Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Commerce Split  (Read 2297 times)

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Commerce Split
« on: January 10, 2022, 09:08:37 AM »

Goal: Re-work Commerce into a multi stage building in the same manner the military base.

Reason: I like having access to a market, I dislike the stability malus and industry requirement, and I don't really care about an extra bucket of money on top of all the pre-existing ones.

How I imagine this would work is that Commerce would start out as a structure, which when built does nothing except add a market. Let's also say that for the sake of argument this also gives -1 stability just for continunity.
So you pay for access to a market (and your colony showing up on the best buy/sell lists) with some upkeep and some minor stability loss.

This structure could then be upgraded, and doing so turns it into an industry and adds the current income/stability effects.
It's also possible that there could be more than 1 upgrade level, so it would be possible to spread the income vs. stability tradeoff a bit wider, and have the player spend more money to achieve the higher income boost.

One possible arrangment might be:
  • Colony Market (Structure) - Adds a market to the colony, -1 Stability
  • Trader's Bazaar (Industry) - Adds 10% to colony income, -2 Stability
  • Commerce (Industry) - Adds 25% to colony income, -3 Stability

What to do with the holosuite though?
Well the two (or however many) commerce stages are easy, the same bonus, just scaled to match.
Commerce is the same as now, so +50%.  (Total +75%)
The new Bazaar is (approx.) half that, so +25%.  (Total +35%)

Does the basic colony structure really need to put a holosuite in it?
On one hand you could argue yes due to continuity, and the military base/patrol HQ already setting the precedent.
But on the other it doesn't really matter imo.
If it was able to be put into the basic market structure, it should only really do something local and small. Like maybe boost the income, but only from the population (hiring out holosuites to the public or w/e), or reduce the tariff a bit (this might have to be adopted into the other stages as well).

So our potential final arrangement could look like:
  • Colony Market (Structure) - Adds a market to the colony, -1 Stability (Holosuite reduces tariff to 20%)
  • Trader's Bazaar (Industry) - Adds 10% to colony income, -2 Stability (Holosuite increases income by an additional 25% and reduces tariff to 10%)
  • Commerce (Industry) - Adds 25% to colony income, -3 Stability (Holosuite increases income by an additional 50% and removes tariff)

"But I don't want to build a market because it makes me press a button when it didn't before."
The same workaround that exists now will still work - Don't build a market/commerce.
Nothing would change in that regard.
Although it would be nice if there were a setting somewhere to toggle which opens by default. Or just straight up swap the behaviour round and always have storage be the default.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Commerce Split
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2022, 09:58:56 AM »

I want a basic market soooo much on my colonies just so I can sell excess stuff in cargo, but I obviously don't want to build Commerce everywhere. This would be an amazing QoL change.
Please don't take me too seriously.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2022, 10:43:00 AM »

I don't think there's a point to splitting Commerce's bonus income. If you're going for it, you're going for the max bonus, as it takes an industry slot.
So long the income increase isn't gone, I don't really care.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2022, 10:49:59 AM »

I think the market on a structure then the income bonus with an industry is a good idea, but I also think it should just be 2 levels, not 3.

Jackundor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2022, 04:25:55 AM »

I think the market on a structure then the income bonus with an industry is a good idea, but I also think it should just be 2 levels, not 3.
yeah, basically. Don't see why you would need a lesser version of commerce when you already use an industry slot for it and get a market

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2022, 05:38:49 AM »

For extra fun, NPC markets without the structure should not have an Open Market.

Do something similar for the Black Market. If the local government isn't tolerating wide-scale smuggling (i.e. an industry), then the only "black market" deals would be through individuals.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2022, 06:08:00 AM »

I would like Commerce with the income but without the market.  I do not want more mouse clicks to access part of my storage.

My market is the zombie pirate base that inevitably spawns near my colonies.  Mainly because they have no tariffs, while my colony does.  Bad Commerce!

As for extra income, I would like the +50% income to return, if the stability malus remains, but the item boosts to be changed.  I would be fine with +25% income if the stability malus was removed or reduced to -1.

"But I don't want to build a market because it makes me press a button when it didn't before."
The same workaround that exists now will still work - Don't build a market/commerce.
And lose the income?  Don't think so.

I would tolerate the market more if they had no tariffs.  But tariffs AND more clicks to access storage is an annoyance.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 06:12:13 AM by Megas »

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2022, 06:11:32 AM »

The solution there would be to change the default selection for player colonies so it is the same with or without an open market.

BobExplains

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2022, 06:28:12 PM »

What about making it so that part or all of the 30% Tariff is added to colony income at the end of month?

Presumably some of it is spent on administration costs etc. associated with legal trades on the market, but lets say 2/3rds or "20%" goes towards colony income and 10% is "lost".

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2022, 06:04:09 AM »

Now that -1/-10% pirate bases may not spawn next to the player constantly, I may find the market more useful to pawn excess stockpiles I cannot possibly haul long distance.  In previous releases, I could easily dump loot at pirate bases, but now I need now to travel far to the nearest one.  (Don't get me wrong, I do not miss whack-a-mole pirate bases constantly spawning in my colonies' backyard.)

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2022, 12:54:37 AM »

Yunru's "preview" is p. rad.

Farya

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2022, 07:35:06 AM »

Honestly I feel like Internal Market should be a default feature for every of your colonies. With production industries expanding the variety of goods for sale just like now. And Commerce should instead make ships and weapons from Independent list appear for sale, with even more interesting stuff when the ports are unregulated. Would potentially make selling pirates blueprints even more of occasional use - stuff which is known to them would sometimes be smuggled for sale.