Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: A few balance changes for more flavour  (Read 447 times)

brroleg

• Ensign
    • View Profile
A few balance changes for more flavour
« on: January 13, 2022, 06:30:48 AM »

1. AMB is very good weapon to the point it outperforms heavy blaster
- completely change HB into medium sized version of AMB, for example make it 2 barreled version. And for good measure nerf slightly AMB by reducing its ammo from 20 to 10.
So, small AMB: 1400 dmg(same as now) and 10 ammo
Medium AMB: 2 projectiles each doing 1400 dmg and same 10 ammo
10 ammo maybe problem for current AI behaviour, so make AI to shoot both AMB versions only at enemy shields close to max, or only at armor, and dont shoot fighters at all with it.

2. Mining weapons(mining blaster and mining laser) are boring.
- Make them give a fleet some industrial bonus, there is no mining currently in game, so maybe bonus to salvage?
- Change their damage type to HE or Frag

3. Frigates are pretty weak late game. You tried to fix it with skills, but i think it failed.
- Make new supercapital ship which has hangars for frigates. So when this supercap is in combat it can repair and resupply friendly frigates on the fly, frigates just fly and dock with supercap when their consumable ammo depleted or when their armor is below 50%, and after some time they spend inside supercap they fly out fresh and loaded. And out of combat supercap makes frigates to not consume fuel or supply(like it carries frigates inside). Only 1 supercap per fleet.

4. Last updates completely killed human administrators, they are not fun and not efficient
- Leave both player admin and AI admins as it is now.
- Make human admins have thematic skills. For example one human admin was a farmer, so he gives good bonuses to farming, other was a miner so he gives good bonuses to mining, etc.

Thats all for now  :)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 12:47:19 PM by brroleg »

Nightstrasza

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: A few balance changes for more flavour
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2022, 06:50:59 AM »

1. AMB costs also equal amount of flux, not many can sustain it's cost and with low range gotta eat lots of firepower from enemy to get close, unless you use phase ships but everyone knows they are stupidly broken and I wish were removed. Heavy Blaster is also fine, it's an upgrade to mining laser and a middle ground between flux costs, limited ammo and low range of AMB and better efficiency than mining laser while also providing a burst potential the pew pew laser lacks.

2. Changing mining laser to any other damage type might as well kill it, frag damage is the worst damage type out of all, it's horrible even when hitting armor stripped enemy, rather have a chain gun instead.

3. No thanks.

4. Don't see a reason why player couldn't get a background too, we could choose it at the character creation with the benefit that it could also minorly affect fleet, such as, farmer could give a very slight, like 5% supply consumption reduction since they make more efficient meals or some other explanation.

brroleg

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2022, 07:30:12 AM »

Oh i just got new one

5. At late game we have a lot of AI cores not providing any gameplay

- Make new hull mod which enables AI core to be inserted into any ship.

JudasIscariot

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2022, 08:04:27 AM »

Oh i just got new one

5. At late game we have a lot of AI cores not providing any gameplay

- Make new hull mod which enables AI core to be inserted into any ship.

Or maybe just refactor the current automated ship hullmod so that the player can use it but have it cost a story point or something of the sort so that the player isn't incentivized to replace every human officer with an AI...

TontonBoo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2022, 01:14:53 PM »

Last updates completely killed human administrators

And then some. Colonies can do very well even without admin perks so no worries there. But it was one more stuff to manage and to look for - a side activity of some sort. I miss swapping admins depending on the situation and their skill set. And my own Big Boss is no better or worse just free. Again some complexity was lost there.

No clue what Alex will do next but I sure hope some love goes to colonies even if just a little bit.