Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Shield locking  (Read 11738 times)

Mattk50

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Shield locking
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2012, 10:31:43 PM »

since the shield can only really move in two different directions, you only need two buttons. its feasible to use Q and E, other games often use them for "roll" so they are usable in tandem with wasd.

Catra

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2012, 11:01:00 PM »

since omni shields can be raised at any degree on the ship, it be quicker to just drop shield and reraise shield where it is needed, than waiting for the shield to rotate into position, plus you lose aton of maneuvering capability having to hold down Q or E rather than just pressing a button.

cp252

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2012, 02:38:50 AM »

How about using shift-rightclick to leave shields on 'autofire'? I personally think my ship captains handle the shield better than I do, especially in a messy firefight.

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2012, 06:51:17 AM »

How about using shift-rightclick to leave shields on 'autofire'? I personally think my ship captains handle the shield better than I do, especially in a messy firefight.
I don't...
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

hydremajor

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2012, 07:44:29 AM »

Why not simply a hull mod that automatically turns on and off your shields to intercept the closest projectile ?

The drawback being that the A.I. will have full control of your shields and you wouldn't be able to manually turn on or off your shields, only able of turning on or off the automated emergency shielding....

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2012, 09:03:12 AM »

I would not mind an AI feature, but would never ever use it. Imo shield management/flux venting is pretty much the most complicated and important system to control in battle and the AI currently does about a medium job on it. From the update notes is looks like it is going to be better though. I pretty much always put all guns on autofire and just control shields/missiles/active AF groups.

cp252

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2012, 06:29:28 PM »

The point of letting you turn auto on for your shields is so you have the option if you're unskilled like me.

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2012, 06:31:26 PM »

auto-shields, like auto-fire, could be an interesting idea.

harperrb

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2012, 09:21:19 PM »

both could be interesting in a campaign setting. i'd love to have a campaign start the player out as a ship officer in control of only 1 vital system on a ship; shields, piloting, or weapons - where the rest are AI'd. As the player got promoted, he'd have to decide to wield more control over the ship he's used (pilot and weapons, etc) or transfer to a new/more powerful/larger ship but be relegated to his specialty, until another promotion, etc.

Yes. this is a hijack. Money in the bags.

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2012, 10:57:41 PM »

Now that is an excellent idea. With a simple button toggle hopefully.

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2012, 11:50:33 PM »

both could be interesting in a campaign setting. i'd love to have a campaign start the player out as a ship officer in control of only 1 vital system on a ship; shields, piloting, or weapons - where the rest are AI'd. As the player got promoted, he'd have to decide to wield more control over the ship he's used (pilot and weapons, etc) or transfer to a new/more powerful/larger ship but be relegated to his specialty, until another promotion, etc.

That could be an awesome inside-the-story tutorial.

frag971

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2012, 08:01:03 AM »

You know... I have a razer naga... Perhaps you could cater to me personally let me able to set the shield vector by pressing the NumPad keys. Relative to the ship 8 would be "turn shields forward", 4 would be port side and 3 would be the engines at starboard side. 5 would switch between mouse and NumPad.
 Like this

7---8---9
|---^^-|
4--SHIP-6
|--VWV-|
1---2---3 <-- 1337 ascii skillz
Let's say I'm captaining the ISS Slightly Lopsided Isosceles Triangle here.

WKOB

• Admiral
  • Odobenidine Benefactor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2012, 08:12:03 AM »

Quote from: harperrb
Want for every time you start a campaign? Not really.

Want for tutorial? Quite so.

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2012, 08:37:17 AM »

Quote from: harperrb
Want for every time you start a campaign? Not really.

Want for tutorial? Quite so.

Yeah it would be nice *every* time I start a campaign. Because the length of a campaign won't be 2 hours as it is right now.

WKOB

• Admiral
  • Odobenidine Benefactor
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2012, 08:44:39 AM »

It will if we don't get better starting ships.  :D

Not but seriously, that'd be irritating.
Pages: 1 [2] 3