Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Mod to remove DP limits  (Read 7247 times)

Radicaljack

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Mod to remove DP limits
« on: January 15, 2022, 07:15:05 PM »

I've tried looking and feel like I'm missing something obvious, I just would like a mod to get rid of the DP limits on battles, I hate the officer related rules, makes fighting remnants a matter of annoyance bringing 4 ships at a time, and capturing points for the abilty to field your fleet is just not fun to me. Is there an easier work around or a mod that exists already?

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Mod to remove DP limits
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2022, 07:48:35 PM »

I hate the officer related rules!
Me too!  Makes officers more important than they need to be.

I wished the base game went back to the older way, or least raised max map size in the in-game settings back up to 500 or more.  Diving for settings.json to change this (or some other settings like combat speed multiplier) there instead in the in-game settings is an annoyance.

Null Ganymede

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2022, 08:01:33 PM »

but I *like* frigate fleets

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2022, 08:05:36 PM »

but I *like* frigate fleets
The ship limit is a bit low for that too.  Wished ship limit was raised to, say... 40.  Maybe more if there was a skill that change fleet limit.

It was possible to use about 40 frigates during 0.65a.

Hiruma Kai

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2022, 08:49:21 PM »

In Starsector/starsector-core/data/config/settings.json there are some values you can change.

"minBattleSize":200, # in supplies-to-recover. min value for settings slider
"defaultBattleSize":400, # in supplies-to-recover. starting value for settings slider
"maxBattleSize":400, # in supplies-to-recover. max value for settings slider
"stationDeploymentBonusMult":1, # battlesize is increased by (station cost * this) deployment points
"minFractionOfBattleSizeForSmallerSide":0.4,

Specifically, maxBattleSize can be increased to larger values, although putting more ships on the field may (or may not) have an adverse effect on combat performance depending on your computer.  You could set it to 1000, and then send the in game slider setting all the way up to 1000, and set minFractionOfBattleSizeForSmallerSide to 0.5 while you are at it, and you'd be guaranteed a 500 DP deployment each time, for example.

Radicaljack

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2022, 10:04:18 PM »

In Starsector/starsector-core/data/config/settings.json there are some values you can change.

"minBattleSize":200, # in supplies-to-recover. min value for settings slider
"defaultBattleSize":400, # in supplies-to-recover. starting value for settings slider
"maxBattleSize":400, # in supplies-to-recover. max value for settings slider
"stationDeploymentBonusMult":1, # battlesize is increased by (station cost * this) deployment points
"minFractionOfBattleSizeForSmallerSide":0.4,

Specifically, maxBattleSize can be increased to larger values, although putting more ships on the field may (or may not) have an adverse effect on combat performance depending on your computer.  You could set it to 1000, and then send the in game slider setting all the way up to 1000, and set minFractionOfBattleSizeForSmallerSide to 0.5 while you are at it, and you'd be guaranteed a 500 DP deployment each time, for example.

Thanks a lot! Not worried about performance, just want to be able to field all my ships vs remnant fleets, makes no sense to me why the handicap is still so severe because of officer spam.

MrTwister

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2022, 03:45:31 AM »

Yeah, set max battle size to 800-1000 in settings.json and it won't be an issue anymore.

koprus

• Ensign
  • Just noob mercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2022, 11:42:20 AM »

This is THE most infuriating thing for me too, deploying with 4 ships when enemy has 10 and loading game again and having to hunt for mercs that will eventually leave and have to go search for more just such a pain seriously, sooo if i set "minFractionOfBattleSizeForSmallerSide":0.4 to 1 will it change it to same fleet sizes for both teams?

MissLassThe43th

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2023, 10:23:32 AM »

sooo if i set "minFractionOfBattleSizeForSmallerSide":0.4 to 1 will it change it to same fleet sizes for both teams?

I think if you put 1 it would just give you ALL the deployment points, which would make it very much not work. I suppose it works on a slider scale from 0 to 1 regarding the max battle size, meaning 0.1 would mean that the ship limit for the smaller fleet is 10 % of the max battle size.