Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Show Hard Flux in the Combat UI  (Read 679 times)

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Show Hard Flux in the Combat UI
« on: January 14, 2022, 09:14:38 AM »

I know this has been suggested before but I think the new patch has made it even more relevant.

The new patch has added a couple mechanics that interact much more directly with hard flux:
- Polarized armor means hard flux directly determines combat stats
- new phase mechanics mean that hard flux is essentially the limiting factor for phase ship survivability/escapability since soft flux will be quickly dissipated in phase

In addition, I think seeing hard flux in combat would be very valuable for diagnosing when ships are high on flux due to being under pressure, vs when they are applying pressure and not necessarily in danger.

Also I think it might help players learn/notice when their loadouts are overfluxxed.

I think previously, it was suggested that hard flux should appear as a darker bar inside the main flux bar, and that still seems like a good and easily implemented solution.

edit: apparently there is already a little notch that shows hard flux that I somehow never noticed, but I think the suggestion of showing hard flux as a darker portion of the main flux bar would be easier for (dumb) people like me to see.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 10:36:51 AM by intrinsic_parity »

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Show Hard Flux in the Combat UI
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2022, 09:23:23 AM »

What do you mean by Combat UI? It's already shown there by a little notch, but yeah it could use to be a bit more obvious.
Please don't take me too seriously.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2022, 09:25:18 AM »

I never really thought of this. I noticed it fairly quickly a long way ago and I assumed it's common knowledge.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2022, 09:27:47 AM »

Oh wow, I never noticed that, guess I'm just dumb. It could be more obvious for sure.

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2022, 09:28:58 AM »

Having hard flux in the darker shade of green (such as used for unselected weapons) would help differentiate at a glance.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2022, 09:29:21 AM »

You know it's bad when even the veterans don't complete the tutorials in main menu heh.
Please don't take me too seriously.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2022, 09:34:07 AM »

I did the tutorial, but it was like **checks order confirmation email** more than 7 years ago.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2022, 10:29:36 AM »

I did the tutorials when I first played the game about eight or more years ago, and I did not notice the notch until years later.

The notch blends too much into the flux bar almost to the point of invisibility.  It needs to stand out more.

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2022, 12:39:51 PM »

Yeah, the vertical bar is fine but a separate color might not be bad. Does polarized armor put a % on the left side of the UI like EWM? I can’t recall. If not, that might be helpful.