Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Is this too dark for Starsector?  (Read 2251 times)

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Is this too dark for Starsector?
« on: January 10, 2022, 04:33:07 PM »

Think Starsector's atmosphere is dark enough that this wouldn't be too out of place? Seems pretty cruel to subject crew to the player trying to be a "cool boss"

Also, trying to match the quality of David's prose (and art for that matter) is an exercise in futility. That guy needs to take it down a notch so mod makers have a chance of creating content that isn't out of place in the game /rant

Helldiver

• Captain
  • space fruit
    • View Profile
Re: Is this too dark for Starsector?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2022, 04:56:41 PM »

With the Sector featuring pirates that threaten to slay your officers and sell your crew as slaves I think we're past that level.

Now, is that a teaser of an upcoming Starship Legends feature? New ways to interact with your crew and ships, maybe something to alter reputation traits with events? Yes please.
Afflictor bean plushie that glows purple when you squeeze it
30$

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2022, 06:42:34 PM »

Hm. While I think that does fit the setting, it is a bit darker than anywhere the actual gameplay goes. I certainly wouldn't be picking option two there, regardless of what benefit it might or might not have.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2022, 07:46:01 PM »

Now, is that a teaser of an upcoming Starship Legends feature? New ways to interact with your crew and ships, maybe something to alter reputation traits with events? Yes please.
Yup! I've been working on polishing ruthless sector and overhauling starship legends for the last month or so. This is an event that can occur when a ship's crew becomes loyal enough. It allows you to convert a negative trait to a positive, but reduces loyalty by one level.

Hm. While I think that does fit the setting, it is a bit darker than anywhere the actual gameplay goes. I certainly wouldn't be picking option two there, regardless of what benefit it might or might not have.
Hmm... maybe I'll tone down this particular variation on the event. Most events like this allow you to fix a negative trait by firing crew or making them do dangerous work (which always results in at least two deaths...)

Helldiver

• Captain
  • space fruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2022, 08:20:13 PM »

Hm. While I think that does fit the setting, it is a bit darker than anywhere the actual gameplay goes.

Don't the vanilla quests (Academy random missions IIRC) have a text event (similar to the above) where you can chose to leave a pirate to die in a wreck away from the Core? Something where they had their suit bolted or welded to a bulkhead by their peers and were left there and after freeing the guy and getting info from him you can opt to throw them back into the drifting derelict.
Giving your crew some experimental TriTach combat meds/implants doesn't feel that much darker in tone imo.

Yup! I've been working on polishing ruthless sector and overhauling starship legends for the last month or so. This is an event that can occur when a ship's crew becomes loyal enough. It allows you to convert a negative trait to a positive, but reduces loyalty by one level.

woo
Afflictor bean plushie that glows purple when you squeeze it
30$

SOLDIER First

• Ensign
  • Not interested.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2022, 08:47:49 PM »

I don't think it's so dark as to ill-fit the tone of the rest of the game, but... well, it makes me feel bad about what I would be doing to my crew, so I probably wouldn't pick this option myself. For my own feelings' sake I would prefer a somewhat less forceful option, but again, in terms of writing tone and quality, I think it fits Starsector just fine.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2022, 12:14:13 AM »

The game's tone is somewhat all over the place. Background information and gameplay are rather dark (there have been several genocides, accidental or not, and even now crew is cheap and the only issue with them dying is that now you have to go get more of them), while missions and quests themselves don't really delve into anything that would be very out of place in the modern world. Maybe besides the level of corruption, and only for you westerners at that...

MajorTheRed

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2022, 10:49:52 AM »

Doesn't seems out of place to me.
When you pay attention to details of quests (especially the main one), there is a awful lot of dark things happening (not completely out of place to our world as someone mention, but both are compatible):
-Tri-Tachyon employees are designated by numbers, executive level are always preparing for life-threatening betrayal between eachother
-"clean up missions" by whatever factions on out-core black-ops
-the level of madness at Kanta's Den (combined with suggestions of inbreeding)
-life conditions in Hegemony hives
-the creepiness of everything related to AIs
Those are small details but combined together they paint a quite dark setting. Anyway, I'm marveled by the level of dedication of some modders here. Starship lLegends is already quite flesh out, can't imagine how much time it takes to write all this side quests, interaction dialog and storylines.

Personal opinion: as long as it go to the level of 40k ("In the grimdark darkness of the black depth of a dark future, there is only darkness....") and still connect to the audience it's fine.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2022, 10:50:55 AM »

There's also the world with the massive cryovault that by complete coincidence is also a major supplier of harvested organs. Nothing fishy going on there!

shoi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2022, 11:04:04 AM »

there are worse implications in vanilla.

Jade Tendency

• Lieutenant
  • Fourth Olympus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2022, 02:24:17 AM »

Instead of an invasive procedure, maybe some fancy smancy new implants to shield their fragile meat brains from the effects of P-space

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2022, 05:35:11 PM »

Loving all the examples of vanilla villainy  ;D

Instead of an invasive procedure, maybe some fancy smancy new implants to shield their fragile meat brains from the effects of P-space
I really like the idea of implants. I think it makes more sense in-lore, and it isn't suggestive of forced lobotomies... Thanks for the suggestion!

Ramiel

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2022, 06:46:29 PM »

More quests? Maybe with branching paths? Yes, please!

Also, seeing as we have bionically augmented bodyguards fight for our amusement, while we discuss ways to steal and kill others with the bosses? Jihadists blowing civilians for "heresy"? Nations burning entire planets out of convenience? I doubt it's out of the ordinary.....

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2022, 06:57:08 PM »

More quests? Maybe with branching paths? Yes, please!
Nothing too crazy, just a few bar events that offer interactions with ship reputations. Intel on famous flagships and derelicts will still be the only thing starship legends offers that could reasonably be considered quests.

Coil

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2022, 01:22:05 AM »

Hm. While I think that does fit the setting, it is a bit darker than anywhere the actual gameplay goes.

It's darker than saturation bombing AKA genocide???