn left" "accelerate forward" or "fire your weapons". That's as close to multiplayer you'll get.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 02:54:21 PM by Tartiflette »

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2022, 03:07:56 PM »

To anyone who might say that it might be technically impossible, I don't believe that as it was considered technically impossible for DSP to ever get multiplayer yet it did.
Yeah... no
[close]
Your inability to understand why something is difficult doesn't make that thing magically less difficult, a good idea, or practical. Sorry! Reality is unforgiving, we're just the messengers.

Voyager I

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2022, 03:43:21 PM »

Just to be clear, you're asking people to essentially rebuild the game for free while offering no contributions of any type yourself, and then trying to brush off anybody with any technical expertise who tries to tell you why this is unlikely to happen?

BlueTricity

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2022, 05:07:37 PM »

I understand now. Thanks for the explanations everyone.

Hopefully in the future someone will make a heavily Starsector inspired game that includes multiplayer, or is at least on an engine that supports it so it can be modded in.