Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Poll

Would you like to see...

more frigates
- 6 (4.7%)
more destroyers
- 10 (7.8%)
more cruisers
- 40 (31%)
more weapons
- 43 (33.3%)
more lore/ information
- 17 (13.2%)
more portraits
- 7 (5.4%)
more little stuff, custom names etc.
- 6 (4.7%)

Total Members Voted: 128

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 37

Author Topic: Antediluvians - Under Development - (Dev15)  (Read 234508 times)

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
Re: Antediluvians - Under Development - (Dev11)
« Reply #270 on: May 18, 2012, 01:35:39 PM »

First to post a screenshot of the surprise gets an Atlantean algae cookie!  ;D

Eeehh......

No thanks :-\

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: May 18, 2012, 01:52:01 PM »

They're absolutely delish!

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: May 18, 2012, 02:39:06 PM »

You have shooting shipwreck :P
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

Agalyon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: May 18, 2012, 11:01:27 PM »

It wouldn't happen to be THIS secret, would it?

Agalyon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: May 18, 2012, 11:05:33 PM »

In return, you should tell me if its capture-able  ;)

vorpal+5

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: May 18, 2012, 11:08:57 PM »

Hey!

I have played some of the missions, and the super starbase don't feel totally right, the 8 unguided torpedoes, 4 on each side, fire simultaneously, is it ok?

Also, I find the ships not that powerful or even well designed, I mean from a 'tactical standpoint'. I'm not saying you did a bad job, this can be on purpose, because the Antediluvians are not master engineers, perhaps  ;D

How about giving them more torpedoes, I see you reference submarines in the texts. This would make sense no? Something along the lines of old submarines, like in Jules Vernes, with the Nautilus? Or references to the first submarines invented by mankind, like the one done by the Confederate during the Civil War, who sunk a Federal ship (CSS Hunley was her name, and she was a crappy thing with a single detonation munition)?

Anyway, I really like their look, it feels lovely ancient, obsolete and secret, in  a way, as if these people never had contacts with others civilisations.  Congrats!.

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: May 19, 2012, 03:05:51 AM »

It wouldn't happen to be THIS secret, would it?

8) congrats sir! Though that's not all there is.

In return, you should tell me if its capture-able  ;)
Yes, it is capture-able! But considering its spawn rate, it will be difficult to obtain.

Hey!

I have played some of the missions, and the super starbase don't feel totally right, the 8 unguided torpedoes, 4 on each side, fire simultaneously, is it ok?

Also, I find the ships not that powerful or even well designed, I mean from a 'tactical standpoint'. I'm not saying you did a bad job, this can be on purpose, because the Antediluvians are not master engineers, perhaps  ;D

How about giving them more torpedoes, I see you reference submarines in the texts. This would make sense no? Something along the lines of old submarines, like in Jules Vernes, with the Nautilus? Or references to the first submarines invented by mankind, like the one done by the Confederate during the Civil War, who sunk a Federal ship (CSS Hunley was her name, and she was a crappy thing with a single detonation munition)?

Anyway, I really like their look, it feels lovely ancient, obsolete and secret, in  a way, as if these people never had contacts with others civilisations.  Congrats!.
8 unguided torpedoes on each side? Waidaminute! Are you playing Dev version 11? Because the one with launchers on each side is from an old version. I changed that almost immediatly because it wasn't very handy. Do your ships have Antediluvian (green, like in the picture above) weapons? I've also added a lot more torpedo launchers to ships, except for maybe the frigates (only 3 frigates have torpedoes).

It may take some getting used to the ship's designs for them to be used in a powerful way. Make sure you use the speed to your advantage. Staying in a group is also important, because these ships fall easily if they're going solo. Swarming tactics always work. Also, most ships have a first weapons group made up of basic pressure turrets, that have faster turning rate than other turrets, making them excellent PD weapons. I always put that group on autofire, so that strikecraft and missiles are quickly taken care of, once I point the conserning broadside toward the incoming ships/ missiles. The second group is usually your basic broadside, best used at closer range, made up of more advanced pressure turrets like the dual or extended variants. The third group is usually a sonic turret or two, meant for ranged combat or quickly overloading an enemies flux. Handy if you need to keep your distance. The fourth group are torpedo launchers. There's your basic launcher, and the advanced one, with faster torpedo and higher damage. A great weapon to initially damage a ship after its shields are down, or to finish a ship off. Ammo is very limited, so you should make every torpedo count. From a design standpoint, most torpedo slots fire forward with a 90 degrees arc.

I'm glad that you like the look of the ships! Make sure you have the latest version (the mod collections currently don't have the latest, but they will eventually).

vorpal+5

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: May 19, 2012, 03:23:05 AM »

Ah yes, I discovered them in Uomoz mod, and played some missions too within the mod. I need to work them more it seems, thinking 'broadside' and groups.
Now a broadside made of unguided torpedoes would feel very 'sail ships of old pounding on each others' :)

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: May 19, 2012, 03:26:30 AM »

Ah yes, I discovered them in Uomoz mod, and played some missions too within the mod. I need to work them more it seems, thinking 'broadside' and groups.
Now a broadside made of unguided torpedoes would feel very 'sail ships of old pounding on each others' :)

I agree  :) ...I'm thinking about creating a torpedo cruiser and torpedo destroyer, much like I've already done a torpedo frigate:

Look! It has a torpedo broadside! (the open grey spots on the right side of the hull)

DNAz

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: May 19, 2012, 04:16:26 AM »

I agree  :) ...I'm thinking about creating a torpedo cruiser and torpedo destroyer, much like I've already done a torpedo frigate:

Look! It has a torpedo broadside! (the open grey spots on the right side of the hull)
WW-2 style PT/or destroyers would be awesome!

Agalyon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: May 21, 2012, 01:55:12 AM »

Ahhhh yes, I see the other stuff. Very very nice, I LOVE the idea. You should make them have excessive health and armor.

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: May 21, 2012, 08:27:09 AM »

Ahhhh yes, I see the other stuff. Very very nice, I LOVE the idea. You should make them have excessive health and armor.

I think I will increase both health and armor a little. Keep in mind that they count as frigates though, and shouldn't be overly powerful. They're just there to add atmosphere and to support the thing that's posted a few posts earlier.  ;)

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: May 26, 2012, 01:59:05 PM »

I'll have a go at making custom hull modifications, see if that works. I'll also update some of the descriptions, there's a few missing.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: May 26, 2012, 02:00:00 PM »

I'll have a go at making custom hull modifications, see if that works. I'll also update some of the descriptions, there's a few missing.

Creating own hullmods isn't that hard, if you know how to :)

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: May 26, 2012, 02:05:02 PM »

I took a peek. Looks like a cakewalk.  :)

Also, beware the graveyards.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 37