Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Interdiction Pulse from small fleet affecting large fleet  (Read 967 times)

Nameless

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Interdiction Pulse from small fleet affecting large fleet
« on: March 25, 2022, 10:07:55 AM »

So many times I have my full 30 ships fleet getting interdicted by a fleet with 2 or 3 ships just because I happen to be around seems kind of weird.

Timid

• Admiral
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: Interdiction Pulse from small fleet affecting large fleet
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2022, 04:34:48 PM »

afaik high signal strength helps ignore interdiction pulse.

Candesce

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2022, 05:15:30 PM »

Eeeh...

A fleet running 5x+ capitals only has 600 sensor strength over a fleet with only frigates. That's enough to halve the effects of the pulse, not eliminate it. Taking the Sensors skill only gets you another second knocked off - and that's, again, with a really big fleet versus a tiny one.

Firing off a sensor ping shortly before the pulse goes off gets you ~3k more sensor strength, which will negate just about any pulse ... at the cost of slowing you down for the duration of the ping.

I'm not really sure Interdiction Pulse is working as intended; even when I'm hunting fleets that will run away, I'd rather not use it, and I don't generally find hostile fleets using it terribly threatening, either - not when it slows them down enough I'm generally out of the radius when it goes off. I just regularly get smacked by Luddic Path raiders aiming at someone else - and generally missing their target, too, 'cause NPC merchants do run away.

Kakroom

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2022, 05:28:04 PM »

I suddenly have a reason to increase signal strength

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2022, 07:17:23 AM »

Interdiction Pulse is somewhat useful for...
* Making the orbiting ghost (that pings you) in hyperspace disappear.  (The most important use.)
* Try to break up Ordos clumps.  (Even if they do not use burn, they still try to avoid getting pinged at times.)
* Try to get some annoying fleet to back off.

It is generally not useful to catch a fleet you want to kill.  It is a glorified bug repellant in practice.