Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New ship concepts !  (Read 6154 times)

hydremajor

• Captain
    • View Profile
New ship concepts !
« on: April 27, 2012, 12:34:28 PM »

So yeah here's the idea, Tech levels all show a sort of "gimmick" of somesort

Stronger PD potential, Higher Flux handling, Greater mobility....Blah blah blah list goes on for f*cking ever....

But there is ONE thing that I havent seen yet in this game and it could make the game SO much more epic in some ways

***BEFORE YOU READ FURTHER*** anyone can input their own idea of concept let it be written down OR actual sketches/graphics/sprites

MY idea is:

Hull based weapons Ships: now some of yous may be wondering "the hell does that even mean ?!", well its fairly simple really, some capital ships/Cruisers would basically be FLYING GUNS

The idea would be that a ship is dotated with one un-switchable/non-moveable weapon built in its very hull

The weapon would be so insanely massive that the whole ship is basicly BUILT AROUND the weapon, to protect it, aim it and move it ultimately making it a massive space cannon of DOOOOOOM

-And to peoples who are going to argue with me its "unrealistic"

Hitler DID order super mortar cannon for just a SINGLE BATTLE, and YES he won the f*cking fight using it (took less than 20 shells of thoses to bring his ennemies to their knees) SO YES it makes LOADS of sense, history prooves it...

-To peoples who say its "OverPowered" or "HAXX" or other kinds of bullsh*t I DON'T care to hear

Its not THAT bad considering a Sunder is currently the most obscenely overpowered ship in its class
(a simple DESTROYER with a fire power rivaling that of a Cruiser or HELL even capital ships ?!)
Consider thoses as the equivalants of the Sunder only in the Capital Ship class

-To peoples who say "noobs and their deathstar beams" here's to you

Considering the way I see thoses ships being made they'd only have small slots available for PD and be pretty much free kills to anything that gets too close
(save for frigates wich universaly suck for anything else outside point capping considering they risk getting gutted in less than 5 seconds, them things don't know how to take a bullet)
Plus their weapons being so massive they'd have low ammo AND take quite some time to reload, however thoses main guns WOULD pack un-matchable firepower by any other ship class

armoredcookie

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: New ship concepts !
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 01:07:59 PM »

-To peoples who say its "OverPowered" or "HAXX" or other kinds of bullsh*t I DON'T care to hear

That's a lot of people, including myself. The tachyon lance is already quite overpowered and ships like the Odyssey can mount 3 of them, and other ships in mods can mount even more. Wouldn't such an overpowered weapon greatly imbalance the game, and thus make it less fun to play? When all the enemy or yourself does is spam the weapon and watch as the disabled ship update appears in the battle feed? As for your argument about the Sunder, I've found that as a fairly bad ship. It has little to no anti-fighter capability, incredibly weak hull and armor for it's class, as well as very bad flux dissipation compared to the amount of weapons it has. And the Sunder doesn't rival the power of a cruiser or a capital ship, unless the ship is a very low end cruiser (unless you can explain what loadout with a Sunder can actually match the brute force of an Eagle or even an Enforcer( a ship in the Sunder's own class ).

Personally I really don't like the idea, especially on ship classes larger than a destroyer. Sure a frigate with 1 small mount and 1 large mount sounds okay, but, an extremely large mount running down the middle of an Eagle or a Conquest? It just sounds incredibly broken.

In addition to this, this effect can already be replicated in mods, through putting high ordnance points on a long range, high powered weapon.

NHH

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 01:32:40 PM »

reminds me of the space ships in halo these are pretty much 1 big gun with smaller guns and a cargo bay

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 01:53:38 PM »

Or the planet cracker in wing commander 3....
Or vaeygr battleship in homeworld....
Or the mass driver equipped dreadnoughts in sots....
Etc etc it's not exactly a revolutionary idea.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 01:56:00 PM »

Mass Driver dreadnoughts in SOTS and SOTSII could fight back, i mean, they had alot of medium turrets to hold off possible retaliations, and they had firepower of cruisers.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 02:09:31 PM »

You can mod it in if you'd like. It doesn't quite fit with how combat works in this game and its lore though: its just way too easily countered by fighters/frigates/fast destroyers. Also, what about flux? A massive gun has a massive flux demand... Flux considerations are basically why the Sunder, even with a Large energy mount, really does not have the firepower of a cruiser or capital ship - in terms of actual, prolonged firepower I would put it as about even with a Hammerhead, but without the armor/hull/speed/pd... I honestly consider its sole role to be toting around a Tachyon lance, but even then I don't use them. With some tweaks they may actually fill the role of glass cannon, we will see.

Basically, it would either suck or be overpowered - there is not much middle ground. Hell, look at the Tachyon lance - 32 OP for a lousy 200 dps, but it can dominate an entire battle by being effective, concentrated firepower that supports on demand.

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 02:13:56 PM »

This suggestion doesn't fit into the tactical approach of the game imho. It would fit into a more arcade style gameplay though (as many mods are).

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 02:19:55 PM »

We've kicked around something similar internally a while ago. If you look on the Onslaught sprite, you can actually see some forward-pointing guns on the prongs - where the 2 large hardpoints are.

So, you might see some hardwired guns in ships at some point, to give some hulls a bit more flavor - but I doubt it'd be anything particularly powerful, but rather along the lines of existing weapons - just not refittable. But this isn't something I'm entirely sold on, and it's relatively low on the priority list to give added consideration. On the other hand, I can see mods putting it to good use, should it ever become a feature.

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 02:27:39 PM »

I would've thought such a system would be good for fighters. If you could have weapons specially flagged as non-lootable and have them only appear on those hulls.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 02:34:24 PM »

Well, it's not strictly necessary for fighters - you can't refit them anyway, and whether their weapons are lootable or not doesn't have to be tied together with this. Just the "hidden" flag is enough to do the job.

As for having separate weapons for fighters... this is something I'm a bit torn on. I like having the same set of weapons, just so you know what's up - you can say, "oh, hey, it's got 2 light machine guns - I know what that is, have a few mounted on my Lasher". But it does seem to add some difficulties to balancing.

Alrenous

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 09:42:54 PM »

You've probably thought of these, but just in case,

1. Give every fighter a -20% damage hull mod. Call it 'fighter miniaturization' or something.

2. Severely limit flux capacity. Or, to allow shields, dissipation.
2.a If the Broadsword could only fire in short bursts, and had to spend half their time dissipating, it would effectively give them a 50% nerf without touching the weapons.
2.b Limiting dissipation would make most ships similar to bombers, in that they essentially have to run away and reload.

Distant third, only included because it would work,
3. Buff everything else.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 02:03:11 AM by Alrenous »

Zani

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2012, 06:16:41 AM »

Well, In Space Pirates and Zombies there is this Hull which comes with a mount that is practically built to house a Large Mining Laser, and changing it is fairly useless. I think it was a Mule or something. It only accepted a Large Mining Laser ( think large) and if you wanted to change it I'm fairly sure it only let you select weapons from one mount smaller, or something like that. I haven't played for a while and I'm not entirely sure...

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2012, 09:25:55 AM »

Isn't that kinda the point of the Dagger bomber wing? That it is basically just a flying torpedo launcher?
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.